uniqs

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

Ultra TV Feature Requests

Please post in this thread any sort of features you would like to see in Ultra TV. This does not mean the feature will added, nor does it mean the feature will be possible. This is just for people to throw out ideas, and if something seems like a good idea, and it's possible, it can be passed along for consideration.

Please note, Bridge mode for the router will not be a feature, please do not request that, as it can not be done with this equipment. Thank you.
prospector00
join:2011-02-24
Mount Prospect, IL

prospector00

1) Allow the ability to opt out of seeing VOD channels on the channel list. It diminishes the advantage of customizing a channel list when one has to scroll through the dreary list of VOD options that one has no interest in.

2) Allow some customization of fonts and font sizes for on-screen information. Don't 'gray out' unselected information such as the next three shows. They're too hard to read with the combination of small fonts and lack of contrast.
sgc7
join:2011-11-02
Naperville, IL

sgc7 to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
I'll make a longer list later. For now, I'll just suggest the following:

- automatic SD/HD selection for TVs. I'll explain later.
- Multiple color schemes. I know these exist, and would LOVE the blue background, as my screenshots were MUCH easier to read on all my televisions.
- self-install.
- VOD, PVR, and Live TV on IP devices. I was told this was a feature of UTV.
- Native support for apps such as Netflix, Hulu, Facebook, etc.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan

Premium Member

said by sgc7:

- self-install.

This will not be possible.
said by sgc7:

- VOD, PVR, and Live TV on IP devices. I was told this was a feature of UTV.

DVR recordings will most likely not be possible, as recordings are encrypted and restricted to the DVR, and we can not change that. It might be possible in the future if the laws change, but right now this is not possible, and you should not have been told it was. The live TV feature might be possible down the line, but it might not be an Ultra TV feature, just more of an extra service feature. VOD like the cable box has will never be available the same way on a mobile device, it's not possible.

dubbs
@bankone.com

dubbs to Just_Dan

Anon

to Just_Dan
I have seen this on Time Warner's boxes, so don't know if its possible with these. But when you are fast forwarding on a dvr recording thru commercials and you go past when the show starts up again for it to go back to where it starts up again. Not sure if thats possible.
tmitche2
join:2002-12-22
Utica, MI

1 edit

tmitche2 to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
- Possibility of changing the color of the clock on the MP's
- mobile app ios/android for managing DVR

Added: 2/28
- ability to changed priority in Series Recordings by numbering on the website instead of just sending it to the top.
gene32
join:2004-05-03
Reynoldsburg, OH

gene32

said by tmitche2:

- mobile app ios/android for managing DVR

The techs who installed my UTV said that an app to manage the DVR is indeed in the works but he didn't have an ETA on it.
tylerd2137
join:2006-12-20
Warren, MI

tylerd2137 to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
When you are browsing channels using the arrow keys (not in the menu system), it would be nice to have a preview of what is playing on the right hand side (without compromising speed) - or something similar. This is a feature with uverse. The ability to create custom lists. More to come later.

ghettocowboy
@wideopenwest.com

ghettocowboy to Just_Dan

Anon

to Just_Dan
being able to press the clear button at the bottom of the controller to back out of the menu you're in completely, not just get rid of the bar at the bottom when its up.

i know there were a couple more things i was thinking about while going through it, but of course when i go to put them on here i cant think of them.
bsipe9
join:2007-03-24
Berea, OH

bsipe9 to tylerd2137

to tylerd2137
said by tylerd2137:

The ability to create custom lists.

I definitely second this. It would be fantastic if I could make a couple of channel lists and have them shown alongside the existing Sports/News/Kids lists.

Also, don't leave out Windows Phone 7 when designing a DVR app.

Only other thing right now is further dimming of the Media Player lights (the two lights beside the clock). I awoke in the middle of the night and could almost read a book just off the light that sucker put out.
sgc7
Naperville, IL

1 edit

sgc7 to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
When I mean auto SD/HD selection, if you are on an HD resolution, to automatically tune to the HD equivalent, and record in HD. Also, to allow you to choose whether you want episodes to record in HD or SD.

More suggestions to make the solution even better:
- Can we at least install media players by ourselves?
- Fonts that are customizable so that they are easier to read.
- Color of the clock customization.
- iOS apps
- Voice control for the menus. I know that it will be possible, since Arris is working on the Voice APIs for it. »www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 11-11-17
- Native apps including Pandora and others. IMDB?
- USB hard drives?
- Sorting of recordings by user/folder or by date/time
- User-based quotas on storage usage (for that person in every household who records everything and never deletes it)
- extend the range of the IR sensor - it doesn't work half the time on one of them, but in the same spot there was no problem on the SA equipment
- Customer-open API so we can program our own apps for the equipment

More to come later
Body Count
join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
The ability to buy the cable boxes from WOW so we don't have to lease them. I know other cable companies using this Arris box let this happen. Simple google search will prove it.

Android App to control the TV and/or DVR recordings

Less lag when changing menu choices. I press the menu button and it seriously takes a good 4-5 seconds before the menu pops up. And if you think you didn't push it and push it again, it presses it twice and you gotta go back one step.

Easier way to delete DVR recordings. Going into 5 sub menu's just to get to the menu that lets me delete one recording is crazy.

The ability to watch TV to my computer over cat5 cable. Right now we need a tuner addon card for it. But if I have my computer hooked up to the big box via cat5... and it can read my media from my hard drives.. why can't it send data out and let me watch TV on my computer? This way we wouldn't need ESPN3 and it would save WOW money in ESPN fees.

Turn the USB ports on so we can load media from a USB stick.

I'll have more later when I use the system more.
tzbf2007
join:2008-01-07
Canal Winchester, OH

tzbf2007 to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
1. Ability to see the total dvr space left on top of the percentage left. The tech in me licks this data.

2. Original air date shown on the first info screen. Sometimes I'm having to click next two or three times to just see this information. Just should be visible on the first page on program info.

3. Displaying NEW next to upcoming shows. This would be helpfull when setting up recording or just scrolling through shows.

4. IPhone, iPad and android app to control and maximize the program data. TiVo app does this well.
tmitche2
join:2002-12-22
Utica, MI

tmitche2

said by tzbf2007:

2. Original air date shown on the first info screen. Sometimes I'm having to click next two or three times to just see this information. Just should be visible on the first page on program info.

3. Displaying NEW next to upcoming shows. This would be helpfull when setting up recording or just scrolling through shows.

I second these 2
Bismark
join:2010-02-21
Columbus, OH

Bismark to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
Option to display recorded shows in date recorded order, from latest to oldest. All other DVR's I have used default to this order.

Provide the ability of series recording of rerun shows to not record duplicates of shows already recorded. This is especially needed for cable shows as they run reruns exactly the same show multiple times during a week. TIVO has been able to do this for a long time. I understand it was there for a while during testing but removed. It is really needed.
Body Count
Columbus, OH

Body Count to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
I got a new one. In Grid mode, I want my page up and page down back! Going up and down by one channel is crazy slow.
sgc7
Naperville, IL

sgc7

said by Body Count:

I got a new one. In Grid mode, I want my page up and page down back! Going up and down by one channel is crazy slow.

Press CH+/- to scroll by page
Body Count
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count

said by sgc7:

said by Body Count:

I would have thought doing ch+/- would actually change the channel.. not do page up or page down.
sgc7
Naperville, IL

sgc7

said by Body Count:

said by sgc7:

said by Body Count:

I would have thought doing ch+/- would actually change the channel.. not do page up or page down.

Only when in Live TV. If you are in the menu, that button is re-mapped to page+/-. I actually discovered this on documentation on the retail Moxi. I'll have to find the link - it has some interesting tips that many here would find useful.
Bismark
join:2010-02-21
Columbus, OH

Bismark to Body Count

to Body Count
said by Body Count:

Channel up/down does it.

kagacins
@wideopenwest.com

kagacins to Just_Dan

Anon

to Just_Dan
I would really appreciate, when in a "Recorded Series" folder, the ability to quickly jump through recordings in that list. Right now, you can only move through one recording at a time using the up and down arrows. This is especially frustrating and slow if you have anything more than 3 recordings in a series folder. You can't even arrow up to jump to the bottom item in the recorded list. There are several possible ways to make navigating the recorded series folder episode list easier, most of which I would think are pretty easy to implement.

My second major request would be the ability to FF/RW when using HomeConnect. You can use skip, replay, back, and next to jump around in predefined intervals, but you can't actually just simply fast forward or rewind.
smellslikeMI
join:2012-02-15
Troy, MI

smellslikeMI to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
mobile app or mobile friendly site for DVR management

the ability to create user specific favorites for more than one person and the ability to do this from the internet

also a guide filter for "channels i get" the DTV DVR i had before had this feature and it was nice not to have to scroll through channels that say "you do not have this channel"
sgc7
Naperville, IL

sgc7 to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
I just thought of a few new ones:

- Messaging between Media Players, so that family members can communicate through text messages over the TV, or able to include information about the program they are watching, etc.
- Someone on Facebook asked for recording reminders, like on the SA/Cisco equipment, but not to record; only to remind.
- Zoom features (aspect ratio control)
sgc7

sgc7 to smellslikeMI

to smellslikeMI
said by smellslikeMI:

mobile app or mobile friendly site for DVR management

the ability to create user specific favorites for more than one person and the ability to do this from the internet

also a guide filter for "channels i get" the DTV DVR i had before had this feature and it was nice not to have to scroll through channels that say "you do not have this channel"

You can just delete them from your channel lists (Settings -> Channel Lists)
Dagnabit
join:2007-02-17
Warren, MI

Dagnabit to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
I would like to be able to pause live or recorded TV when the caller ID bar comes up. As it is now, the bar has to be cleared before the TV can be paused.
smellslikeMI
Troy, MI

smellslikeMI to sgc7

to sgc7
i don't have that feature on my WOW! webpage

stet
Volitar Prime
join:2002-03-08
Utica, MI

stet to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
I mentioned this in the original topic but wanted to make sure it was captured as a feature request so I'm bringing it up again here.

I would love to see the addition of a low power stand-by mode for the media players. The remote has a power toggle command which is being currently being ignored. In stand-by mode the very bright power and signal icons on the front panel can be turned off, the video outputs can be turned off, and perhaps the processor can be put into a low power mode so that these things aren't generating so much heat 24/7.

As an extension to this the DVR portion of the media gateway can also have a low power stand-by mode when it detects that all connected media players are in stand-by. There is no need to keep the hard drive(s) spinning to buffer channels for hours and hours when they are not being watched.
sgc7
Naperville, IL

sgc7 to smellslikeMI

to smellslikeMI
said by smellslikeMI:

i don't have that feature on my WOW! webpage

Right now that is only through the Smart Menu on the Media Players.
Body Count
Columbus, OH
Netgear CM1000
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

Body Count to stet

to stet
The main media box doesn't use much power in idle mode. When watching TV I do not know how much it uses but when doing nothing, it uses roughly around 10-15 watts. I know this because I have mine hooked up to an APC UPS which shows total watt output.

It's very energy efficient.
smellslikeMI
Troy, MI

smellslikeMI to sgc7

to sgc7
exactly. it would be much easier to manage said features online as opposed to with a remote