share rss forum feed

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

[Extreme Plus] Throttle off in your areas yet?

Being as rogers did not say what areas they would turn off the Throttle at least I don't think they did just making this thread if it's off in your area. Seems it's off in my area now as I can upload max on BT and did a test on Glasnost and it said no traffic was being blocked.

coolio10

join:2011-10-28

Click for full size
I think i found the test your talking about and got a good result. I live in Cambridge.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to TOPDAWG

I'll test at work tomorrow... its always been throttled to some degree...
--
GO LEAFS GO!

OldManRiver

join:2010-10-03
Nepean, ON
reply to TOPDAWG

Still appears throttled here.

But Glasnost has never reliably detected it for me. Glasnost only opens a few connections which doesn't seem to trigger throttling and never has for me.

Open a real torrent and as I watch the connection count increase, I see the torrent speed drop down under a 100 KB/s.

Labonza

join:2008-08-20
Ottawa, ON
reply to TOPDAWG

Actually, this past weekend the throttling seemed to be the most severe it's been in ages. Terrible up and down speeds. When you watch a torrent with 20+ seeds download at 10 or 20kb/sec it's pretty sad.

It
could be because of the fallout from the Megaupload situation that more people are using torrents at the moment than usual. Hopefully it's temporary.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to coolio10

Ran Glasnost, and got this in return: I'll try to download a torrent and see.

quote:
Results for your host (CPE00xxxxxxxxxxxx-CM00xxxxxxxxxxxxx.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com - 99.255.xx.xx):
Is your upload traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your uploads.
Is your download traffic rate limited?

There is no indication that your ISP rate limits your downloads.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Click for full size
Well, a 695MB ubuntu download started off rather rocky up and down, but did settle at 1.4MB/sec eventually, which is proper speed for this 12/2 business package.

I'll see how the upload goes now that its seeding.
--
GO LEAFS GO!

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON

Its not uploading more than 1-2KB/sec at at time, probably because there's so many seeders... bad torrent to test upload...
--
GO LEAFS GO!

Expand your moderator at work

ReeG

join:2012-02-27
North York, ON
reply to HiVolt

Re: [Extreme Plus] Throttle off in your areas yet?

Hey Guys, maybe i'm just telling you stuff you already know but rogers claims in their netman policy that they do not throttle download traffic of any protocol or applicaton but they DO throttle upload P2P traffic.

»www.rogers.com/web/content/netwo···nagement

If you're experiencing intermittently slow download speeds, you could be having the same issue I describe in my thread which is being attached to a specific segment of the network that is flooded during peak hours while other segments of the network remain fast.

TheFerret
The Chesse Stands Alone
Premium
join:2003-12-24
Toronto, ON

If you do a quick search of this forum, you will find ample evidence of Roger's throttling their network. In fact, the CRTC found them guilty of doing it.
--
Run Dog, Run...

ReeG

join:2012-02-27
North York, ON

said by TheFerret:

If you do a quick search of this forum, you will find ample evidence of Roger's throttling their network. In fact, the CRTC found them guilty of doing it.

Wow really? I'm new around here. Doesn't surprise me though.

Rogers_Chris

join:2010-12-15
Toronto, ON
reply to TheFerret

That's not accurate. We believe our policies were in full compliance with the CRTC regulations and they were publicly available on our website. We’ve invested heavily in next generation fibre-based technology, allowing us to deliver increased speed, reliability and capacity to our customers. We now have the capacity to turn off our policy and we will closely monitor the change to ensure our customers continue to experience the speed and reliability they expect.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

said by Rogers_Chris:

That's not accurate. We believe our policies were in full compliance with the CRTC regulations and they were publicly available on our website.

But you weren't. The fact that the file went to the CRTC Enforcements division shows that you weren't.

said by Rogers_Chris:

We’ve invested heavily in next generation fibre-based technology, allowing us to deliver increased speed, reliability and capacity to our customers. We now have the capacity to turn off our policy and we will closely monitor the change to ensure our customers continue to experience the speed and reliability they expect.

So, what about all the people whose local nodes are maxed out due to your increasing speeds without doing the required upgrades first, and have to fight for months about getting crap speeds before you can deem to even look into it to be fixed... That's not great service.

CANADIANSOUP

join:2011-06-27
Mississauga, ON

I got disconnected from the internet last night due to an outage. It happened around midnight last night. I was on hold for 7 mins waiting to speak to a tech rep. She confirmed they had several outages...