spc
uniqs
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to jfmezei

to jfmezei

Re: [Serious] VIA Train Derailment at Burlington

said by jfmezei:

Anyone know what type of equipment was used in the crash ?
LRC or the Renaissance equipment ?

As a result of the MTS-Acanac appeal to federal court for UBB in 2009, I got a brick from Bell which contained a whole brick of various causes, one of which was about the VIA renaissance equipment. These coaches were not built to north american crash standards.

However, I think LRCs are more commonly used south of Toronto.

yes, thats why they have a spacer car on the renaissance trains behind the loco and they used to hang a dome car on the rear of the chaleur.
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

The baggage car exists as a converter for the north american coupling at the locomotive and the british couplings on the renaissance cars as well as converting the "hotel" power generated by the locomotive to the voltage used by those cars.

What the TSB had found is that the renaissance cars had insufficient crumpling zones, so VIA was forced to convert seats and a toilet to luggage storage at one end of the car because if someone was in that zone during and accident they would be crushed.

(There were a whole bunch other problems)

LRCs had their teething problems during the first 6-7 years of the 1980s after which they started to become more reliable.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by jfmezei:

What the TSB had found is that the renaissance cars had insufficient crumpling zones, so VIA was forced to convert seats and a toilet to luggage storage at one end of the car because if someone was in that zone during and accident they would be crushed.

Very comforting. I'm sitting directly next to the luggage storage area on my car. :P
jfmezei
Premium Member
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

Click for full size
King street crossing
My friend Mr Google tells me it is a level crossing of 4 tracks at King street. Ouch. And this would have been just before the train derailed.
telco_mtl

telco_mtl to jfmezei

to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

The baggage car exists as a converter for the north american coupling at the locomotive and the british couplings on the renaissance cars as well as converting the "hotel" power generated by the locomotive to the voltage used by those cars.

(There were a whole bunch other problems)

LRCs had their teething problems during the first 6-7 years of the 1980s after which they started to become more reliable.

they problems included:
wool upolstery (allergies)
frozen folding steps(interesting procedure in winter, unload on the high platforms at central station montreal, then thaw the whole train in the psc shops
jfmezei
Premium Member
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei to corster

Premium Member

to corster
said by corster:

Very comforting. I'm sitting directly next to the luggage storage area on my car. :P

That was for the Renaissance cars only. LRC cards were built to north american standards, and at one end, you have the vestibule and galley before first seats, and in the back, you have vestibule and toilets before first seats.
telco_mtl

telco_mtl

said by jfmezei:

said by corster:

That was for the Renaissance cars only. LRC cards were built to north american standards, and at one end, you have the vestibule and galley before first seats, and in the back, you have vestibule and toilets before first seats.

few people realize amtrak had 2 LRC locos and a few coaches (which ended up with VIA) the locos that were owned by amtrak still sit at CAD in ville st pierre quebec
jfmezei
Premium Member
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

Amtrak had very early and very faulty LRCs with modificatiosn from the bombardier designs in the locos required by amtrak but which ruined the locos' reliability. They didn't last long in service with Amtrak.

BTW, looking at street view, there is switch just north-east of Kind street crossing between the 2 main tracks in the middle. The 2 tracks on the side seem to be sidings because the crossing at King was not upgraded to rubber carpet between tracks.

But the train appears to be totally off those 4 tracks so if it was travelling on the middle 2 tracks, it means that it really jumped the tracks.