how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

btbluesky

join:2011-03-29
Sierra Madre, CA

SB6141?!??!

My current SB6120 started hanging nowaday, every other day I have to power cycle it. (unrelated, but firmware is SB612X-1.0.3.5-SCM00-NOSH)

Anyway, I'm thinking to getting another model, looked up time warner's page ( »www.timewarnercable.com/SoCal/su···ces.html ), the only DOCSIS they support currently is SBG6580 and SB6141.

I search everywhere, seems like the SB6141 is not even in circulation at all. the SBG6580 I do not need all those extra stuff.

Do anyone knows where I can get a SB6141?? Or when we can get one ourselves?

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:9

1 recommendation

You won't find the SB6141 for retail purchase it is ISP lease only at this time.

btbluesky

join:2011-03-29
Sierra Madre, CA

man...seriously they really need to find other sneaky way to make money. probably leasing them for $10 a month or something.
I'll just sit n wait I guess.

Anyone know when would they release the 6141 for consumer? the 6580 got some pretty bad review on amazon actually.

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

If they support the SB6141, I am surprised that they don't also support the SB6180 (which is basically the SBG6580 without the router section). Unfortunately, the SB6180 is also very hard to locate in retail right now.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY
reply to btbluesky

You should see if your ISP can upgrade your firmware. The firmware you're running is old which could be causing some of your problems.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley
reply to btbluesky

Answering when a modem will be released for retail would be inside info.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Johkal

said by Johkal:

You won't find the SB6141 for retail purchase it is ISP lease only at this time.

It appears this is the only DOCSIS 3 modem-only (no wifi, no router) unit listed on Time Warner Cable's Approved Customer Device List.

It's listed for sale on Amazon and eBay now.

Is there an equivalent (modem-only, DOCSIS 3.0, IPv4 & 6) that is not listed by TW for some reason?

»www.timewarnercable.com/texas/su···ice+List
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

Thanks for the Amazon update. Ref: »www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6141-O···1&sr=8-1

I wouldn't trust Ebay on any modem. Just my opinion.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by Johkal:

Thanks for the Amazon update. Ref: »www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6141-O···1&sr=8-1

I wouldn't trust Ebay on any modem. Just my opinion.

Thinking of buying this modem. What is your thoughts on this unit, oh mighty moto god? I do not need wireless or a built in router so it seems like this may be Motorolas only DOCSIS 3 modem only unit out now? Seen any negatives about it?
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

The SB6141 is too new to find enough feedback on. I've tried to research it with little hits. I'm hoping it follows suit with the success of the SB6121. Whereas the SB6120 & SB6121 appear similar, the 6120 uses the Ti chipset & the 6121 use the Broadcom. Very reminiscent of how many issues the SB5120 using a TI chipset had compared to the SB5100 & SB5101 which were solid performers using a Broadcom chipset.
--
In God we trust; all others bring data!

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

1 recommendation

said by Johkal:

The SB6141 is too new to find enough feedback on. I've tried to research it with little hits. I'm hoping it follows suit with the success of the SB6121. Whereas the SB6120 & SB6121 appear similar, the 6120 uses the Ti chipset & the 6121 use the Broadcom. Very reminiscent of how many issues the SB5120 using a TI chipset had compared to the SB5100 & SB5101 which were solid performers using a Broadcom chipset.

I ordered one, will see what i can do with it. Short of opening it up is there a way I can tell and let you know what chipset it uses?
--

just1techy

@rr.com

just ordered one myself, after seeing its an approved model for RoadRunner here in Texas. i'll do my best to come back here and report back any speed changes compared to the SB5120 i'm currently using (currently fluctuating between 4 to 14Mbps w/the "turbo" $9.99 added pkg)

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

1 recommendation

said by just1techy :

just ordered one myself, after seeing its an approved model for RoadRunner here in Texas. i'll do my best to come back here and report back any speed changes compared to the SB5120 i'm currently using (currently fluctuating between 4 to 14Mbps w/the "turbo" $9.99 added pkg)

Not sure you will see much difference unless you have channel bonding active in your area.
--

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to btbluesky

Got modem today and all activated. Channel bonding is active but no D3 tiers available yet despite email offering otherwise.

Anyways, for those who like numbers and software:

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.3-SCM03-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.
Hardware Version: 7.0
Serial Number: 348781134704096502010001
Firmware Build Time: Aug 18 2011 10:27:53

I am ASSUMING these have TI chipsets, simply because of the TI related open source software found throughout the unit and listed on the open source page. Sorry about the formatting below.

Open Source Stuff:

GPLv2 Busybox 1.4.2, Kernel 2.6.18, Bridge Utils 1.0.4, Ruli 1.19, Syslogkd 1.4, Udhcp 0.9.7, Utelnetd 0.1.2, Uboot 1.2.0, Squashfs 4.57.0, Udev 0.055, Kconfig 1.4, Envutils, Iostat2.2, Exmap 0.9, Mkimage

LGPLv2.1 7zip, Liboop 1.0, uClibc 0.9.27, Sme
Flex BSD Flex 2.5.4

OpenSSL OpenSSL 0.9.8, TI Kerebos 1.1.2

Matt Johnson MIT, TDCAL, Tatu Ylonen, PuTTY MIT, OpenSSH BSD Dropbear 0.50, Libtomcrypt 1.0, Libtommath 1.0

Wide Project BSD, Emanual Dreyfus BSD, Univerisity of California BSD Ipsec Tools 0.6.6

Abraham vd Merwe BSD, Texas Instruments BSD Libber 0.4.2
Texas Instruments BSD TI NetDK Libs 1.2.0, TI Docsis 1.2.0

Wide BSD, ISC MIT, Texas Instruments BSD, Todd Miller BSD TI DHCPv6 1.3

Portions under Jef Poskanzer MIT TI Webserver 1.2.0

Univerisity of California BSD, Texas Instruments BSD TFTP 0.17
Gray Watson MIT, MIT MIT, Textil Computer Design MIT, USC/ISI MIT DMalloc 5.5.2

Portions under University of California BSD TI Icc 1.1.2
--

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

Awesome info! Thanks bud!

dcdavid

join:2012-05-11
reply to swintec

Thinking of getting one. How's it working out for you?

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by dcdavid:

Thinking of getting one. How's it working out for you?

Going great. Appears to be out of stock on Amazon though. May have to wait until it comes back in stock.
--

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

I just ordered the 6121 specifically because plenty of people around the net as of May 2012 were warning that Comcast did not have official support for the 6141 yet, as of today May 23rd, it is still not on their list of supported devices. The claim only is that as a result you end up with activation hassles and have to jump through hoops to get it activated.

The 6121 was actually more expensive than 6141 on Amazon by a few bucks. Since I'm planning no more than the ~20Mb/s tier I don't think I will notice the lack of the 8-channel bonding.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

That's a shame that you ordered the SB6121. The Zoom 5341J would have been a much better choice than the SB6121 since it is comparable to the SB6141 being an 8 x 4 modem.

jamvaru

join:2012-05-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to btbluesky

I got one hooked up last week. It occasionally required a reset, seemed to reset automatically a couple of times, had to pull plug a couple of times and last 2 days it has quit entirely, though the lights indicate it is trying to connect; then, after getting online with rr at some point it starts working, i think when they pull it up on their end.

So, they are sending out a tech to look at it and possibly upgrade the firmware i suppose, so pretty good so far. It has quit only twice, but once a day is too much. Funny, yesterday they said they put it on device watch, then today they said the device watch had already expired, lol. I'm guessing they will do an upgrade, idk.

any clues on this? I have no idea how to look at it for details, much less on how to upgrade it. thanks

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by jamvaru:

I got one hooked up last week. It occasionally required a reset, seemed to reset automatically a couple of times, had to pull plug a couple of times and last 2 days it has quit entirely, though the lights indicate it is trying to connect; then, after getting online with rr at some point it starts working, i think when they pull it up on their end.

So, they are sending out a tech to look at it and possibly upgrade the firmware i suppose, so pretty good so far. It has quit only twice, but once a day is too much. Funny, yesterday they said they put it on device watch, then today they said the device watch had already expired, lol. I'm guessing they will do an upgrade, idk.

any clues on this? I have no idea how to look at it for details, much less on how to upgrade it. thanks

Sounds like you have some sort of signal issue. I am pretty sure there is no upgraded firmware pushed by time warner though as mine has been in service over a month. Post up the results from here: »192.168.100.1
--

eelpout

join:2005-12-23
Los Gatos, CA

1 edit

Just received mine today. Coming from an SB5101. The 6141 failed at doing the "walled garden" activation so had to do it via support chat.

Working fine so far... except, the status page is in error and says the following:

DOCSIS Downstream Channel Acquisition Not started
DOCSIS Ranging Not started
Establish IP Connectivity using DHCP Not started
Establish Time Of Day Not started
Transfer Operational Parameters through TFTP Not started
Register Connection Not started
Cable Modem Status Offline
Initialize Baseline Privacy Done

it certainly is online, I'm using it.

the signal page works fine and shows values for each channel (noticed that channel 8 upstream is timing out, maybe this is why the status page is wrong).

maybe a firmware update will fix it. curious to know if anyone else is seeing the same thing.

Edit: From looking at posts about the SB6121, it appears one needs all upstream channels to successfully bond for the status page to be accurate. And further for all the channels to connect, anecdotally one needs closer to 46db or less for the upstream. Two of my channels are at 49db so I'll have to work on getting that down.