Search similar:

uniqs

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

[R@H] Is anyone running Rosetta@Home anymore?

Is anyone running Rosetta@Home anymore? I hardly see any Rosetta@Home specific posts, mostly Folding@Home posts.

TD Nickell
Premium Member
join:2010-07-27
Federal Way, WA

TD Nickell

Premium Member

I do,but if i have a problem i get my answer at the Rosetta site.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to trparky

MVM

to trparky
I'm running both R@H and F@H but don't always keep an eye on things, so sometimes the clients stop and it takes some time before I notice.

In particular the PS3 (running F@H) seems to be picky about power issues and when it is turned back on, instead of restarting F@H (autostart is on) it sits at a screen complaining that it wasn't shut down properly.

The R@H client at home is on a computer with UPS so normally runs through power interruptions. However when I just checked the last time we lost power it was too long for the UPS and while the computer restarted, the R@H client didn't.

At work I use distributed computing projects for burn-in testing before putting new computers into production. For that purpose R@H has been far superior since a single client works with any number of cpus (something that the F@H SMP client finally can do too) and since it provides a success/failure result by computer for every single workunit processed. This is another reason why my level of contribution to R@H is so erratic since I don't always work with new computers.

As for the amount of discussions in the forum, the R@H project came late to Team Helix and while there are a fair number of members participating it never reached the popularity of F@H (which was already well established by that time). With the variety of clients for F@H there tend to be more reason to discuss client news and issues while R@H is piggy backed on the BOINC platform (for the most part it is maintenance free).

So yes, I'm still running R@H and thanks for the reminder to check on mine.

jimhamilton
Facto Non Verba
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Emmetsburg, IA

jimhamilton to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
I run it but it but rarely have any problems.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to trparky

to trparky
The team founder, BBRTeamHelix See Profile tells me there are currently 23 active participants folding for our Rosetta@Home team.

TD Nickell
Premium Member
Federal Way, WA

TD Nickell

Premium Member

said by Sunny:

The team founder, BBRTeamHelix See Profile tells me there are currently 23 active participants folding for our Rosetta@Home team.

Yes,that number stays pretty much the same over a long period of time.
The folks that live in areas where its hot in the summer time will shut down for a while than start again when the weather cools down.

mig
MVM
join:2000-10-26
Anytown, USA

mig to trparky

MVM

to trparky
I have run it sparingly for the last year. I still read David Baker's Journal over at R@H. Let's those interested see what area's they are researching. A little technical for me, but then again I'm a simpleton.

Last pc's have been laptops that I haven't had the courage to put it on. Maybe I'll do a build soon and see what it will do.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
I still run it. I run project for the other team here at DSLR on BOINC so it is 50-50.

I'd love to have more data to report, anyone wants to join in, they ARE warmly invited!

TD Nickell
Premium Member
Federal Way, WA

TD Nickell to jimhamilton

Premium Member

to jimhamilton
said by jimhamilton:

I didn't know that you were folding for Rosetta,Jim.
Learn something new every day.

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe

said by TD Nickell:

said by jimhamilton:

I didn't know that you were folding for Rosetta,Jim.
Learn something new every day.

Sounds like a neat new nickname for him "Rosetta Jim"

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

2 recommendations

dbmaven to trparky

Mod

to trparky
According to the stats page, I'm leading the pack on R@H - averaging something like 4500 'units' day. Last week I passed the 1.5 million mark.

I run it on a new Intel Core i7 (4 core Hyperthreading), where I limit it to 6 threads, on an AMD 4 Core where I limit it to 3 threads, and on a Centrino Duo laptop, where I limit it to 1.

For the most part it just runs along happily - there was a stretch early in the year where they shut down the server(s) for maintenance - but other than that it's 'set and forget' pretty much.

TD Nickell
Premium Member
Federal Way, WA

1 recommendation

TD Nickell

Premium Member

said by dbmaven:

According to the stats page, I'm leading the pack on R@H - averaging something like 4500 'units' day. Last week I passed the 1.5 million mark.

I run it on a new Intel Core i7 (4 core Hyperthreading), where I limit it to 6 threads, on an AMD 4 Core where I limit it to 3 threads, and on a Centrino Duo laptop, where I limit it to 1.

For the most part it just runs along happily - there was a stretch early in the year where they shut down the server(s) for maintenance - but other than that it's 'set and forget' pretty much.

Thomas is back and it won't take him long to get here,db.Ya better crank up everything you have.
I can't get to much more out of mine.
TD Nickell

1 recommendation

TD Nickell to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
It won't be long before you pass me,Tom!
I have that one million mark in my head light's.Another few day's and I'll be there.

jimhamilton
Facto Non Verba
Premium Member
join:2002-03-21
Emmetsburg, IA

jimhamilton to TD Nickell

Premium Member

to TD Nickell
My Boinc name is Hammer. I'm running a R@H on the cpu and I've been trying out GPUGrid with my video card. I ran Einstein@home for a liitle while but got too many errors. GPUGrid seems to work well but my little GT 220 is pretty slow.

TD Nickell
Premium Member
Federal Way, WA

TD Nickell

Premium Member

said by jimhamilton:

My Boinc name is Hammer. I'm running a R@H on the cpu and I've been trying out GPUGrid with my video card. I ran Einstein@home for a liitle while but got too many errors. GPUGrid seems to work well but my little GT 220 is pretty slow.

Hammer man!
Now i know who you are.