Search similar:

uniqs
Expand your moderator at work

Rockafella21
join:2010-04-08
New Castle, PA

Rockafella21 to Smith6612

to Smith6612

Re: Problem with inconsistant download speed.

Nope everything is configured as it was before. I can't figure it out. I even uninstalled Pingplotter and WinPcap. WinPcap is the program that allows you to ping using TCP packets instead of the default Windows ICMP. This resolves servers not responding to ICMP pings. Therefore, latency should be nice and low since it is setup for TCP/HTTP packets over port 80. ICMP is set to lowest priority on some routers. However, TCP/HTTP packets over port 80 should be very high priority. When a strategy is used to deal with congestion DNS and HTTP are the highest in priority. I can also set it up to pass traffic over the DNS or FTP port. Latency should not get as high as it has using TCP/HTTP packets unless their is really a congestion issue present.
Rockafella21

Rockafella21 to dslx_nick

to dslx_nick
Click for full size
Line monitor to NJ. I am in Pa.
I was able to capture the problem while it was happening with multiple line quality test from here on Dslreports. Look at the line the line tests »/testh ··· 27/32aaa dated 6-3-2012 between 8:10Pm and 8:25Pm there are 3 of them. You will see during this time my ping was double 100ms+ to the east coast where I live! You will also see that the Verizon hops have packet loss. It is not anything on my end! I have also ran two line test later, and you can see what the ping normally is. Which is around 40ms. I also managed to catch this in action on a line monitor that I have running. It shows my latency to the east coast which is also over 100ms. Nick you send me a message saying Verizon is running a line monitor over night. Well you tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine if they say they didn't find anything wrong.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

Looks like there's something really wrong with the backbone in Pittsburgh. The quality of the line is certainly bombing down before it even gets near the usual points of congestion on Verizon's DSL network. The fact that it's that deep in the network means you're going to have some fun explaining the problem to them (as you've already had). Take a stop down at the Verizon DSL forum. There's a few Verizon Employees that lurk around there who can press this issue for you if you cannot get the phone reps (or even the Live chat Reps) to understand that the problem is pretty far upstream from you. Either the backbone in Pittsburgh is saturated or they have a router dying under the load. Let's not rule out the possibility of a faulty link being present somewhere.

Rockafella21
New Castle, PA

Rockafella21

Thanks for your reply Smith. From this test I ran Verizon also has a router configured incorrectly. It is not reporting the proper MTU. »n2.netalyzr.icsi.berkele ··· d6a-820a Guaranteed this is why I am seeing packet loss starting on the Verizon hops.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 edit

Smith6612

MVM

I can assure you the MTU not being reported correctly isn't what is causing the problem. The same thing happens on my line and this is due to the fact that PPPoE restricts your MTU to 1492. You wind up in this case with Fragmented data packets which reduces efficiency but does not exactly affect the overall performance of the network. Routers usually have two options to sort out Fragmentation issues. They either send back an ICMP packet indicating the packet was too big for a particular hop to handle, which causes the router to drop the datagram OR the router able to handle the MTU transmits the fragmented data as a smaller datagram.

This message you're seeing is the reason why I still run my Frontier DSL line with PPPoA. No "Packet too big" messages as MTU is 1500 since ATM can do 1540.

Rockafella21
New Castle, PA

Rockafella21

I tried to set the line up for PPPoA it will not connect using that protocol. How bout this one. They moved me right back to the same router that I originally reported the trouble ticked on for slow speeds. If you look at my first pingplotter screenshot in the first post you will see it is 10.6.29.1. That is the same router that I am on now. Ridicules. I waited all day just to be moved back to the problematic router. I thought the plan was to get moved to a different DSLAM. That what I was told was in the process of happening while I was waiting for my connection to come back up.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

The question now is, does Verizon have anything other than Juniper available in your Central Office? The Redbacks aren't supposed to have lines running at 10-15Mbps on them, and I think the same deal may also be with 7.1Mbps lines too. You're pretty much stuck with whatever Junipers they have if they keep moving you between routers.

Rockafella21
New Castle, PA

Rockafella21

They have me on a redback. That is for sure. We just discussed that. It would not let me connect until they moved me to a redback for some odd reason.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 edit

Smith6612

MVM

Hmm, ok. Often times if you are moved to Juniper or Redback, the PPPoE session or even the entire VC Profile need to be reloaded from scratch. When Verizon bumped my line to a Juniper before I yelled at them to move it back, my line was down for a few hours until I forcefully reconnected the PPPoE session. The move from Juniper to Redback was nearly seamless though

I'm looking through your Line test history again. I went through every test result you have. You basically got moved from a Juniper to a Juniper. I can't see how you'd be on a Redback if the router name is ERX unless the RDNS is wrong. Verizon's Redbacks aren't named like that, instead showing up as DSL-RTR#.verizon-gni.net

I'm on Redback and here's what the edge router (the hop before my IP) appears as. I cannot be on Juniper or else my line's QoS goes into the toilet (hence why I yelled at them).

P3-0-0.BUFF-DSL-RTR2.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.74) 89.626 ms 89.371 ms 89.468 ms

Rockafella21
New Castle, PA

Rockafella21

Yes this is the problem with my line. I cannot setup QoS because the speeds fluctuate like crazy. Now that I think about it I know I'm not on a Redback too. I was lied to. Because when they tried to put me on the Reback a last year there was a problem. They couldn't get it properly configured. I had to wait for someone that knew how to do it. Verizon called me directly a few days later and told me they moved me to a new facility and I was on a redback. Therefore, Nick had smoke blew up his but by Verizon. NICK TELL THEM TO GET ME BACK ON THE REDBACK!!! TELL THEM THEY HAVE BEEN BUSTED!!!! They can either move me to a Redback for real or pull the plug. Then, I will just get my connection through Verizon and bitch at them everyday and go to the corporate office if they refuse to put me on one. I think they have they have the redback in a different part of the C/O. Last year when they moved my connection to what was "REALLY" a Redback my connection worked flawlessly. Then some how I got moved off it. I was contacted "Directly" by Verizon and they told me they where moving my connection to a new facility and it would take a few days. Therefore, I know I'm not on a Redback. You are right Smith.
Rockafella21

1 edit

to Smith6612
Also you can tell when you are on a Redback because the speed test doesn't bounce all around either. Like go up and then slow back down. I'm firmly waiting to be switched to a Redback. I don't want anything else but a Redback. If I can't be provided a Redback I will be going else where. Simple as that. That is the whole reason I keep having slow speeds. It's not due to my distance or anything like that. If that was the case I wouldn't get speeds of 6.8mbps/.73mbps for over 6 months when I was moved to a Redback by Tim_k last year. That was the same thing Tim told me when I passed the problem to him last year. He said that the connection I was on wasn't suppose to be setup for a 7mb connection. There's the problem and I want it fixed immediately.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

You aren't by any chance on a really old remote or a Litespan, are you? Litespans throw up when you put Juniper on them.

Ask tim to chuck you back onto a Redback. He's the one who I asked to do it and he did it within a few hours when I got bumped to Juniper a few weeks ago.

Rockafella21
New Castle, PA

Rockafella21

I'm not sure about that part. Whatever it is a Redback is what fixes it. As you have pointed out I'm not on one. I remember last year I posted my problem in the Verizon forum after speaking to you, and you pointed out I was on a Juniper. You said to get switched to a Redback and so did others. I even went to Jude_L via private message in the Verizon Direct forum. He said I was on a Juniper and then a Redback. Even Tim pointed it out about the Redback. I think what they are doing is they don't want to really sell me a 7mb connection even though it is documented on my account by the corporate office after speaking to numerous techs at the MCO. They all confirmed 7.1mb no problem. The guy that I spoke to from corporate Shawn Steele even told me to wait for 3 days until the supervisor came back to get his word so it would be golden. Now it seams they are throwing me on the Juniper to cause issues probably because Verizon wants my connection to themselves. They are greedy like that. Sad part is DSL Extreme doesn't do anything to protect or try to keep their customers.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

One thing that is also worth pointing out is Verizon is also looking to decommission the Redbacks from what I hear as well, which is why they keep kicking you to other Junipers. Some COs that used to have tons of them no longer have any around. They all got scrapped for higher capacity Junipers, and however they are set up with the rest of the network just kills any hope of QoS.

Rockafella21
New Castle, PA

Rockafella21

Last I know my C/O has them. They even have a DSLAM that someone donated to them lmfao. I'm serious as a heart attack. They don't throw away nothing here. A guy I know that works at the C/O here told me. I don't have his number anymore or I would get a hold of him. Anyways I sent Tim a PM. See what he says.
Rockafella21

to Smith6612
Look at my line monitor! You can see the problem clear as freaking day now. »/monit ··· e=151200 If I am reading this correctly blue line means packet loss and its at 40%!!!!

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

I can't see your line monitor. Give me the link to the daily statistics or provide some screenshots.

Rockafella21
New Castle, PA

Rockafella21

NJ

CA
Yeah it says 40%. I don't know why the link wouldn't work. I went to the line monitor and hourly. I clicked hourly because it has only been running a short period. Like an hour or so.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

There's 40% loss to the Kansas City server, but I'm not seeing any on the West Coast. It has to populate for a while longer to be of use to be honest.

Rockafella21
New Castle, PA

Rockafella21

Its doing it to both servers now. See if you can see the tests via this link »/testh ··· 27/32aaa.
Rockafella21

1 edit

to Smith6612
The dang test got disconnected it looks like. I just got a invite from Sashwa to join the DSL Extreme line monitoring group. I'm going to set it up again. I don't know why I am clicking reply every time to Smith's posts but they all ain't saying I'm replying to him. Makes it hard for others to fallow when things get rolling. Is there some way to edit them?

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
446.4 4.0

1 edit

1 recommendation

sashwa

Mod

First off: »/testh ··· ?view=13 here is the page for Mr. Smith to see your monitor. It's the link to the DSLX Line Monitoring Group in our sidebar.

Second: Check and make sure you are using your current public IP address. If your IP has changed, you will need to update it.

Third, the reply to only shows if the post you are replying to is not directly above you.

Rockafella21
New Castle, PA

Rockafella21

Got ya thank you very much sashwa. You are the greatest!

For Smith and the rest. You can see from this tracert from last your in May I was on a Redback hence the RTR2 as you have mentioned in and earlier post that resolved my peak hour congestion.

Tracing route to dslreports.com [209.123.109.175]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 10.6.3.1
3 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms ge-0-3-0-0.PITT2-CORE-RTR2.verizon-gni.net [130.
81.8.193]
4 10 ms 9 ms 14 ms so-7-0-0-0.PITT2-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net [130.
81.18.254]
5 14 ms 14 ms 15 ms as2-0.LCC1-RES-BB-RTR1-RE1.verizon-gni.net [130.

»Problem with speeds at peak hours.

The full tracert can be seen at the fallowing link »Problem with speeds at peak hours..
Rockafella21

Rockafella21 to dslx_nick

to dslx_nick
I now see that I am finally on a Redback. I'm not sure who moved me there. I don't know if it was DSLX or Tim. However, please leave me on this router!!!!

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Yeah, took a bit of wrestling with VZ, as they are indeed trying to phase out their Redbacks; that CO still has some in place, though. The acid test now is to see how it holds up tonight.

Rockafella21
New Castle, PA

Rockafella21

Yep I am hoping everything works out good. I have noticed the router is dropping about 5% of packets. I got a line monitor running right now. There are links to it here in this thread, and also the other tests I have running. You will be able to keep an eye on the situation yourself. I have just updated the line monitor so it will take a little while to produce results. Here is the evidence of the packet loss I am talking about. This is with a light load of just 400kb on the line.

Ping statistics for 10.6.3.1:
Packets: Sent = 58, Received = 55, Lost = 3 (5% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 75ms, Average = 30ms

I am pigging the router again with no load, and I am not seeing any packet loss yet. Maybe it is not an issue. I will just keep and eye on the line monitor and see what happens. Thanks for your hard work Nick. I appreciate.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Hey, we're here to help. =)

Rockafella21
New Castle, PA

Rockafella21

I appreciate it greatly believe me. I just want to get this sucker working correctly just like anyone else. I think this will do this trick. It worked the last time so it's got to work this time just as long as Verizon properly configured the line. I have my router connected so I can't see the line stats anymore. Can you check to make sure it is still set to 7840/864 sync, and that my margins I assume are still around 10db or better? I just don't want that to end up being a factor that causes problems. I also don't want to disconnect the router, and check because I will loose my line monitor. I don't want to miss anything. That would be my luck. Also, Nick is there a way to set the line up to use PPPoA instead of PPPoE? I have done it with other ISP's, but I have noticed last night it would not work. Is there a setting that would need changed on the actual connection first to support that? Could you look into it to see what you can find out?