spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Chrisa

join:2012-02-25

How fast is this?

I'm getting ready to move and can't get cable, dsl etc but found a company offering wireless internet they use line of sight and use a antenna looking at another antenna not really sure what type of tech it is but they have been around for years.

The fastest thing they offer is 5,000k down and 1,000k up for $105. Now i don't understand is that kilobits, or kilobytes? In my current house i get 10.64Mbps or around 1.1 MB a sec when i download a file.

How fast is 5,000k compared to what i have now?

Can anyone help?

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

Welcome to BBR.

Communication networks are specified in terms of bits per second. That can be confusing then doing measuring computer transfer speed since computers move chunks of data called bytes. 1-byte = 8-bits

Kilo (1,000) and Mega 1,000,000) are metric prefixes. So a 5,000kps (kilo bits per second) is the same as 5 Mbps (mega bits per second)

5Mbps is about half the speed of your current 10.64Mbps connection.

/tom

Dark

@att.net
reply to Chrisa

If you like to play games like world of warcraft stay away from wisp it not very good i have a 6Mb hookup and the lag is so bad like 7k on a good day i had to give up playing online games.even watching youtube lags bad.

Chrisa

join:2012-02-25

Comcast says i'll be to far from the road about 1200ft -1500ft to get service so i don't have many options.

I wonder if i setup a modem and a antenna at the end of my road and used it to get internet at my house if they would let you do that. I don't think they would because technically it's not at my house that way.

I've seen other houses 1,000+ feet from the road and they have comcast but they told me i was to far away really dose not seem fair yes i would be a extra few hundred feet but there service is fine at 1,000 feet + at my friends house just down the road. A previous small cable company had ran the cable to his house in the 80s and that's how he ended up with comcast.

I could run the wire myself but what if comcast was right and the signal i got was very poor. Would be a lot of work for nothing.

Thanks for the input and help! and yes i do play games online

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

said by Chrisa:

Comcast says i'll be to far from the road about 1200ft -1500ft to get service so i don't have many options.

I wonder if i setup a modem and a antenna at the end of my road and used it to get internet at my house if they would let you do that. I don't think they would because technically it's not at my house that way.

Probably has to do with where the nearest node is relative to your house.

As far as installing the modem on the pole talk to them about it but probably not. If you are able to go that route will need to run power to the modem, I'd recommend using fiber between your house and the pole. It also means you are limited to Internet, no Cable TV.

As far as latency it is affected by the type of connection but a lot depends on the ISP. If you know someone nearby that uses the WISP try doing a speed test. As a gamer raw speed is less important then latency.

»speedtest.net/
»myspeed.visualware.com/index.php

/tom

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to Dark

said by Dark :

If you like to play games like world of warcraft stay away from wisp it not very good i have a 6Mb hookup and the lag is so bad like 7k on a good day i had to give up playing online games.even watching youtube lags bad.

Hunh??? 7000 ms latency? how does You Tube lag its not interactive. You mean it can't keep up with the stream? That is not necessarily latency.

Maybe your WISP is over subscribed. While they market it to everyone it really isn't... it should be for those that really need it... those who have access to wire that use it just needlessly cloh it up, for those who have no choice.

WISP certainly beats SAT.
--

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
kudos:1

I agree. A blanket statement like 'Dark' made above is VERY misleading. WISP's done right are as fast as, or faster than DSL or cable. I think he is confused as to what technology he is using as those numbers DO sound like Satellite, not Fixed Wireless.

Here is a WISP connection pinging google dns.

Latency is better than most DSL connections.

> ping 8.8.8.8
8.8.8.8 64 byte ping: ttl=55 time=37 ms
8.8.8.8 64 byte ping: ttl=55 time=36 ms