Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Skittles

Re: [Vanilla] What Was Vanilla WoW Like?

said by Skittles:

said by Immer:

It started in Ashenvale...

It festered in STV.....hate that place to this day.

it's like you were there!
--
Immergruen (resto/kitty) on Nathrezim Server (US)
Guild leader for Pride and Ego

than/then | to/two/too | A lot (notice the space in there) | you/your/you're

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1
reply to Skittles
said by Skittles:

said by Immer:

I once got the Gurubashi Arena Master achievement on a lvl 24 Undead rogue. No one was there and I saw a chest lying the middle of the arena. Opened it, got a trinket or somthing and an achievement popped.... good times.
--
I'm not loafing. I work so fast I'm always finished.
If idiots could fly, this would be an airport.

saillaw
Premium
join:2007-05-08
Dismay
kudos:2
reply to Immer
Damnit, I used the wrong form of "there" and now its quoted a dozen times.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
haha... well, my bold comment was more for an emotive exclamation, I wasn't trying to correct your grammar with that bold text. My sig probably didn't help much either. See what pvp does to a person?

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
said by Immer:

haha... well, my bold comment was more for an emotive exclamation, I wasn't trying to correct your grammar with that bold text. My sig probably didn't help much either. See what pvp does to a person?

You need to annotate Affect and Effect as well.
--

saillaw
Premium
join:2007-05-08
Dismay
kudos:2
reply to Immer
Its alright, I'll get even one day

Back to topic: Another thing lost is important abilites that were learned by random drops. You'd have to hope some world mob dropped a book to learn a key class ability. I don't miss that.
--
Immergruen to DeathPaladin -- "you still need to change your signature... it's ridiculous."

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
Ah yes I remember that, Tome of Gift of the Wild....bitch never dropped

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to saillaw
said by saillaw:

You'd have to hope some world mob dropped a book to learn a key class ability. I don't miss that.

agreed.

The more I think about it, the more I miss the class quests. When class quests come back (fingers crossed) I hope the details of the quest vary based on spec. But each toon can only do the quest once... so, "you must choose... wisely".

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
said by Immer:

so, "you must choose... wisely".

reference to what? indiana jones? star wars? pokemon?
--

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
reply to mettachain
no what i dont miss, improved sap, you were laughed at and not even considered if you didnt have that for ubrs, hoping that there were some other pallies that were at the same point of the mount questline were online and would group with you.

i do miss barrens chat while waiting for ppl to run wailing cav.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
I've lost the bleeps, I've lost the creeps and I've lost the sweeps.

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31
reply to mettachain
said by mettachain:

I was a level 24 Nelf Druid with a mixture of Defias Leather gear with Agility and some cloth healing gear. . I happened upon this lodge in Ashenvale where there was this guy on a giant redish/pinkish tiger and had 2 guards on either side of him. Turns out that was the WSG queue guy....This was before I had made into Darnassus I believe.

I guess Im nitpicking, please forgive me, but if you were a lvl 24 NE druid in Defias gear (either from AH or the instance, as having this gear you either had it from AH which was only in IF or the instance which was only in Westfall) you would have been in Darnassas long before you ever saw WSG queue guy as he was in Azhara.

just an observation, not trying to call you out or be a troll..

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to Immer
I miss the simplicity of Vanilla. I think flying mounts destroyed how we travel and also it created a lack of world pvp because of flying mounts.

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
reply to Skittles
Are you sure? I'll post my screen shot i have of this event as it was pretty cool to see this dude in Ashenvale. I have Defias Leather on I do remember coming up with money back then was pretty rough as you'll see in the screen shot later on. I'm pretty sure he was a WSG queue dude.
--

Taino

join:2010-10-15
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to I AM
said by I AM:

I miss the simplicity of Vanilla. I think flying mounts destroyed how we travel and also it created a lack of world pvp because of flying mounts.

I don't know about that. I remember seeing this ahole nelf who would dive bomb people on their mounts. This was in WoTLK mostly around dalaran. Shadow meld out of combat, flight form rinse repeat.

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
said by Taino:

I don't know about that. I remember seeing this ahole nelf who would dive bomb people on their mounts. This was in WoTLK mostly around dalaran. Shadow meld out of combat, flight form rinse repeat.

Ah druids are the best aren't they? haha good times.
--

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31
reply to mettachain
oh I dont doubt you saw him or that he was the queue master, what I was doubting was you saying you saw this before Darnassas. You would have had to have seen darnassus before you had defias gear or saw the que master.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Immer
10-man Scholo
15-man UBRS

Killing Gandling in Scholo a million times trying to get the blue Tier 0 priest hat to drop

Spamming chat for somebody with a UBRS key

Getting the UBRS key

Begging the raid not to skip the rookery in UBRS (site of the famous Leroy Jenkins wipe) because that's where the Tier 0 priest shoulders dropped.

Getting the Benediction staff

Watching Helcular's ghost wander into Southshore and ganking unsuspecting Alliance.

Helping shaman in the guild get their purple hat in Scholo (it helps that I loved to run Scholo ).
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
reply to Skittles
That is very possible. Darnassus never really struck me as being too awesome or life changing while walking into it. Just more of the same purplely color and overgrown vines on pillars. You're probably right as if I was wearing the Defias leather I would've had to get them from the AH as I don't believe I knew what an instance was at that point either.
--

Josof

join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to saillaw
said by saillaw:

As a hunter I was really attached to my pet and didn't want to ever replace it (if I remember correctly, you could only have three. The active pet and the two with the stable master). Hunter pet stats varied from mob to mob. For example, my wolf I tamed in AV could outrun people on their mounts and hit hard. My cat the rarespawn Brokentooth, had a 1 sec swing timer, so casters had a hard time getting any spells off.

man i had brokentooth as well and remember when king bang had the fastest attack speed in the game. it was also cool learning a skill from one pet and teaching it to another.

everything was a grind back then but it was more memorable when you finally finished it. remember killing rats in the tram(alliance) just to raise a wep skill?

Josof

Virginia Beach, VA
reply to Immer
said by Immer:

said by saillaw:

You'd have to hope some world mob dropped a book to learn a key class ability. I don't miss that.

agreed.

The more I think about it, the more I miss the class quests. When class quests come back (fingers crossed) I hope the details of the quest vary based on spec. But each toon can only do the quest once... so, "you must choose... wisely".

agreed, class quest made the game more interesting and kind of immersed you in the toon you were rolling at the time. Getting my lvl 40 axe for my warrior was epic the first time around.

Josof

Virginia Beach, VA
reply to Immer
remember when elite mobs werent tethered and you could kite a lvl 60 elite mob(dragonkin etc) to lowbie towns...good times.

Taino

Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Immer
Disclaimer: My first main was a warlock and yes I used to do this, especially if I knew somebody in the lowbie area.

You know what else I remember doing? God this was such an ahole move too. Summon an infernal, park it in a lowbie area, and run far from it and release it. Oh the QQ in /1

(warlocks had to find some way to amuse themselves)

Arthritis

join:2011-10-20
Canada
reply to Skittles
said by Skittles:

said by Immer:

My eye still twitches when I quest in that area...lol.

I've never died in so many unique ways on a consistant basis over the years than I have in STV.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to Josof
Thank you for that flash back. It's not wow, but Ultima Online.
What would happen is someone would be in a location where there were dragons, or demons. They'd open a gate to a town, then step thhrough. The demon or dragon would follow them [sometimes just 1, more often several] and toons getting killed would ensue. UO killed this by making it impossible to gate from dungeons, made the guards immortal and gave them an insta kill hit.
But ya, like you said, it was interesting.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

watermasta

@usmc.mil
reply to Arthritis
I have quite a few fond memories of Vanilla.

-First one being when I acheived my epic land mount. It truly was a status symbol because gold did not flow out of your ass like it does these days.
-Receiving my first epic. I'll never forget, it was the Staff of Dominance from MC. I felt like such a boss.
-Raiding with 40 people. It felt so epic to have so many people working together at the time. The boss mechanics are laughable by today's standards, but being a part of a 7 man mage core was pretty damn cool.
-Getting my tome for the "good" water in DM. It was almost required of mages at the time if you planned to raid, and in line with that...
-Logging in 20 minutes early to make enough water for the entire raid because you only conjured 4 water at a time.

Sure alot of those things that were changed are for quality of life and some people don't look back on them fondly, but just like your grandfather who had to walk 20 miles to school in snow uphill bothways, It's a way of saying "Yeah, I did that shit!"

Spork35

join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA
reply to Zyncotl
said by Zyncotl:

Epic mounts were 1000g. That's not a lot now, but back that it was a ton of gold. Getting an epic land mount was a worthy achievement.

Back then an epic mount could buy an epic mount.
--
"Every once in a while, declare peace....it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Aorf

@ccra-adrc.gc.ca
reply to watermasta
Leveling your weapons skills and learning these skills at the weapon master (and traveling - walking from big city to big city to get all available weapons training)

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to Immer
WoW was still pretty easy going in Vanilla. Nothing is scary after Everquest vanilla...I still wake up some nights crying...

Taino

reply to Aorf
Oh God I forgot about the weapons training. That was such a pain in the ass when I started tanking. Get an upgrade, threat goes in the toilet. Glance at the combat table Your skill in 1h axes increased to 2 /facepalm

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Immer
When my first toon, a human mage, was below 20 I was questing in Redridge and decided to sneak a peek into that interesting looking zone to the north. At that level you aggro those level 50-ish fire imps in Burning Steppes from about four miles away.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.