Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gene32

join:2004-05-03
Reynoldsburg, OH
reply to WOW_Dan

Re: Ultra TV Bug Reports

WOW_Dan, would it be better if we just call in support tickets for these issues? Can you provide us with any sort of updates for the problems listed here?

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:36
You can call in your issues if you'd prefer. I'm collecting these to pass a long to engineers, but I won't be able to respond to each one of them. If I receive an update on any of these, I will make a post for it.

gene32

Reynoldsburg, OH
reply to WOW_Dan
WOW_Dan, I called in to log my issue and mentioned your name (sounded like they knew you well .... I gave them 3 different Wireshark captures of when the problem happened. I will also attach them to this post in case anyone else would care to comment.

Tylerd2137, maybe you could do the same since you're also experiencing streaming audio problem?

tomcatz4

join:2004-06-19
Troy, MI
reply to WOW_Dan
VOD fast forward pixilation HD only - Occurs on Starz. Was this always a problem that I am just now noticing?

Intermittent freeze up - seems to happen if scrolling through menu functions (related to lag of menu functions) as if many button presses are buffered until the media gateway is lost, the picture is black screen and needs a power reset of the gateway to fix. Powering reset the Player does not fix the problem.

MOG - streaming freezing - happens regularly, I have 30MBPS connection so not speed related, but again could have always been a problem but I notice now.

tomcatz4

join:2004-06-19
Troy, MI
Correction - VOD freeze up on FF is gone - possibly becassue I changed max resolution to 1080I?

Bismark

join:2010-02-21
Columbus, OH
reply to WOW_Dan

Re: Ultra TV Bug Reports - VPN

After spending four days trying to get Setup for VPN to my employer, I found that there are three options that have to be set to "on" in the router/firewall. They are:

• IPSec Pass Through
• PPTP Pass Through
• L2TP Pass Through

Twice I called WOW support about this and twice they said they went into the router to check if things were properly configured and apparently never thought to set these three items. Just Google the three and you can see various VPN protocols need some or all of them. Last, if all else fails, the user should just try with the firewall turned off to see if that is the issue.

Many people need VPN to work from home and this should be resolved quickly.

When I called about this last night, I was told WOW had a group working on VPN issues, today when I called to tell WOW what I found, I was told there is no such group in WOW.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
These are 3 options for 3 different types of VPNs.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to gene32

Re: Ultra TV Bug Reports

said by gene32:

Streaming audio problems with www.di.fm:

When streaming the 96K WinAmp or 40K Windows Media Player link from www.di.fm, I get frequent audio hiccups or the stream quits after a few minutes. Never had this problem when I was using my Motorola Surfboard cable modem and D-Link router. The day I switched to Ultra TV is when this problem started happening.

To replicate, follow these steps:

Connect PC 1 to the internet (hard wired) through the UTV gateway.

Connect PC 2 to the internet (hard wired) through a Motorola Surfboard cable modem.

Install WinAmp on both PCs and have them both click on this link: »listen.di.fm/public3/vocaltrance.pls

...and then see how long they go without hiccuping/stopping.

I tried other channels on this site and same problem. If your tech people don't want to listen to trance music they can always just mute WinAmp and watch the timer. When WinAmp starts streaming from there, the timer will keep ticking up. If you start it at 12noon and come back an hour later, it should have 60 minutes on the WinAmp display. If it says something like 3:01 (3 minutes, 1 second), this means WinAmp had a problem (hiccup) 3 minutes and 1 second ago and restarted the stream. But I doubt they'll have to wait long. It seems that when I start streaming the audio, within 2-3 minutes it will hiccup. The longest I've had it go was for about 20 minutes but the average is a few minutes.

PS WOW_Dan, I can't say thank you enough for doing such a great job at representing WOW on this board and always helping us out! It's greatly appreciated!

I have an active ticket open with engineers about this one.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
Network Operations Center

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to sgc
said by sgc:

I'm still having the same problem with my HD recordings being overridden by the exact same SD counterparts. I'm not the one recording both, and I can't seem to get anyone else to not record them in SD even though I made a list. It should stop them from recording the same show in SD, rather than deleting my HD recording.

My HD series recordings should not be cancelled and deleted if someone starts the same show/episode/timeslot in SD as a one-time recording. I checked the DVR logs that confirms they were not cancelled by users, but by the system due to duplicates.

I'm getting quite tired of my recordings being cancelled. It should never ever happen and I expect someone to do something about it. I shouldn't be paying $170 a month for my recordings to be cancelled.

Sorry for the rant :/ but it's REALLY annoying and should never happen.

Engineers are aware of this and are working on a solution for it. That's all I have about it at this time.
--
Dan Della Terza

gene32

Reynoldsburg, OH
reply to WOW_Dan
said by WOW_Dan:

said by gene32:

Streaming audio problems with www.di.fm:

When streaming the 96K WinAmp or 40K Windows Media Player link from www.di.fm, I get frequent audio hiccups or the stream quits after a few minutes. Never had this problem when I was using my Motorola Surfboard cable modem and D-Link router. The day I switched to Ultra TV is when this problem started happening.

To replicate, follow these steps:

Connect PC 1 to the internet (hard wired) through the UTV gateway.

Connect PC 2 to the internet (hard wired) through a Motorola Surfboard cable modem.

Install WinAmp on both PCs and have them both click on this link: »listen.di.fm/public3/vocaltrance.pls

...and then see how long they go without hiccuping/stopping.

I tried other channels on this site and same problem. If your tech people don't want to listen to trance music they can always just mute WinAmp and watch the timer. When WinAmp starts streaming from there, the timer will keep ticking up. If you start it at 12noon and come back an hour later, it should have 60 minutes on the WinAmp display. If it says something like 3:01 (3 minutes, 1 second), this means WinAmp had a problem (hiccup) 3 minutes and 1 second ago and restarted the stream. But I doubt they'll have to wait long. It seems that when I start streaming the audio, within 2-3 minutes it will hiccup. The longest I've had it go was for about 20 minutes but the average is a few minutes.

PS WOW_Dan, I can't say thank you enough for doing such a great job at representing WOW on this board and always helping us out! It's greatly appreciated!

I have an active ticket open with engineers about this one.

Thank you very much for the follow up!

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to DCSkaryd
said by DCSkaryd :

Two problems that I've noticed:

1) Connection drops (not over wireless). I have an SSH server running on my machine. If I log in from work to the SSH server on my WOW line, the connection gets dropped after ~3-5 minutes of inactivity. Same thing happens if I RDP from the WOW line to a server at my office. After a few minutes of inactivity, the connection is dropped.

2) I cannot reliably schedule shows from the web Portal "Manage My TV" / "TV Listings" page. Occasionally it gets stuck on the retrieving your DVR schedule message... In this case the 3 yellow buttons never appear. Other times, after clicking record series or record episode, I get a message about the media gateway not responding.

3) Adding port forwarders in the firewall occasionally takes 3 or 4 times before the settings are applied.

Other than these three small and minor irritations, we'll been very happy with the service.

Issues 1 and 3 are already being investigated. Issue 2 would be one I need to mention to our portal provider. I will mention this one to engineering.
--
Dan Della Terza

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to DCSkaryd
said by DCSkaryd :

One more from me...

I am unable to add DHCP reservations in the router. (LAN Setup -> DHCP -> Add button in Fixed DHCP Clients section) It appears to go through the process, but after adding and then reloading the page, the newly added reservation is no longer displayed.

This is a known issue, but it's been seen as only a display bug, you don't see it but it's actually still there. If that's not the case, please let me know.
--
Dan Della Terza

DCSkaryd

@theopalgroup.com
said by WOW_Dan:

said by DCSkaryd :

I am unable to add DHCP reservations in the router. (LAN Setup -> DHCP -> Add button in Fixed DHCP Clients section) It appears to go through the process, but after adding and then reloading the page, the newly added reservation is no longer displayed.

This is a known issue, but it's been seen as only a display bug, you don't see it but it's actually still there. If that's not the case, please let me know.

Thanks Dan! You are correct. When I reload that page after a few hours, those reservations to appear to be in place. Thanks for the update.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to Bismark

Re: Ultra TV Bug Reports - VPN

said by Bismark:

When I called about this last night, I was told WOW had a group working on VPN issues, today when I called to tell WOW what I found, I was told there is no such group in WOW.

It is not a WOW group that is working on this, but the vendor that is working on it for us.

Bismark

join:2010-02-21
Columbus, OH
reply to mix
said by mix:

These are 3 options for 3 different types of VPNs.

I know, but many users do not know what kind of VPN they use and furthermore, WOW should suggest these as the first response to a VPN problem. I suspect most WOW CSR's would not know either and there is little risk to turn them on.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
Yeah they should, assuming they actually work. The PPTP doesn't and is a known bug. Most consumer routers will have these enabled by default though.

Grid anger

@wideopenwest.com

Ultra TV Bug Reports

Im not sure whether this has already been covered, but I have gaps in the grid guide when I deselect channels to display. The grid works fine except in one spot it will display about 2 pages of black - no content at all that must be scrolled past. These pages SHOULD contain data for channels that ARE enabled for display, but do not show up in the guide.

bsipe9

join:2007-03-24
Berea, OH
reply to WOW_Dan
I've just suffered my first issue with my UTV after a month of usage.
The HDMI out on one of my Media Players has just up and died. I don't have a component cable handy, but composite works for now. Not thrilled about the 8am-8pm window for a tech visit to swap players.

mjpowz

@sterlingstudents.net
reply to WOW_Dan
When a phone call comes in and the number is displayed on the screen, I can't pause what is currently showing (live or recorded) to answer the phone. The old SA boxes did not have a problem with this.

sgc

join:2011-11-02
Naperville, IL
said by mjpowz :

When a phone call comes in and the number is displayed on the screen, I can't pause what is currently showing (live or recorded) to answer the phone. The old SA boxes did not have a problem with this.

This isn't so much a bug as it is a design flaw. It's in the user guide. Just press Clear, then press Pause.

stet
Volitar Prime

join:2002-03-08
Utica, MI
reply to WOW_Dan
I’m not sure if this is a bug or something by design but we find it to be annoying.

If we are watching a recorded show and pause it long enough to feed and/or change out 1 year old (not too long, 10 – 15 minutes or so) when we come back the screen saver has kicked in. If we press play instead of resuming the recorded show that we were watching the system reverts back to live TV.

When we navigate back to the recorded show through the DVR menu and play it sometimes it will resume from where we paused it but sometimes it just starts over.
--

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
said by stet:

I’m not sure if this is a bug or something by design but we find it to be annoying.

If we are watching a recorded show and pause it long enough to feed and/or change out 1 year old (not too long, 10 – 15 minutes or so) when we come back the screen saver has kicked in. If we press play instead of resuming the recorded show that we were watching the system reverts back to live TV.

When we navigate back to the recorded show through the DVR menu and play it sometimes it will resume from where we paused it but sometimes it just starts over.

The system currently does not recognize a pause as a stopping point. You have to actually hit stop to register the save point. You will then be able to resume the recording later on, or in another room. Not sure if this will change in the future, but I haven't heard anything about a change to that.
--
Dan Della Terza