how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Goodmongo

join:2011-10-21
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Mike

Re: [Vanilla] What Was Vanilla WoW Like?

said by Mike:

Blizzard is half doing it wrong.

Or as the optimist in me likes to think:

Blizzard is half doing it right.

Agamemnon

join:2010-08-25
Knoxville, TN
reply to Immer
I missed some good times.

Josof

join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA
said by Agamemnon:

I missed some good times.

from a world pvp standpoint, it was a blast. Horde Shamans and Alliance Pallys were always KOS on my server. back then, those 2 classes were like were like the mascots of each faction.

the 5 million nelf hunters named xxlegolasxx i dont miss so much. :P

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to Goodmongo
said by Goodmongo:

Or as the optimist in me...

lolwut?!?
--
Mcbrain, Goblin Shadow Priest, [Collapse], Kil'Jaeden

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to Agamemnon
World PvP was never the same after flying mounts. That's the truth. World PvP in Vanilla was epic. But with introduction of LFD and all that other stuff who actually leaves the city now?

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Pollux7777
said by Pollux7777:

Nessingwary's camp in STV was a dangerous place to linger....

I'd hide in the water and kill everything that came there on my old PvP server. It was terrible for horde when I was on. When they'd get their mains, I'd hide. Then when the alts came back killing would ensue.

liquoranne

join:2009-01-14

3 edits
reply to stvnbrs
said by stvnbrs:

said by Fiftycals:

Now all you have to do is have a mouse and keyboard to get epix. Lame

You are right, Epic gear should be reserved for the great players such as yourself, all others should be in blues and go fishing amiright? Epic gems are the new epix as you speak, and the elitist view of WoW (stop giving things away except to me cause I deserve it) is gone, thank goodness. There are ways to increase difficulty without limiting content to everyone, and I believe that Blizzard has done a good job at appeasing several levels of gamers. Besides, rose-tinted glasses are just that.

I believe Blizz has done the complete opposite of what you state. As one that has played WoW from launch where i wasnt in a hardcore raid group and focused on PvP more than PvE (High Warlord anyone??). It use to feel like an accomplishment to get an epic item, or down a raid boss. Now, the only feeling of accomplishment is to down Heroic Bosses with the only difference to gear is ilvl. And your comment of not playing the game for accomplishment is complete garbage. If you didnt care about accomplishment you wouldnt care about content/gear. You would be ok with spending hours upon hours wearing grey items and fishing in ponds (cause there really is nothing to accomplish doing that).
I am tired with people stating that "we pay the same so we should see the same as everyone else" line. I never was one to care about pixels or content (even tho having cooler looking gear than everyone else made the gear itself better). All i cared for was the challenged that each had. EQ did a very good job as their legendary items, were just that, Legendary. Not every mouth breather could obtain the item, and people were ok with that. If someone wanted to devote that much time to obtain pixels, well then great. Thats what they want to do.
I have quit WoW after Firelands due to the advent of LFR (probably would have quit regardless as content is becoming more trivial). Blizzard has eliminated the feel of being on a server, no one cares who is who. Prior to LFD/LFR you could slowly distance yourself from griefers as peoples reputations determined who to not group with. Now, you can get stuck with mages that sit there spamming wand attacks, or healers that think dps is more important than healing the tank or tanks that arent geared for content. Sure i could be an "elitist" and group with a core group for dailies/raids, but those people are too busy busting their heads on Heroic Spine rather than worrying about a heroic dungeon. So im stuck with the "i pay the same to play the same" genre and hate it. Tough for me i know. Good riddance most would say.

Now back on topic, best Vanilla moment was achieving High Warlord (we had a alternating system for the highest pvp'ers so we could share the title). The next best moment was the opening of the AQ Gates. It was literally hell on Azeroth. No one knew what would happen, and the lag was massive. People/Bodies everywhere and general chat looked like barrens chat on steroids. Vanilla was a grind, but once you obtained what you were after, it made the experience almost worth it. Now its the same grind (albeit a lot easier) with no "epic moment" attached.

Edit: So to most i sound elitist, but i use to enjoy a challenge (even if you couldnt devote 5 hours a day). I was never in a top tier guild until the end of BC and Wrath, and even then it was for small moments of time. Typically i stayed with smaller, more friendly guilds that had similar challenge seeking mindsets. Now the only challenge is to devote the time demanded by hardcore guilds, because normal mode isnt a challenge.

Fiftycals

join:2010-02-16
El Paso, TX
Agree with liquoranne here. That sense of accomplishment is gone. The furthest I got in Vanilla was BWL and even though we didnt get into Naxx people went crazy on vent everytime we downed a new boss.

Back on topic. In AQ we used to have a hunter that pulled the wasp pats naked cuz almost everytime he pulled he died lol. Stacking nature resist ftw. Opening of the AQ gates was and always will be the most epic wow event ever. The time it took both factions to gather all the materials to open the gates, people farming for the materials, the whol thing was well put together.... Until it was time to actually open the gates. The lag was terrible but it was the only time ive ever seen so many people in one place at the same time in wow. I think 80-90% of all lvl 60s were present, low level characters were even spirit running there to see the event if they couldnt get summoned. I wish wow would do something similar to that event again!

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
kudos:5
reply to liquoranne
I actually have spent more hours fishing than I would want to admit. I agree with the cross-realm statement about servers not feeling like servers much any more. Much asshatery can be placed solely on the ambiguity of running in groups with no consequences of actions due to lack of server "rep". The game has changed, I have been playing since Vanilla as well, not since launch, but for a long time. I have done the 20 hour/week raiding in BC, and it has since slowed to the point of being able to play when I can.

Do I expect to get epic items because I should? No, but wasn't the same path taken in vanilla as it is now in Cata? Dungeon up to gear till you can raid. Kill boss, get loot. Difference is time spent working on attunements and how long it takes to get gear before being able to jump in a raid. Keep in mind, this game has been out for over 5 years. Blizz has rehashed so many fight mechanics that they aren't as new as they once were. This game has evolved, instead of giving the top 3% a view of 1/3 the raiding content, all can experience it, this is a good thing. Titles mounts and best gear are still reserved for the best of the best.

I just can't understand those that think others don't deserve anything based on their personal criteria. It is hilarious how other people being able to play to their preference upsets players that have no connection.

OT: AQ gate opening was best event imo.
--
I am stating my opinion. Obviously you don't like it. Honestly, I don't care.

liquoranne

join:2009-01-14

1 edit
I am not saying that people dont deserve said content. All i am saying is that now there is still that division, but they left people like myself with nothing to shoot for. I cant make a 3 night a week raid attendance, therefore i cannot raid with a heroic level raid group. I am left with regular raiding (and personally i havent seen many people trying this with the advent of LFR on my server) and LFR, which to me is laughable to say the least. LFR has killed off many of the "casual raiding" guilds on my server. No one advertises this style of guild now that anyone can que in LFR to receive free purples. The simple fact that Deathwing was killed in the first week of LFR shows how simple this level of raiding is. The changes might be good for the "many" but for a lot of people like myself, we are left with no goals that can be attained that require some level of aptitude. If Blizzard wants to keep people from cramming through content at its current rate, maybe attunement (or somthing similar) is something they should revisit. And the biggest difference now than Vanilla/BC with gear progression, is that i can skip an entire tier of raids to step forth into DS. Try skipping SSC/TK before stepping foot into Sunwell, or having dungeon sets before MC. We blow through content now cause its all skippable with the next content release.

So i left for SWTOR, which is no pretty pearl either, but atleast there is a server feel in the game. So one piece of the missing puzzle has been obtained atleast.

qualitybobby
Premium
join:2009-12-29
Middleville, NY
reply to Pollux7777
said by Pollux7777:

The field between Tarren Mill and Southshore looked like a nuclear apocalypse. Good luck if you were trying to actually quest there as a lowbie!

It was still like that in BC. I started right after BC came out, and I can still remember guild chat going off when the war at the (South)shore was starting up.

djlar

join:2009-04-23
reply to Immer
IDK but can Blizz create "Legacy Realms"? meaning in those realms you'll play old content and can only ding to 60 and cannot be DKs, goblins and worgens on them, neither alliance Shamans or Horde paladins.. and go thru the processes for atunement, AQ door opennings, etc.. also could create BC legacy and Wotlk Legacy...

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by djlar:

IDK but can Blizz create "Legacy Realms"? meaning in those realms you'll play old content and can only ding to 60 and cannot be DKs, goblins and worgens on them, neither alliance Shamans or Horde paladins.. and go thru the processes for atunement, AQ door opennings, etc.. also could create BC legacy and Wotlk Legacy...

I think that would be cool. They could do one server for vanilla (latest patch of vanilla prior to BC). One server up to BC (latest patch prior to WotLK). I see no need to make a WotLK server.

Thing is... you have to have separate clients to play those toons. Blizz would have to let everyone know they don't support those clients/servers... and that's the problem. the QQ fest would be unreal. What would be good is if someone could set up a private server with the appropriate client patch. Play at your own risk, kinda thing.
--
Immergruen (resto/kitty) on Nathrezim Server (US)
Guild leader for Pride and Ego

than/then | to/two/too | A lot (notice the space in there) | you/your/you're

djlar

join:2009-04-23
Blizz already has abilities to create separate clients, big example PTR Vs. Regular

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
yes, but the PTR serves their development purposes, and they are short-lived... no real need or even implied promise of support there.

The "gains" they would get by hosting and supporting legacy servers are out-weighed by the losses. Now, if WoW ever gets downgraded at Blizz... then maybe they could do it. I'd see server mergers happening first, though.

wasntme

join:2010-10-08
Richmond, VA
reply to Immer
I remember Vanilla Wow!!

The first time I went into Ironforge I was in awe. It was amazing to me! It looked awesome and the music was so intense. I was so hooked after that.

I remember doing my epic hunter quest. All my guildies (and my future wife) were there cheering me on. It was so exciting and nerve racking. I remember each one of the 4 mobs in excruciating detail, getting one to 5% in the Blasted Lands when a mage came along and tried to help and then I had to wait 6 more hours for him to spawn. It was truly epic. I still have that epic bow too... transmorg'ed on my current bow.

I remember long ass dungeon runs and getting them together in trade chat.

I remember being the "puller" for Molten Core because I was a hunter and could feign death if I screwed up the pull.

I remember feigning death on boss wipes so I could use my rare jumper cables to pop the healer and the cheers on vent when it worked.

I remember the adds respawning in MC and having to re-clear after a few wipes on a couple bosses.

I remember warlocks that sucked at banishing... LOL

Vanilla was truly epic because it was a brand new thing. TBC wasn't new... it was all the same stuff with new covers. I still loved it and still do.

Venom1

join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA
reply to Immer
it was full of lvl 50+ NE rogues ganking my lvl 20ish UD rogue in ashenvale for 10 straight days... in game time.
--
For Rogues, by Rogues, to be used at the Rogue drive through when you order a side-order of Rogue.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to wasntme
I'm going to be a paladin out of combat so I can res the tank that gets 1 shot through broken ass Broodlord through full tier 2.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
reply to Immer
as i read these posts i remembered something that i laugh about now, in the nelf starting i died like 4 times before i figured out about area of aggro to these 3 fucking grelkin, i laugh now but back then i was so pissed, how times did you guys die in starting areas?
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
I've lost the bleeps, I've lost the creeps and I've lost the sweeps.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
In the Orc/Troll area, I would die to the Fel Hounds in that cave repeatedly...It was annoying as hell.
--
Mcbrain, Goblin Shadow Priest, [Collapse], Kil'Jaeden

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31
reply to cymraeg
said by cymraeg:

how times did you guys die in starting areas?

NE starting area Cave of Spidery Death .....still makes me cringe ;0)

saillaw
Premium
join:2007-05-08
Dismay
reply to cymraeg
They've made the Grklin's neutral now. And the cave is easier because you only have to go one way (get portaled out at the end).

I died about 100 times before lvl 10 on my original dwarf hunter. Ahh the good old days.
--
Immergruen to DeathPaladin -- "you still need to change your signature... it's ridiculous."

Noah1982

@va.gov
reply to Immer
I remember when I got my first green item. A staff rewarded to me for going into a furbolg cave near the NE starting area, and retreaving some item.

I died alot but getting something that was not grey or white was a good feeling.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
ah the mini dungeon of Ban'ethil Barren Den, died there many of times

navymaverick

join:2011-07-21
Papillion, NE
kudos:3
reply to Immer
I started WoW just after BC releases. Did I actually play Vanilla? You could argue no siince A) TBC had already released and B) my toon was/is a Draenei. However, the mechanics and the old world content (minus spacegoat and Belf islands) was still unspoiled for the most part.

That being said I remember that area in Hinterlands with the elite trolls being hard as shit. I think it is called Jintha Alor.... something like that.

I remember accepted an insisted loan of 5 gold at level 40 to get my mount and not having the chance to pay it back until level 41 a whole week later.

I remember stitches was a reason not to leave Darkshire going SSW.

I remember STV being 15+ minutes and 3 deaths to get to BB.

I remember taking on a dragon at level 20 that had a little gold dragon around its picture and finding out that did not make us equal.

I remember Swamp of Sorrows and finding out that taking on teh guards meant getting raped by horde players for the next five minutes.

Terrorsaur!

I remember Dire Maul and Sunken Temple never ended.

I remember real bonified class quest chains and not this "Stop by Shadowfang Keep when you gat a chance" bullshit.

Anyone remember Marks of the Syndicate?

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
ya i miss world dragons, something i dont miss trying to find sunken boxes to up lock picking
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
I've lost the bleeps, I've lost the creeps and I've lost the sweeps.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by cymraeg:

ya i miss world dragons, something i dont miss trying to find sunken boxes to up lock picking

I don't like the Cata attempt at having world bosses. Not sure what they were aiming for there... but "me no likey".

Pollux7777

join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Immer
I remember being a human warrior, completing deadmines with the help of a lvl 30 something Nelf rogue (who I was just in total awe of. 30 something might as well have been lvl 300 as far as I was concerned) and thanking him profusely for helping us complete the dungeon.

Up to that point I had failed repeatedly in there, Im sure in no small part to me not knowing wtf I was doing. I also remeber choosing the healers staff as my quest reward because it's weapon swing speed stat had higher dps than my 1 hand sword, lol I had no idea about secondary stats.

I also remember the first time I saw someone in westfall chat looking for more for deadmines, and he said something along the lines of "LFM for VC, pst".

I wispered him asking what "vc" meant, and he replied, "an instance."

Well I interpreted his response to mean that "vc" was another term for instance. So for like the next 30 levels, literally, I ran around in chat saying stuff like "LFM stockades VC" or "LF 1 healer for Mauradon VC". Lol /facepalm.
--
Brawnx - 85 Human Warrior - Hydraxis
Brawn - 85 Orc Warrior - Frostwolf
Pollux - 85 Human Paladin Hydraxis

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
that made me LOL, sorry pollux

saillaw
Premium
join:2007-05-08
Dismay
reply to Immer
Remember it used to be the mounts that were expensive, not the riding skill. So no one could afford to collect mounts.
--
Immergruen to DeathPaladin -- "you still need to change your signature... it's ridiculous."