Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

1 recommendation

Who should pay for advertising using up your allotment!

I think that there are some situations where the website should pay. Particularly when they are using up users allotment sending advertising to their browser. Windows Update, Virus signatures and other security updates, should be applied without impacting users allotment or website.

There should be three classes of data.
1) No usage charged to website or subscriber for security, virus signature updates and patches including Windows Update.
2) User paid for accessing selected websites for traditional browsing.
3) Advertiser paid for sending advertisements to your browser whether requested or automatically downloaded.

After all, any solicitor wanting to make a sales pitch does not make collect calls or send advertisements postage due, why should internet advertisers, be any different. There is a law against sending junk faxes because the receiver has to incur the cost of ink and paper, why not the same rules for internet advertising. On the other hand if a user wants to download Open Office the usage for the download should be charged against my allotment.
cwcjr

join:2002-08-02
Huntsville, AL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology

1 recommendation

Re: Who should pay for advertising using up your allotment!

Not a bad solution! The consumer is the one being duped by the internet providers, the content sponsors, the data miners, and the advertisers. The great majority of the bandwidth that we pay for is not content that we requested! We are paying for advertising and for people to mine our data (privacy invasion), whether we want it or not. The internet providers must keep upgrading their systems to keep up with demand, generated by the content sponsors collecting revenue from allowing links (interesting note here) to advertising and 'data mining' houses.

Back in the beginning, any image or content that you wanted to display, you had to store on your site. If you wanted an image to be displayed on your webpage, you had to store it and transmit it from your ISP to theirs. Now, most of what gets transmitted to you is not from the site you thought you were communicating with. There a widgets, links, bugs, and any number of other cute names for just sending an address that your browser will then go get (or give) the information that some one else wants to present to you - and YOU have to pay for it to be sent to you.

The U.S. Post Office just has not caught on, yet...
desarollo

join:2011-10-01
Monroe, MI

Both of you don't quite seem to grasp the concept that the advertising, of which you claim not to have asked to receive, is the price of admission to the web site you're visiting. Put another way, you did request to receive it by visiting the site. Don't like it, don't visit the site.

As far as the "great majority of the bandwidth", that's hyperbole and I doubt you have any statistics in which to back up that claim.
Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

I am talking about third party advertising where a website links to a cornucopia of various other websites that will send advertising to my browser. The most egregious are those websites that present a slide show constantly updating windows within their webpage running up my usage. If I go to ABC Companies website I do not expect to have to incur usage against my allotment because the website downloads advertising from other advertisers. This methodology reminds me of the scheme used by Caribbean scam artists that rerouted calls to high priced per minute call centers and then billed customers outrageous fees for usage.
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
Sounds great but will the carrier ever be able to accurately track this? This sounds really complicated with a lot of hidden "overhead". (Not network. Making sure the algorithms and usage buckets are correct and resolving endless customer disputes.)
Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

Not rocket science. If we can have toll free telephone numbers we can have usage free IP addresses. Users accessing those IP addresses would not be charged for usage. They can also establish reverse charge IP addresses for advertisers that would allow the ISP to track traffic from the advertisers website and charge them for usage.
rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

But what happens when the toll free IP address links to a video on YouTube and that isn't toll free? I don't think it's quite as simple as it seems.