spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dslhelp

join:2012-02-21

How is Fiber Optics installed in an apartment?

How is fiber optics internet installed in an apartment? Do they have to drill holes through you wall? Or rip out your phone lines and replace them with FO?

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:2

It depends. Some of the most modern apartment buildings were built with extra empty conduit to allow extra services to be installed later. Others already have a fiber optic network and just require ONT(Optical Network Terminal) to be installed. Older buildings require add on installations and lots of wall fishing and conduit. That usually means wall drilling. Some installers get around some of the wall drilling by running the fiber inside hollow moldings at the floor-wall or ceiling-wall interface.

Do you have a specific ISP in mind?

dslhelp

join:2012-02-21

Hm interesting, well our buildings are 30 to 40 years old and look it lol.
But I remember one of my neighbors saying he had uverse and that's FO right? I didn't know what uverse was at the time as it was when it first came out.

dplantz

join:2000-08-02
Roslindale, MA

Uverse is fiber to the curb and coper to the premise. Unlike Verizon Fios which is fiber to the premise. You would be getting a special modem with uverse and no drilling needed.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:2
reply to dslhelp

Uverse is a faster version of of DSL. It still uses twisted pair telephone copper wires to go from the fiber node to you.

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to dslhelp

said by dslhelp:

Hm interesting, well our buildings are 30 to 40 years old and look it lol.
But I remember one of my neighbors saying he had uverse and that's FO right? I didn't know what uverse was at the time as it was when it first came out.

30 or 40 year old buildings probably won't have Fiber, and it sounds like you live in AT&T territory and you do have Copper. The plans for Facilities are taken care of by the owner of the Apartment Complex for every Apartment, and it depends on the ISP's needs and requirements. So unless you live in Kansas, I don't think any Fiber is coming your way.

greenfish
Premium
join:2006-01-19
Cedar Park, TX
reply to dslhelp

There is some uverse fiber but only in new neighborhoods and new apartment buildings. At least in central TX. In the case of apartments it is run before the sheet rock goes up and is terminatied just before the carpet goes in.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to dslhelp

My previous apartment was built in the 80's and had FIOS installed a few years ago. They ran the fiber from the attic down thru the wall to the master bedroom closets, where the ONT's were installed. Coax then ran back up to the attic then back down the walls. The buildings were 2-3 stories each.