Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to Bob Anderson

Premium Member

to Bob Anderson

Re: Rear view camera required by 2014

I drive an inexpensive car that has a rear view camera in the radio screen. Comes in handy when backing out of parking spaces. Must have been cheap or they wouldn't put it on an entry-level car.

Some cars have the cameras in the rear-view mirror so there's no need for a separate screen.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
·SONIC

bobrk to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
said by I AM:

said by Bob Anderson:

I have my doubts that this will be effective and may make things worse. The problem is that drivers might rely solely on the camera when backing up instead of looking in the side mirrors and the rear view mirror and turning ones head side to side before backing up.

I agree. My dad went hunting with a family friend of ours. They came back to my place and he wanted to show his awesome back up camera to my dad. Idiot relied so much on his camera he forgot my wife's car was in the driveway and smashed into her car.

I don't get this at all. You mean he looked at the screen, saw the car and still ran into it?

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

NO he looked in the screen saw nothing there and proceeded to ram into my wife's car. I guess her car was in a blind spot. But he didn't use his brain to realize that there was a car there that he saw before he backed up.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to Bob Anderson

Premium Member

to Bob Anderson
And while we are forced these unnecessary safety things, the manufacturers give us equal parts of distractions to keep the accident ratio intact.
quote:
Undaunted by fear of safety regulations, auto makers are piling new technologies into their vehicles: everything from 17-inch dashboard screens to services that check Facebook and buy movie tickets.

This newfound confidence comes as a push for national regulations governing driving and cellphone use—including the suggestion of a total ban—has petered out.

With Americans increasingly glued to devices and their constant flow of information, the auto makers are rolling out what they call the "connected car." These vehicles can do everything from book a restaurant to delivering Twitter feeds—all at 65 miles an hour.
»online.wsj.com/article/S ··· 370.html

stev32k
Premium Member
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

stev32k to Bob Anderson

Premium Member

to Bob Anderson
Looks like the rule has been delayed for at least a year. »www.usatoday.com/news/na ··· ule_News

I personally would support such a rule even it it does add to the cost of a car. It's kinda like the seat belt rule that was very strongly opposed by a large number of people for all the same reasons I see listed here, but now that they are proven to save lives and reduce injuries I don't hear many complaints.

I think the same will happen with backup cameras. In a few years people will wonder why they not installed sooner.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77

Premium Member

Did you read the link I offered before your post? Before supporting safety backing up, I would support safety going 65mph down the highway first.

stev32k
Premium Member
join:2000-04-27
Mobile, AL

stev32k

Premium Member

said by Lurch77:

Did you read the link I offered before your post? Before supporting safety backing up, I would support safety going 65mph down the highway first.

Yes, I read your post, but I am talking about regulations not options. Maybe these "connected" cars need even more regulation or laws preventing such driving distractions.

I'm not sure I would put one first over the other - they are both important.
stev32k

stev32k to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
Also consider this: going down the highway at 65 MPH with a clear field of view is not the same backing up at a very low speed while not having any view of what is directly behind the bumper.

If one runs over something while going forward at any speed it is normally considered to be either an "at fault" accident, negligent, or reckless driving (unless unavoidable). If a back over accident occurs it is usually not considered the drivers fault because that area is not visible to the driver.

The blind area behind a vehicle can vary from about 12 feet in a small car to over 100 ft in some vans. That is where the camera is useful.

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru to Bob Anderson

Premium Member

to Bob Anderson
This will make thing's worse, cost consumers more money because they are mandated and all cars to come with built in screens. If anything it could be a insurance discount, but to force automakers....government should stick it's nose up it's own ass before looking at the auto industry. I'm just saying.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Bob Anderson

Premium Member

to Bob Anderson
I dont have a camera but I have that thing that beeps on my 2012 Cruze. the radar thing that goes off when near an object.

by 2014 I bet most cars will have a video capable screen anyway as more and more cars will have internal systems driven by software.

Retired6
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Earth

Retired6 to Bob Anderson

Premium Member

to Bob Anderson
said by Bob Anderson:

Rear view cameras will be required by 2014 according to Fox news

»www.foxnews.com/us/2012/ ··· by-2014/

I have my doubts that this will be effective and may make things worse. The problem is that drivers might rely solely on the camera when backing up instead of looking in the side mirrors and the rear view mirror and turning ones head side to side before backing up.

I can see the value of a rear camera for vans and trucks with high tailgates or rear back doors which block visibility. But for ordinary cars? Nope. Checking before backing up is what your neck and eyes are for.

-Bob

It's about time...
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Bob Anderson

Premium Member

to Bob Anderson
checking, backing up slowly, parents in the supermarket parking lot learning to get off their phone and watch their kids so they do not run behind cars with the backup lights on.

Tomek
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Tomek to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
said by I AM:

I agree. My dad went hunting with a family friend of ours. They came back to my place and he wanted to show his awesome back up camera to my dad. Idiot relied so much on his camera he forgot my wife's car was in the driveway and smashed into her car.

My mom has a back-up camera, I need to remind her CONSTANTLY not to rely on it.

Instead of camera's. Those large vehicles, just like trucks should be REQUIRED to have audible reverse signal.

Steimes
I make internets
Premium Member
join:2002-01-08
Belle Vernon, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Steimes

Premium Member

said by Tomek:

said by I AM:

My mom has a back-up camera, I need to remind her CONSTANTLY not to rely on it.

Instead of camera's. Those large vehicles, just like trucks should be REQUIRED to have audible reverse signal.

I had the sonar system (with visual display of the sonar on the dash), and I liked it a lot. I agree though, it is not a replacement for good common sense and being aware of your surroundings. That said, it will make you a better "back-er upper" in the long run. My current ride does not have the system, but it gave me the confidence to trust myself backing up (with caution) and I always back into parking spaces and my garage now.

I think at the end of the day I would prefer the sonar system over the video.... can't put my finger on it as to why though...

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon

Wife's relatives in France have a Renault with a sonar system. When parallel parking, they still back up until the hit the car behind them.

sapo
Cruising Down Memory Lane
Premium Member
join:2002-09-16
Sacramento, CA

sapo to Bob Anderson

Premium Member

to Bob Anderson
Back up cameras are for large vehicles. You always check your surroundings before getting in a vehicle and that prevents this kind of crap. They should mandate minimum rear visibility standards instead. Too many cars are poorly designed for the sake of aesthetics. I am so very impressed by your pretty car for all of 1 second when I'm driving.

I can only dream of the day where we implement actual driving standards instead of doing stuff like this for the sake of making an extra dollar.

jed
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Alberta, Can

jed to Bob Anderson

Premium Member

to Bob Anderson
Regulations and making these options do nothing for the actual skill level of a driver. This has nothing to do with the efficacy of the option itself, and everything to do with a driver actually DRIVING his/her car. Having skills and paying attention. Yes accidents happen, but for God's sakes, this continual dumbing down of driving skills is making things worse.

Instead of doing this kind of BS, why are we not mandating driving SKILLS as a course, as part of getting a license?
Sniper3142
Slapsho3142
join:2002-01-25
Tustin, CA

Sniper3142 to Bob Anderson

to Bob Anderson
I've had a backup camera in my last 2 vehicles (both SUVs).

They are VERY useful for backing up. But I ALSO ALWAYS use my Head and Eyes along with my mirrors to check my surroundings.

As a rule, I almost always Back Into any parking spot I use (other than parallel parking... of course). I feel it is much safer to pull forward when leaving than backing out.

Oh... and my current vehicle also has that sonar / beep backup assist system. I hate that thing with a passion and always leave it DISABLED.

Despite these systems being useful, I don't think they should be mandatory.

Steimes
I make internets
Premium Member
join:2002-01-08
Belle Vernon, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Steimes

Premium Member

said by Sniper3142:

Oh... and my current vehicle also has that sonar / beep backup assist system. I hate that thing with a passion and always leave it DISABLED.

Does your current system have a "sonar" screen on the dash to go along with those beeps? If not I agree with you, pretty much useless, especially when they pick up things like the walls or sides of your garage or the car next to you. No way to tell if that beep is for a todler playing behind your tailpipe or the wall of the garage your are parking in.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to Bob Anderson

Premium Member

to Bob Anderson
Backup cameras for me is a must when buying a new car