Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

[Leo] Speech Recognition/Voice Commands

Trying to use the Speech Recognition/Voice Commands in OS X Lion on my MacBook Pro and it's not really working out as fluidly as I hoped it would have.

It doesn't really recognize a lot of what I say, and doesn't respond. I've tried calibrating it, but the commands didn't' blink. I set it to passive listening mode so it's always on and activates upon a keyword ("Computer"). Anybody else using this? All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

51 views and not one response???!

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1
reply to Alpha Phoenix

said by Alpha Phoenix:

... Anybody else using this?...

Nope (didn't know it existed)

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to Alpha Phoenix

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, that has been around for a really long time (I think since the developer previews of OS X 10.0 in some form or another).

I don't think it's been touched much and is definitely not a largely advertised feature of OS X - just something that's there for people to play with or help people that cannot use a keyboard/mouse well.

I'd hold off on using it until they replace it with Siri.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Rampcheck

join:2011-12-27
Austin, TX
reply to Alpha Phoenix

It's part of speakable items, its been around since system 7 (early '90s). It's been improved but is no on par with Siri.

It works best in a quiet room, set to respond with a hot key, passive listening is problematic. It also has a very limited vocabulary, Again not on par with Siri.

But give it time, it is not a dead feature and is updated regularly.