how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ReeG

join:2012-02-27
North York, ON

4 edits

[Express] 99.255 subnet very slow, 99.251 very fast (FIXED)

I'm on my last week with Rogers before switching to Teksavvy and my Usenets speeds in recent weeks have plummeted. I used to get 1200kb/s all the time (with 3 connections), within the last month or so it's been intermittently slow/fast and now it's just flat out slow hopping around between 200-400kb/s on 20 connections. Prior to increasing connections I was getting literally 20KB/s.
The interesting part is the rogers speedcheck site shows my connection running at 10-15MBPS download on any given check, yet my Usenet connection continues to crawl. I have verified that this isn't a problem with my usenet provider as i've had my friend who uses the same provider check from his home (also on Rogers) at the same time I'm crawling and he's maxing out his express connection.
Can anyone help explain this?

EDIT/UPDATE: After some further troubleshooting, it appears i've figured out the issue myself. My router pulls an IP from the 99.255 subnet, my desktop direct to my cable modem grabs one from the 99.251 subnet. The latter FLYS maxed out no problem. I guess one could easily blame my router as the issue but I highly doubt it as i've never had issue with this router before and my LAN speeds are super fast. I would prove this theory if i knew how make my router obtain a different IP, but it always obtains the same one.

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada

Re: [Express] Router with 99.255 SLOW, PC direct 99.251 FAST

said by ReeG:

I would prove this theory if i knew how make my router obtain a different IP, but it always obtains the same one.

Change the MAC address in your router, release and renew. Reboot cable modem if needed.

ReeG

North York, ON

said by JAC70:

said by ReeG:

I would prove this theory if i knew how make my router obtain a different IP, but it always obtains the same one.

Change the MAC address in your router, release and renew. Reboot cable modem if needed.

I honestly don't know how to do that with my router and at this point, when I'm set to switch in a week, I'm OK with the problem being a specific segment of their network. If I'm affected by it again when I switch to my Teksavvy modem, I'll deal with it then.

ReeG

North York, ON

Re: [Express] 99.255 subnet very slow, 99.251 very fast

I investigated this further last night and am absolutely certain this isn't a problem with my router and that there is a problem with part or all of the 99.255 subnet being flooded during peak hours.
Around midnight - 1AM I was getting regular speeds via my router and 99.255 network again. I'm sure I'll go home tonight and it'll be back to crawling peak time speeds. If the issue was with my router, it would crawl consistently regardless of the time of day.

ReeG

North York, ON

UPDATE and FIX: So I get home and obviously I'm back to garbage speeds via my router and the 99.255 address it's stuck with. So I start poking around my router settings and discover I can clone my PC MAC address, which i've done, and I'm back to max speeds via my Router with a new WAN IP.

And thus my theory is proven. A segment of Rogers network is flooded and performing poorly (for a month or more and getting worse), you can contact support and be told "nothing is wrong", meanwhile something is CLEARLY wrong.