All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

[poll] where will Peyton Manning play next season?

Since it's all but assured that he'll be out, where's he going to play next season?

For completeness sake, I listed all NFL teams, not only those in need of a QB.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

I'd say it's 50-50 whether he plays at all, due to the nerves in his arm not regenerating enough to throw well yet. If he does I think it'll be with the Dolphins.

OZZY7
Born Again Atheist
Premium Member
join:2011-06-11

OZZY7 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
I don't think he'll play anywhere. Except maybe in his backyard.

He's had how many surgeries on his neck? 4-5? He has a "dead-arm" from all reports. He wanted to try to play last season, and the Colts still thought "what's his face" was a better option.

He's done.

Why would anyone sign him for what he'd consider "minimum money"? You'd be better off with a rookie, with a live arm.

skrud
join:2002-05-19
Barrington, IL

skrud to aurgathor

to aurgathor
If you need a QB and he will sign a incentive or min deal why wouldnt you take a flyer on him?

He has a nice track record.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to aurgathor

to aurgathor
This poll is already borked..I mean come on the Giants .....Id bet my left kidney on that one not happening...

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

If some people chose to vote silly, be that way.

I was thinking about removing teams that definitely don't need a QB for next season like the Giants, Patriots, Packers, Saints, etc., but there's nothing certain -- Eli may get into the car accident that knocks him out for a year, for example.

In any case, I think there's more than one team that would be happy to take him at the right price, mostly based on whether he can play or not, and how well. He definitely doesn't worth $28M, that's for sure, but given the upside, he worth gambling on.

TD Nickell
Premium Member
join:2010-07-27
Federal Way, WA

TD Nickell to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
I just had triple disk surgery on my neck last week.
With mine they went in from the front.On his i seen the scar on the back of the neck.
Why they had to go in three times would scare me.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
Dolphins

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
Indy

btB
@rr.com

btB to aurgathor

Anon

to aurgathor
Unless he is crazy like Kurt Angle, Manning should just retire.

Spork35
join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA

Spork35 to aurgathor

to aurgathor
He's not leaving the Colts. Peyton is a smart guy and knows even a pay cut to stay on the Colts is more then he'd make anywhere else. The Colts will pay him if nothing more then to have him as a QB tutor/backup to Luck.

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
TO MY COWBOYS!

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
I'm just curious about the purpose of this poll. Are Manning and his agent going to check the results and sign with whichever team wins the poll? Or retire if the winner is 'he won't play anywhere'?

Or is the purpose simply so that one of us "experts" can say 'See? I told you so' once Manning makes a decision?

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness

I'd guess the purpose is to talk about something interesting upcoming in the NFL at a time which there's not a lot of NFL stuff to talk about.

Fishead1
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08
Bronx, NY

Fishead1 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
He's definitely going to the Giants.Peyton plays the first half and 4th quarter Eli plays the second half of each game.What could be better.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57 to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
said by fatness:

I'd guess the purpose is to talk about something interesting upcoming in the NFL at a time which there's not a lot of NFL stuff to talk about.

Don't need a poll for that. Regular thread works.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

rockotman to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
said by fatness:

Only 160 days until the Hall of Fame game!

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Spork35

to Spork35
said by Spork35:

He's not leaving the Colts. Peyton is a smart guy and knows even a pay cut to stay on the Colts is more then he'd make anywhere else. The Colts will pay him if nothing more then to have him as a QB tutor/backup to Luck.

He won't leave willingly, but he may not have much of choice. My bet is that there's a roughly 67% chance that Indy won't retain him. Due to his age, even if he gets healthy, I don't think he can have more than couple really productive years, and with Luck in there, Indy want to focus on the future, and don't want to be distracted by a possible quarterback controversy. Is he w willing to sign for a minimum and being the second fiddler right now, or in a year? I don't think so, and not because of the money. But even a less than 100% Peyton is likely to be better than several other QBs who started this year.
aurgathor

aurgathor to AB57

to AB57
The purposes of this thread:
a) talk about something that may have a profound impact on the next season (with some luck, he can, in theory, instantly transform a team from pretender to contender)
b) see how well paricipants in this poll can guess the eventual outcome

And given that almost 3 times as many people voted than posted, it seems to me the participation is much higher than it would've been without the poll.

Spork35
Methuen, MA

Spork35 to aurgathor

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

said by Spork35:

He won't leave willingly, but he may not have much of choice. My bet is that there's a roughly 67% chance that Indy won't retain him. Due to his age, even if he gets healthy, I don't think he can have more than couple really productive years, and with Luck in there, Indy want to focus on the future, and don't want to be distracted by a possible quarterback controversy. Is he w willing to sign for a minimum and being the second fiddler right now, or in a year? I don't think so, and not because of the money. But even a less than 100% Peyton is likely to be better than several other QBs who started this year.

How is Luck going to develop without a vet in there to help? Did Aaron Rodgers get good all by himself? I don't see how the Colts can afford to lose him. It doesn't matter if he can play or not his knowledge is enough to justify keeping him around for Luck. Whether he wants to do that is the only question.

Silvanos
It's a new Silvanos experience
Premium Member
join:2002-10-07
Tonawanda, NY

Silvanos to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
Indy retains him for the upcoming year and then trades him to help Luck.

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to Spork35

Premium Member

to Spork35
I don't think Brett ever helped Aaron.
I AM

I AM to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
He should go to the Titans. They have a decent team and only lack a QB. He's already a Legend in Tenessee.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
I think Peyton stays with the Colts.

A football thread, yay!

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness to I AM

to I AM
said by I AM:

I don't think Brett ever helped Aaron.

It's pretty well known that he didn't. And honestly, I can't see Manning signing with any team to tutor a young QB if he thinks he (Manning) has 3 or more good years left. Why would he?
fatness

fatness to Spork35

to Spork35
said by Spork35:

I don't see how the Colts can afford to lose him. It doesn't matter if he can play or not his knowledge is enough to justify keeping him around for Luck.

To keep him the Colts have to give him $28 million in early March, before they even know if his arm nerves have regenerated enough to throw like an NFL QB. Once they give him that money, it's gone. With as many roster holes as the Colts have, and they have one of the least-talented rosters in the league, that $28 million risk will likely be too big for them to take. They'd be better off using it to improve several positions, rather than keep a guy who may only be able to coach QB's.

In order to avoid giving him that $28 million in early March, they have to cut him.

Spork35
Methuen, MA

Spork35

said by fatness:

said by Spork35:

I don't see how the Colts can afford to lose him. It doesn't matter if he can play or not his knowledge is enough to justify keeping him around for Luck.

To keep him the Colts have to give him $28 million in early March, before they even know if his arm nerves have regenerated enough to throw like an NFL QB. Once they give him that money, it's gone. With as many roster holes as the Colts have, and they have one of the least-talented rosters in the league, that $28 million risk will likely be too big for them to take. They'd be better off using it to improve several positions, rather than keep a guy who may only be able to coach QB's.

In order to avoid giving him that $28 million in early March, they have to cut him.

That would be why they have been talking 'restructure'. The $28 million isn't even an option.

"Irsay expects to meet with Manning in the next few days, and the owner told The Indianapolis Star on Tuesday the return of the four-time MVP depends on his willingness to restructure his contract."

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

I think that's a code for Manning signing for close to the minimum salary (under $1M, I think), and with the possibility of being a backup QB.

fatness
subtle

fishing

fatness

I think you're right. And I don't think that's something Manning would accept.

Spork35
Methuen, MA

Spork35 to aurgathor

to aurgathor
It's not about the money per say it's about his ability to play. Given his uncertainty the money needs to reflect that but make no mistake there's still plenty of money there. He might not be making $16-18 million a year but I'm sure they'd offer enough to make him consider it like $9-12 million a year.

"Irsay said that there's "so much uncertainty" involving Peyton's situation, but that his decision (which is not made yet, apparently) won't be "about the money" involved in Peyton's contract."