how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31
reply to cymraeg

Re: [Vanilla] What Was Vanilla WoW Like?

said by cymraeg:

how times did you guys die in starting areas?

NE starting area Cave of Spidery Death .....still makes me cringe ;0)

saillaw
Premium
join:2007-05-08
Dismay
kudos:2
reply to cymraeg

They've made the Grklin's neutral now. And the cave is easier because you only have to go one way (get portaled out at the end).

I died about 100 times before lvl 10 on my original dwarf hunter. Ahh the good old days.
--
Immergruen to DeathPaladin -- "you still need to change your signature... it's ridiculous."

Noah1982

@va.gov
reply to Immer

I remember when I got my first green item. A staff rewarded to me for going into a furbolg cave near the NE starting area, and retreaving some item.

I died alot but getting something that was not grey or white was a good feeling.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

ah the mini dungeon of Ban'ethil Barren Den, died there many of times

navymaverick

join:2011-07-21
Papillion, NE
kudos:3
reply to Immer

I started WoW just after BC releases. Did I actually play Vanilla? You could argue no siince A) TBC had already released and B) my toon was/is a Draenei. However, the mechanics and the old world content (minus spacegoat and Belf islands) was still unspoiled for the most part.

That being said I remember that area in Hinterlands with the elite trolls being hard as shit. I think it is called Jintha Alor.... something like that.

I remember accepted an insisted loan of 5 gold at level 40 to get my mount and not having the chance to pay it back until level 41 a whole week later.

I remember stitches was a reason not to leave Darkshire going SSW.

I remember STV being 15+ minutes and 3 deaths to get to BB.

I remember taking on a dragon at level 20 that had a little gold dragon around its picture and finding out that did not make us equal.

I remember Swamp of Sorrows and finding out that taking on teh guards meant getting raped by horde players for the next five minutes.

Terrorsaur!

I remember Dire Maul and Sunken Temple never ended.

I remember real bonified class quest chains and not this "Stop by Shadowfang Keep when you gat a chance" bullshit.

Anyone remember Marks of the Syndicate?

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE

ya i miss world dragons, something i dont miss trying to find sunken boxes to up lock picking
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
I've lost the bleeps, I've lost the creeps and I've lost the sweeps.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by cymraeg:

ya i miss world dragons, something i dont miss trying to find sunken boxes to up lock picking

I don't like the Cata attempt at having world bosses. Not sure what they were aiming for there... but "me no likey".

Pollux7777

join:2010-02-16
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Immer

I remember being a human warrior, completing deadmines with the help of a lvl 30 something Nelf rogue (who I was just in total awe of. 30 something might as well have been lvl 300 as far as I was concerned) and thanking him profusely for helping us complete the dungeon.

Up to that point I had failed repeatedly in there, Im sure in no small part to me not knowing wtf I was doing. I also remeber choosing the healers staff as my quest reward because it's weapon swing speed stat had higher dps than my 1 hand sword, lol I had no idea about secondary stats.

I also remember the first time I saw someone in westfall chat looking for more for deadmines, and he said something along the lines of "LFM for VC, pst".

I wispered him asking what "vc" meant, and he replied, "an instance."

Well I interpreted his response to mean that "vc" was another term for instance. So for like the next 30 levels, literally, I ran around in chat saying stuff like "LFM stockades VC" or "LF 1 healer for Mauradon VC". Lol /facepalm.
--
Brawnx - 85 Human Warrior - Hydraxis
Brawn - 85 Orc Warrior - Frostwolf
Pollux - 85 Human Paladin Hydraxis

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE

that made me LOL, sorry pollux

saillaw
Premium
Dismay
reply to Immer

Remember it used to be the mounts that were expensive, not the riding skill. So no one could afford to collect mounts.
--
Immergruen to DeathPaladin -- "you still need to change your signature... it's ridiculous."

Josof

join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA

said by saillaw:

Remember it used to be the mounts that were expensive, not the riding skill. So no one could afford to collect mounts.

How many of you guys did the Wintersaber grind. That is still one sweet looking mount.

saillaw
Premium
Dismay

I started it but didn't finish it until it was nerfed in Cata. Still a sweet looking mount but much easier to get now.
--

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to cymraeg

said by cymraeg:

as i read these posts i remembered something that i laugh about now, in the nelf starting i died like 4 times before i figured out about area of aggro to these 3 fucking grelkin, i laugh now but back then i was so pissed, how times did you guys die in starting areas?

I was too pro to die in any starting area..period
--
I'm not loafing. I work so fast I'm always finished.
If idiots could fly, this would be an airport.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

He's just napping, I swear!

Josof

join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to saillaw

said by saillaw:

I started it but didn't finish it until it was nerfed in Cata. Still a sweet looking mount but much easier to get now.

Hey Sail, how long do you think it would take to get exalted with those guys now? Thats one grind i never did and would like to finish if it is still available.

saillaw
Premium
Dismay

Well now you just do a daily quest and boom you are done. I think maybe 20 days? You also get a non-combat pet.
--

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
kudos:5
reply to Immer

I remember getting my first whisper and not knowing that meant that the chat was only for myself. I spent the next 10 minutes bugging the person to tell me how to whisper when I talked lol...

I remember fishing taking forever to level... but you wanted to level it with cooking in order to get the buff. (those things mattered) I can't remember what they have done to make it faster, but you could only level or fish in areas appropriate to your fishing skill. I think you only got a skill up when you caught something, and there wasn't any guarantee that you would.. ever. (better now)

I remember getting different weapons just to hit stuff with them to ensure my weapon skill was appropriate to my level, otherwise you would miss for the next hour every time you tried to attack something. Moonglade was great for that and skinning since there were tons of vermin running around there. (better now, this sucked)

Mail took forever to get to someone, you often would risk trading in order to move things between your different toons. (better now)

Running out of quests while leveling, it happened, especially if you skipped things which made it difficult to get back on track. Many times this meant grinding mobs till you got high enough level to start a new quest line. (better now)

I remember something about running around in Un'goro collecting soil samples... (epic quest lines or rep grinding were ok in my book, neither)

Swiftthistle was a money maker as no potion limit meant rogues chugged that stuff like some homemade moonshine! (since I don't play a rogue, better now.)

Unlimited potion uses...(better now, you don't have to take in tons of pots because the fights were based on top guild carrying in a hundred pots)

So many things, yet I wonder if we remember them more for it all being a new experience, or because they were great. Many of the things people mention have been changed to make the game easier or better, so with everyone's mentions, is it better or worse now?
--
I am stating my opinion. Obviously you don't like it. Honestly, I don't care.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
reply to mettachain

said by mettachain:

said by cymraeg:

as i read these posts i remembered something that i laugh about now, in the nelf starting i died like 4 times before i figured out about area of aggro to these 3 fucking grelkin, i laugh now but back then i was so pissed, how times did you guys die in starting areas?

I was too pro to die in any starting area..period

if only this were true
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
I've lost the bleeps, I've lost the creeps and I've lost the sweeps.

Venom1

join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA
reply to cymraeg

said by cymraeg:

how times did you guys die in starting areas?

I had a rule passed down to me when i first started playing. "If you die before level 6, delete the character and start over. Things will only continue to go badly."
--
For Rogues, by Rogues, to be used at the Rogue drive through when you order a side-order of Rogue.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE

how many toons did you delete?

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to Venom1

I thought it was if you die before level 6, uninstall the game, cancel your account, and signup for ToonTown Online?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Mike:

I thought it was if you die before level 6, uninstall the game, cancel your account, and signup for ToonTown Online?

silly goose.

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14

Why not Hello Kitty Adventure Island ?

Venom1

join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA
reply to cymraeg

said by cymraeg:

how many toons did you delete?

1, first time I level'd a priest... body pulled 2 mobs at level 4 while I was oom. Sat down to drink, dead.
--
For Rogues, by Rogues, to be used at the Rogue drive through when you order a side-order of Rogue.

navymaverick

join:2011-07-21
Papillion, NE

said by Venom1:

Sat down to drink, dead.

There in lies your problem. Next time dump the drink, smash their faces in with the stein that still smells of guinness and finish it with bare knuckles and war cries like your hair is on fire and death metal is wailing in the background. Hell yeah, hell yeah. FURY PVE FTW!

...Oh you, you said priest. Nevermind.

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31
reply to Immer

hahahaha..

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
reply to navymaverick