Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium Member
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA

Voxxjin to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor

Re: [poll] where will Peyton Manning play next season?

I don't think Indy would keep Peyton. Too much money riding on an 'if'. Sure there might be other teams interested in him, but I would bet they would conduct a bunch of tests to see how he throws before they would throw big money at him.

It might not be his preferred plan but if his nerves haven't healed, he should accept the fact and either plan on being a back-up/coach/mentor on a team with a younger QB or start to work in the broadcast booth.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

I just don't think he will go back to Indy period
Expand your moderator at work

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57 to Spork35

Premium Member

to Spork35

Re: [poll] where will Peyton Manning play next season?

said by Spork35:

It's not about the money per say it's about his ability to play. Given his uncertainty the money needs to reflect that but make no mistake there's still plenty of money there. He might not be making $16-18 million a year but I'm sure they'd offer enough to make him consider it like $9-12 million a year.

"Irsay said that there's "so much uncertainty" involving Peyton's situation, but that his decision (which is not made yet, apparently) won't be "about the money" involved in Peyton's contract."

It better damn well be about the money, or else Irsay's an incompetent owner.
Giving 9-12 million to someone who can no longer physically play is only slightly less worse than giving him 28 million. It's money pissed away, regardless.

If Indy keeps him under a restructured contract, it seems that contract would virtually have to be low on base salary, high on incentive money.
Can't play, low money. Play and produce, make some millions. That's fair all around, given the situation.

The NFL is a business, and all players and team execs know that. They don't hand out big money 'for old times sake'-- not even to guys like Manning.

Spork35
join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA

Spork35 to aurgathor

to aurgathor
Irsay is a good business man. He knows just keeping Peyton on the team will sell enough tickets and generate the revenue to make it worth it. A players worth isn't just how they can play on the field. It also keeps him locked up so another team can't get him. It's a game within a game.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· kkimXh08

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
Manning released by Colts. Where will he go?

»espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/ ··· -seasons
»www.colts.com/media-cent ··· 16acfb0d

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Dolphins no doubt about it

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Could Peyton make the Dolphins an instant contender? Maybe, but I think there are better teams, such as the Seahawks.

I think there are 2 approaches to narrow down the possibilities -- first, eliminate the teams he won't play for some reasons.
He won't sign with any team that have a good QB -- Patriots, Steelers, Chargers, Giants, Eagles, Packers, Lions, Saints, Panthers.
He is highly unlikely go to the NFC East, so Cowboys and Redskins are out, too.

With everything else being equal, he'd probably prefer AFC over NFC (so a 'Manning bowl' after a regular season could only take place in the SB), although he may want to go away from AFC South.

The other approach is: Which team would be an instant contender with a reasonably healthy Peyton? Chiefs, Broncos, Seahawks, Texans, just to name a few.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

1 edit

jabarnut

Premium Member

said by aurgathor:

The other approach is: Which team would be an instant contender with a reasonably healthy Peyton? Chiefs, Broncos, Seahawks, Texans, just to name a few.

And then there are the Jets. Yeah, I know...here I go again. But I really do think the Jets have the talent. After all, they've made it to two championship games in recent years.
But they apparently lack some leadership at the QB position, which is something that Manning can obviously provide.
There's a chance it could happen (although none of us really know yet), but I really do think the Jets have enough talent, that Peyton could kick them in the ass and get them to the SB in one shot. (Just my totally unbiased opinion, of course).

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

1 edit

aurgathor

Yes, the Jets definitely have the talent, but they also have Rex Ryan, plus I'm not sure if Peyton wants all that media attention he can get in NYC. I wouldn't rule out the Jets, but I think other teams are more likely.
quote:
9. Jets: Four years after the failed Brett Favre experiment, the Jets have rebuilt the lab — and they’re apparently ready to test out the exact same formula. Though it makes sense for the Jets to upgrade over Mark Sanchez, Peyton Manning and Rex Ryan appear at first blush to be the ultimate oil-water combination. On a regular basis, Rex would say or do something that would prompt Peyton to break out the ol’ “bitter beer face.”

»profootballtalk.nbcsport ··· related/
»nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/4 ··· rts-nfl/ (my favorite )
»sports.yahoo.com/nfl/new ··· s_030612

BTW, looking at the poll results:
1) he won't play
2) Dolphins
3) Colts
are the top 3. We already know that it's not going to be the Colts, and I think there's better than 99% chance that he will sign with an NFL team. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean he'll play, but I think there's a better than 66% chance that he will.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Wherever he goes, history says Peyton will crash and burn on his new team.

»www.businessinsider.com/ ··· o-2012-3

Spork35
Methuen, MA

Spork35

said by FFH5:

No offense but after reading that article and taking note of the source I wouldn't put any stock at all into it since it's 100% pure opinion.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

1 recommendation

AB57

Premium Member

said by Spork35:

said by FFH5:

No offense but after reading that article and taking note of the source I wouldn't put any stock at all into it since it's 100% pure opinion.

Not like anything else posted here in this thread, then.

Spork35
Methuen, MA

Spork35

said by AB57:

said by Spork35:

said by FFH5:

Not like anything else posted here in this thread, then.

No one else is trying to pass off stuff as fact either. The people who wrote that article never heard of Kurt Warner for starters. LOL

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
Peyton interviewing with Broncos, Cardinals, Dolphins. Chiefs made an offer too.

»sports.yahoo.com/blogs/n ··· 576.html
Klis' report said that Manning intends to make a decision by next Tuesday, which is when NFL teams may make formal overtures to non-released free agents

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

jabarnut

Premium Member

The Broncos? Never even crossed my mind. Furthermore, I'm not so sure the Lord would ever approve of that.

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

Peyton Manning arrives at Broncos headquarters to talk with Elway, Fox

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

jabarnut

Premium Member

Wow...that would be a total mind blower. Talk about some controversy. If Peyton didn't deliver there, it would be be all about Tebow, and what he could have done given the chance.
Btw...John sure has gained a little weight, eh?
Getting a lot older too, like me.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Reading some opinion pages in the denverpost, he's not particularly likely to end up there.

There is a pretty good breakdown on the potential suitors, likelyhood, and various factors effecting Peyton's decision.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to jabarnut

Premium Member

to jabarnut
said by jabarnut:

And then there are the Jets.

Sorry Jabarnut, looks like it's not going to be the Jets, who extended Sanchez's contract: »espn.go.com/new-york/nfl ··· -manning

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

jabarnut

Premium Member

Heh...oh well. I just hope Sanchez gets his act together. As you well know, sometimes he plays brilliantly, and other times it looks like he's half asleep and doesn't have a clue what's going on.
quote:
The Jets made Sanchez one of the highest-paid quarterbacks in the NFL after a season in which they openly admitted they weren't pleased with his rate of development. The timing also is curious, coming only hours after they were eliminated from the Manning sweepstakes

The deal includes $20.5 million in guarantees for 2012 and 2013 and $40.5 million in "new" money, bringing his total over five years to $58.25 million, according to sources. He can make an additional $10 million in escalators.

The $58.25 million gives Sanchez the seventh-highest financial package among NFL quarterbacks, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.
Just wow. It appears the Jets certainly do believe in him. Now I've got no choice but to try a little harder to do the same. I've seen him play great, but something just wasn't right last season...that's for sure. (And yeah, I realize part of that of course was that he wasn't getting much protection from the O-line).

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

1 recommendation

AB57

Premium Member

said by jabarnut:

Just wow. It appears the Jets certainly do believe in him.

No, it just means they'd rather have him behind center for now than watch him walk away and then be in a position where they're looking to trade for Rex Grossman.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
Galaxy M31

1 recommendation

jabarnut

Premium Member

LOL! Sorry there, my friend, but Rex is ALL yours. (Grossman, that is...Hey, I'm stuck with my own Rex, and one is enough).

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to jabarnut

to jabarnut
The Jets just threw money in a hole. "He's not good but we couldn't get anyone better, so let's give him more money" doesn't seem like a wise strategy to me.
fatness

fatness to AB57

to AB57
said by AB57:

No, it just means they'd rather have him behind center for now than watch him walk away and then be in a position where they're looking to trade for Rex Grossman.

Not that any team in the NFL would care except the Redskins, but Grossman is a free agent.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

rockotman to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
said by fatness:

The Jets just threw money in a hole. "He's not good but we couldn't get anyone better, so let's give him more money" doesn't seem like a wise strategy to me.

Hasn't that been Snyder's policy on QBs for the past several regimes?

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium Member
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY

Rook008 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
I think they screwed up giving Sanchez such a big extension, with that much guaranteed. Now he knows he's the number 1 QB for the next few years. Hopefully he'll bounce back from a disappointing performance last year and have a great season.
I think the money would have been better spent on the Defense or the O-Line or the Receiving Corps or the Running Backs.

AB57
Premium Member
equatorial

AB57 to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
said by fatness:

Not that any team in the NFL would care except the Redskins, but Grossman is a free agent.

Good. That's a very good thing for him to be.
But like you said, not too many teams are going to care, so I'd expect the Skinnies will likely resign him as their backup.
Beck is probably history, although Shanahan does seem to be a '3 QB' kinda guy.

I don't know anything about Griffin (or Luck), but I sure hope he turns out to be closer to Peyton Manning than to Heath Shuler.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2 to Rook008

Premium Member

to Rook008
I agree with you 100%