uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheHarvester
Premium
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA
kudos:3

[CATV] Flickering channels.

We have been dealing with this for years and it is getting to the final straw. The channels we watch most will constantly go blank for a split second and then come back all pixelated and then clear up. other channels just the audio will go blank for a second then come back. Anybody have any ideas that may get this fixed...once and for all.

We have had techs out with every excuse in the book. One replaced all the connectors. One just ran a "T" off our internet cable. One blamed the police station next door claiming their radio is causing it. One even said "as soon as the over the air digital transition is complete, it will clear up". One recommended updating the box to the latest one. We have unplugged the box, used the phone service to reset the box and had tech support do resets. It will clear up at times but always seems to return.

Any ideas anyone?
--
mbsastronomy.com

DDR329

@cox.net
Personally I would request a field supervisor to come out with a tech to check everything out for you.

It is possible noise is getting into the line and causing the video issues you are experiencing but the only way to help isolate is to find out if it is something house side for you or possibly on the pole side before it gets to you.

When I was having problems, found to be pole side, that were hard to track down I was asked to notate the channels, times of day, how long it happened and if on multiple tv's. Oh, I was also asked to verify each/if any of the major appliances were running during the same time of the issue.

I know this can seem like a bit of work but for the issues I had experienced giving this information to the technicians really helped to isolate what was causing the problem.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to TheHarvester
Sound dropouts are extremely annoying and usually signal related.
how are your signal levels?

TheHarvester
Premium
Dana Point, CA
reply to DDR329
said by DDR329 :

When I was having problems, found to be pole side, that were hard to track down I was asked to notate the channels, times of day, how long it happened and if on multiple tv's. Oh, I was also asked to verify each/if any of the major appliances were running during the same time of the issue.

Well I can say it happens every couple minutes all day long and it can go on for weeks. It will clear up for a while then it comes back. The day I posted the request (Sunday) the only things running were the normal stuff that run 24/7, No washer, dryer, microwave, telephones, dishwasher...nothing. I will look into a supervisor.
Thanks.

said by dvd536:

Sound dropouts are extremely annoying and usually signal related.
how are your signal levels?

It pisses me off to no end and I feel like shooting the TV...even though I know it's not the TVs fault.
Don't know how to check the levels and I would assume one of the techs (if you can even call them that now a days) would have checked that. When the wife called phone support, he (the tech not the wife) said the signal "looks noisy", did the obligatory box re-set and said see if it goes away...well it didn't and still doing it tonight.
--
mbsastronomy.com

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
if your cable box is a cisco[scientific atlanta] tune to channel 1999.

TheHarvester
Premium
Dana Point, CA
Motorola but I will look at that channel anyways.
Nope, no go.
--
mbsastronomy.com

DDR329

@cox.net
The diagnostic screen for the box is attainable by hitting the Power button on your remote and Select twice - it may take a few seconds to come up.

While you are on a channel that is giving you problems check the in band option and you should see two tuners for the DVR. SNR should be no less than 32 (if it dips to 30 it is still ok but may need to be better) and you can see some correctable errors but should not see any uncorrectables.

Now if you can still hear the station audio cutting out and SNR is above 32 and you aren't seeing any errors then the issue is coming to you that way. Hope this helps.

TheHarvester
Premium
Dana Point, CA
Thanks DDR329
You mentiond DVR but we do not have a DVR it is just the standard digital box and the only TV with a digital box, the other TV is straight from the cable with no box at all.
There are a few "in band" options but only one shows any SNR .
In band status:
SNR 31dB Good
short term error count = was 44 now at 83 well now jumping around.
long term error count = 65535
Yet under OOB Diagnostics
DATA * SNR 23dB good
Most of the stuff may as well be displayed in Chinese as it is foreign to me.
--
mbsastronomy.com

dlarkin_dc

join:2009-08-24
Alexandria, VA
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Cox HSI
reply to TheHarvester
I put up with that same issue, among others, with DTV from CC for a year. Check my review of Cox HSI and it might give you a glimpse into your future if you pursue PQ issues with tech support.

But I hope you get it wrapped up in short order and a perfect picture.