spc
uniqs

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ

MovieLover76 to elray

to elray

Re: Why not?

there is a huge difference between paying for an extremely low bandwidth 3G connection for your customer and paying for data that flows to your customer, for which the customer has already paid for access.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

said by MovieLover76:

there is a huge difference between paying for an extremely low bandwidth 3G connection for your customer and paying for data that flows to your customer, for which the customer has already paid for access.

Funny, most of the net-neutrality zealots would claim "data is data".

Of course, there is a difference.

But if Netflix wants to assure that its streams get delivered to me at full speed, without meter anxiety, why can't they negotiate on my behalf?

As the customer, I *haven't* paid for guaranteed bandwidth from Netflix. I've only paid for, as you call it, "access". For large volume, near-real-time requirements like HD video streams or videoconferencing, priority routing and delivery, indeed, might cost a bit more than an extremely low bandwidth 3G connection.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven

Wow.. That's like paying for a GigE connection, then having each site flow through it at dialup speeds unless you pay for an upgrade to each site.

I think they tried this crap in the past.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

said by SimbaSeven:

Wow.. That's like paying for a GigE connection, then having each site flow through it at dialup speeds unless you pay for an upgrade to each site.

I think they tried this crap in the past.

No, it isn't.
You aren't paying for a GigE connection.

And Netflix isn't "each site". Even their crippled streams constitute the largest use of peak hour bandwidth, nationwide.