All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

idolclub
join:2003-12-24

idolclub

USG 3.0 User Guide

Add a lot of video sample but can't find the full USG 3.0 Feature Specifications Summary Table (v2.20 vs v3.00) like this in v2.20 User Guide (v2.12 vs v2.20).

»ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/ZYWALL_US ··· _Ed1.pdf
ZyXEL30
join:2012-02-27

ZyXEL30

You can find new ZyXEL firmware ZLD 3.0 at this link: »www.zyxel.hu/download/zld3/
for usermanual you have to wate few days
Kirby Smith
join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH

Kirby Smith to idolclub

to idolclub
Why is this document locked by a password?

kirby

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Wow, I want that technology. A document that self identifies Kirby and goes into lockdown mode. It opened fine for me. ;-P
Kirby Smith
Derry, NH

Kirby Smith

Interesting. At work (using IE 7 under Win XP), Acrobat claims it can't decode the document. At home (using Firefox 10 under Ubuntu) a password request window appeared.

It probably didn't identify me, it just got out of the way of the llama flamefront.

k

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

At my work no zyxel pdfs work.......... Must be the firewall detects the subliminal buy zyxel messages

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

It worked for me using Firefox.
Kirby Smith
Derry, NH

Kirby Smith

Please see image. This is with Ubuntu document viewer. A different but equivalent window appears when trying to open the document with xpdf. "admin" doesn't work.

kirby

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to idolclub

Premium Member

to idolclub
Otay pinky, next we put the Kirby code in all software and THEN we conquer the world!!
Kirby Smith
Derry, NH

Kirby Smith

Opening with Gimp also fails. I suspect that the US web site, where I downloaded the document from, is not the same site as others have succeeded with, or else I have a strange set of pdf readers, or Anav, it wasn't the USG 50 user guide that you downloaded.

kirby

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to idolclub

Premium Member

to idolclub
Kirby.... aka user of Luddite browsers.
The message is clear. Time to go home, to the Tennessee back hills and forget technology, be one with nature and a banjo.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

1 recommendation

Brano to idolclub

MVM

to idolclub
On openSUSE 12.1

- acrobat - opens the doc
- okular - asks for password
- gimp - says it's encrypted, doesn't ask for pasword

Looks line linux folks have to update their pdf handling libraries.

bigboy
join:2000-12-04
Palo Alto, CA

bigboy to idolclub

to idolclub
I was able to open it using Preview on a Mac (10.7 Lion). The videos don't work, of course.
Kirby Smith
Derry, NH

Kirby Smith to Anav

to Anav
Anav: One would think that you would recommend downtown Memphis to be one with the blues and a guitar.

Acrobat 8.2 also complains within IE7 on a computer I don't control. I'll have to see about Adobe Reader X if I can find a way to download the file outside of the browser. But it won't do me any good unless I can get something running under Ubuntu to allow me to reference it without having to print it.

k

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
Burlington, ON

1 recommendation

Brano

MVM

Isn't there Adobe Acrobat reader available for Ubuntu? Should be.
Kirby Smith
Derry, NH

1 recommendation

Kirby Smith

Apparently there is, according to my preliminary web research last night, either from Adobe or via the Medibuntu repository. It will be another day before I can get to experimenting with it.

kirby

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

My above screenshots are from openSUSE linux. It runs "acroread-9.4.7-3.7.1.i586" and I could open the file just fine.
Kirby Smith
Derry, NH

1 recommendation

Kirby Smith

Brano:

I found Acroread 9.4.7 available for installation for Lucid in the Ubuntu Software Center app, installed it, and the ZyXEL USG 50 document opens with no complaints. As your images above imply, Adobe's recent ability to restrict Acrobat from changing a pdf document requires encryption, and the freeware pdf readers evidently do not include decryption.

kirby
Kirby Smith

1 recommendation

Kirby Smith

The 3.0 User's Guide is a "measly" 160 pages, compared with the near 1000 of the 2.2 Guide. But you get some videos, making the byte count 2.5 times larger. And it appears to be completely rewritten. Plus, it includes IPv6 instructions.

At this point I can't determine what essential information one might have to look up in the 2.2 Guide, so I'm not going to be in a hurry to send it to the Great Bit Bucket in the Sky.

kirby

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

The embedded videos are not playing on my system though (looks like the handler is not properly registered and it want's do download some player from adobe site).
...I'll have to tinker with this but it's low priority for me.
Kirby Smith
Derry, NH

Kirby Smith

I have to admit not trying the videos. And now that I've tried one, I find it wants to download a player for x-shockwave-flash. Catch 22: Adobe claims it doesn't have a Unix version (or something to that effect) so the site doesn't download anything.

This is strange, because Firefox under Ubuntu includes an x-shockwave-flash as part of Adobe Flash Player. But opening the User's Guide in Firefox just pulls in Acroread which tries the same unsuccessful download.

I guess I'll have to research this further. My guess is that this User's Guide was not proofed under Linux.

kirby

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

You will find the speech in-ter-est-ing particularly when discussing in er feeces.
Kirby Smith
Derry, NH

Kirby Smith

... which raises the question of whether the following was worth the search.

How to get the videos to play is unclear. All the Flash questions I came upon on the web were related to Mozilla/Firefox and not Acrobat Reader. The plugin for Firefox flash is [I think] in usr/lib/firefox-10.0.2/plugins as libflashplayer.so, which is actually a link to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so. This latter directory also includes libflashplayer.so. Also in usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin is a copy of libflashplayer.so.

There are similar file types in Reader at opt/Adobe/Reader9/Reader/Intellinux/lib. If I screw up my courage, I might try putting a copy of libflashplayer.so there to see what happens.

kirby
Kirby Smith

Kirby Smith

No luck

Adding libflashplayer.so into Reader9's library did not seem to break anything, but it also didn't help the problem.

kirby
Kirby Smith

Kirby Smith

The User's Guide appears to have been built in Framemaker, which I assume was used to embed the videos. Although the Guide directs the user to view the video using Reader 9, and my Reader 9 has the multimedia app included, Reader complains and sends me off to Adobe.com. However, it sends me to a page for Acrobat/Reader 6 that informs me it won't download whatever it is that Reader 9 was looking for (seemingly some version of mime=application/x-shockwave-flash) that may not exist for use in Linux, or may not exist at the pointed-to URL.

I recommend that XyZEL put up the videos on their site for viewing and/or downloading in a form that Linux browsers can render, or put them on YouTube. Firefox 10 certainly has no problem with rendering YouTube Flash, or even the more complex Flash used by Crunchyroll for streaming video.

Firefox can't, however, render the embedded videos because if I open the User's Guide in Firefox, it hands over the file to its embedded version of Reader 9, and video rendering is again stymied. Where is Capt. Yossarian when one needs him.

kirby

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

I love Windows 7 .... And I love IE9 ... That combo just screems and rock solid to boot. Linux, Unix, x this and x that .... Ugh.
Kirby Smith
Derry, NH

Kirby Smith

Heh! I suppose I could try my wife's incredibly slow Win7 laptop, once it finished taking significant chunks of an hour to update itself along with a few reboots that Linux rarely needs. But I will avoid addressing Microsoft integrity and the merits of Microsoft's OS, as I could never, even in unlimited space but finite time, do justice to the issues others have documented over the years.

But there is a kernel of an idea in here. Install Firefox on Win 7. Install download helper or use an equivalent on IE. Open the User's Guide pdf file in the browser. Play video. Capture video (if possible). Move video to Ubuntu PC from which I would normally do router configuration. Maybe there is merit to your assertion, mozerd, if all that work leads to being able to use the videos in situ.

This assumes that the videos are useful at supplementing the written information. I don't see how they could make up for cutting 970 pages of the ver.2 User's Guide down to 160 pages of the ver.3 User's Guide.

kirby

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

WOW, you certainly enjoy doing things the hard way ... I on the other hand like doing stuff the easy way and my Windows 7 laptop SCREEMS speeeeeed.

Perhaps you should hire a IT expert to optimizer your wife's Win 7 laptop cause it most certainly is driving her into the Mac camp

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm to Kirby Smith

Premium Member

to Kirby Smith

Re: USG 3.0 User Guide

said by Kirby Smith:

Apparently there is, according to my preliminary web research last night, either from Adobe or via the Medibuntu repository.

How does one get the Medibuntu repository added?

Thanks.
Kirby Smith
Derry, NH

Kirby Smith

See

»help.ubuntu.com/communit ··· edibuntu

There are even copy and paste commands to make it simple.

kirby