uniqs

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to Grimm

Premium Member

to Grimm

Re: [Vanilla] What Was Vanilla WoW Like?

I think it was like 50g back in the day? 50g was a good amount too.

Phantasee
join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

Phantasee to Grimm

to Grimm
Yea, WF was mean, but Reckoning Pro pallies were scarier. They could virtually 1 shot you and could TAKE a hit. Either way. Being on the receiving end of the shaman or the pro pally hurt back in the day.

Zyncotl
Zed X
Premium Member
join:2002-09-13
Wayne, MI

Zyncotl to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
Molten Core, Onyxia, and Blackwing Lair attunement. MC and BWL weren't bad but Onyxia!!!

82 runs for my Shadowcraft helm. Ugh.

When Bloodfang was changed from red shadowcraft to smokin shoulders... pimp set!

Being able to start no instances without a limit for farming the arcanite reaver recipe in lbrs.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· IYRrgZ04

never gets old

saillaw
Premium Member
join:2007-05-08
Dismay

1 edit

saillaw to SixOfNine

Premium Member

to SixOfNine
said by SixOfNine:

When my first toon, a human mage, was below 20 I was questing in Redridge and decided to sneak a peek into that interesting looking zone to the north. At that level you aggro those level 50-ish fire imps in Burning Steppes from about four miles away.

This made me lol because I did the same thing

Also, the hunter epic quest was still the best quest I've done in the game.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

i did the same thing right there in RR but i aggroed the fire ele that used to pat there, and this was before tidy plates so i didnt see its level till it one shot my druid.

Arthritis
join:2011-10-20
Canada

Arthritis to Immer

to Immer
The cornucopia of awesomeness that is Black Rock Depths. You could literally spend months in there, and I certainly did.

And Onyxia……omfg what a fight. First time ever in a game I actually thought “I have literally no idea how we are going to kill this fucking thing!”.

Onyxia will always have a piece of my heart in this game forever. My first fight with her I tanked, and as I ran in to grab her it seemed to take forever… all I could hear was that sound she made, to me it sounded like purring….everyone went silent, my heart actually raced during this and just when I was going to pull I hear from our GM offers “Dude, you are soooo going to die….”

And seeing her eyes open for the first time, I actually felt it. Fun stuff.
Josof
join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA

Josof to Venom14

to Venom14
said by Venom14:

said by Taino:

Oh God I forgot about the weapons training. That was such a pain in the ass when I started tanking. Get an upgrade, threat goes in the toilet. Glance at the combat table Your skill in 1h axes increased to 2 /facepalm

as a level 50 paladin, i'd go back into rage-fire chasm (instance in ogrimmar for the allys in this thread) and swing and miss at the level 13 elites for 1/2 an hour to level up my weapons. 1h maces/1h swords/2h maces/2h swords/polearm...

oh sh!t, remember when pally's used polearms

i miss when pallys were exclusive to the alliance and shamans were horde only.

Grimm
join:2011-05-23

Grimm

said by Josof:

i miss when pallys were exclusive to the alliance and shamans were horde only.

^^

stonhinge
Premium Member
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS

stonhinge to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
I miss ... um ... to be honest, there's not a lot I miss.

Well, I miss dungeon sets. I did like those. In fact, there's a lot fewer sets in the game as a whole, discounting the crafted sets, which only require 2 for a bonus. I'd like to see dungeon sets make a comeback in MoP. Gives you something to shoot for as you gear up for raiding. Weapon sets, like Dal'Rend's, or Eskander's Claws. Even the weapon/ring/cloak combos from AQ20.

While I didn't have a hunter or priest in Vanilla, I've never really heard anything bad about Rhok'delar and Benediction quests - except for the difficulty. Dragonwrath and Fangs of the Father help alleviate that somewhat, as they too require doing things - tough things - solo, outside of the raid instance. The Wrath legendaries didn't feel quite as epic (or legendary, as the case may be).

I definitely do not miss looking for a group in trade, being stuck in a guild full of 60-80 people if I wanted a chance at raiding (and usually hearing the dreaded "Full on rogues"), or same-server only BG queues.

I get more camaraderie out of my smaller guild than I ever did in the 60-80 man guild I was in before.

saillaw
Premium Member
Dismay

saillaw to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
I seem to recall that gear and equipment upgrades were really felt in vanilla. When you finally got that new piece of gear, you could tell a big difference in performance. I swear when I got Rhok Delar Longbow of the Ancient Keepers and Lok Delar Stave of the Ancient Keepers my dps shot through the roof. Now you get an upgrade and yes you have improvements, but they are not orders of magnitude better.

And you get upgrades so much faster now. I remember times when I would raid five nights a week and would think it was a good month if I got two new upgrades.
Kltpzyxm
join:2009-04-30
Rochester, NY

Kltpzyxm to Immer

to Immer
[Roasted Peanuts] - Restores 10% of Health, provided you do not have an Allergic Reaction (size increased by 5% and you turn red) - duration 10min.

or

[Sparkling Refreshment] - Restores 50% of Mana, after 3min "Still Thirsty!" DeBuff you receive same amount of Mana gained from drinking the 1st half.

Phantasee
join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

Phantasee to saillaw

to saillaw
I remember that time I played a paladin and liked it.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg to Kltpzyxm

Premium Member

to Kltpzyxm
remember that recockulous( worse than rediculous) questline for the nogginfogger elixir, cant tell you how many of those eles i killed to get that damn mfin dew gland
djlar
join:2009-04-23

djlar

I remember on my first toon, a human pally, with no friends no guild and having to walk everywhere, then quests to get the regular horse and the epic horse, that took a lot of effort, gold and multiple dungeon runs..

Also wondering into zones way above your level and getting one shotted by mobs.

I clearly remember when I wondered into the Twilight Groove where this big dragon was and destroying people who aggroed him.. once there was a raid going, I got invited, 40 people couldn't kill it...

Also remember countless runbacks to the dungeon entrances, hated those some like Deadmines, BRD, Maraudon, etc required several mins of runbacks (many people rolled Belf for the increased runback speed LOL)..

Ah and when druids couldn't res, or had a big arse res CD.. (don't remember which).

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

you wandered in... then you wondered where you were.

Infraction! belf was TBC... Night Elf was Vanilla (lol... I can't wait to go home)

why does the clock on the wall move so slowly?
slckusr
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC

slckusr to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
It was more social back in vanilla. You actually needed to interact with the players on your server, so you got to know people.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
It was shit. The world PvP is the only thing one missed out on. Everything else is pure nostalgia goggles.

saillaw
Premium Member
Dismay

saillaw to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
said by Cranius :
I've seen a great many things that cause a man to wonder
I've seen a great many things that can tear a man's heart asunder
But the day that will not let me go, it haunts me to my burning soul
Is the day I found Pamela wandering Darrowshire

Can you help me find my dolly? I left her by the window sill
Have you seen my daddy? I think he went off to war
And can you tell my family I've been missing them for oh so very long
Ask them why'd they leave me here alone in Darrowshire

I bring word from your sister, she's alive and well in Winterspring
Here I found your dolly, it's up to you to keep her safe
And your father's coming home again. The war for him is over
And your spirits once again may be at rest in Darrowshire

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· aynext=1

This video and song always remind me of playing in Vanilla.

Arthritis
join:2011-10-20
Canada

Arthritis to slckusr

to slckusr
said by slckusr:

It was more social back in vanilla. You actually needed to interact with the players on your server, so you got to know people.

This^.

And you actually had to care about your reputation and conduct in the game.

Fiftycals
join:2010-02-16
El Paso, TX

Fiftycals

In Vanilla you knew who the top pvpers in the opposing faction were... by name! My first character was a Paladin. I made him because I played Diablo 2 forever til wow came out, and in D2 Paladins were the shit! So I made my pally Ret..... and as soon as I hit 60 I was constantly being bitched at cuz I was a ret pally. My guild leader basicly told me go holy or go home lol. I spent many many nights in UBRS.

Hunter kite Drakk anybody? "Hunter, kite Drakk out of the room while we kill the 2 adds".... "Fuck I died, Drakk inc" wipe!

In Vanilla purples meant something! That's the main thing I really miss. If you had an epic item you were in a good guild. Thank god Pallies Judgement set was hot! Now all you have to do is have a mouse and keyboard to get epix. Lame

stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

stvnbrs

Premium Member

said by Fiftycals:

Now all you have to do is have a mouse and keyboard to get epix. Lame

You are right, Epic gear should be reserved for the great players such as yourself, all others should be in blues and go fishing amiright? Epic gems are the new epix as you speak, and the elitist view of WoW (stop giving things away except to me cause I deserve it) is gone, thank goodness. There are ways to increase difficulty without limiting content to everyone, and I believe that Blizzard has done a good job at appeasing several levels of gamers. Besides, rose-tinted glasses are just that.
Peterpiper63
join:2011-06-27

Peterpiper63 to Fiftycals

to Fiftycals
Having the quest line to upgrade your Tier pieces, including having to spend I think it was 200 Gold in gagetstan along with other things.

seeing WPL and EPL for the first time.

5k health was Awesome

UBRS was the place to go to.

Killing 4 dragons all around the world to complete that 1 quest. Forget what it was. Last dragon was in between the gates of Trolbard If I remember right.

Summoning stones put at the entrances of Instances.

Running across the Barraons for the first time to get to the crossroads at lvl 14-16 and getting killed as soon as you passed camp t.

Warlocks could kill players in a duel.

Elemental invasions

Rhenai
join:2010-09-07
Pensacola, FL

Rhenai to Immer

to Immer
- Your hunter's pet needed to be fed, if not happy, performance was not optimal. Had to feed it the right foods, too.

- Had to load up on ammo for guns/bows. Special weapon bags to store this in and gain a bonus.

- Running forever until you got a mount - used to take 12 minutes to run from top of Stranglethorn Vale to bottom.

- Warsong Gulch battles were not timed.

watermasta
@usmc.mil

watermasta

Anon

-Neferian using the Hunter's class call and having one of the hunters forgetting to de-equip his weapon.

UMADBRO?

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike to stvnbrs

Mod

to stvnbrs
Blizzard is half doing it wrong.

Really good gear should be really hard to get. Else you're playing tick-tack-toe. Three year olds play that. Content should be difficult, then once the new one is out, the old ones get easier. If you keep nerfing the same active content, what the hell is the point of getting the same reward if it's getting nerfed eventually for almost free.

SWTOR does this differently. Each raid has three difficulties in instances and applies to the entire instance. Derp, Hard, and Nightmare. Same content, same fights, different loot table.

Fiftycals
join:2010-02-16
El Paso, TX

Fiftycals to stvnbrs

to stvnbrs
said by stvnbrs:

said by Fiftycals:

Now all you have to do is have a mouse and keyboard to get epix. Lame

You are right, Epic gear should be reserved for the great players such as yourself, all others should be in blues and go fishing amiright?

If your skill to fish is even high enough. Oh wait you can fish in any water now. I guess enjoying a challenge is being an elitist? Most the candy purplez now should be blues anyways. They just make the name in purple to make people like you feel like you accomplished something for doing a 10 minute dungeon.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

stvnbrs to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
- running from capital city to capital city to learn your weapon skill, having to level that skill in order to hit with it.
- hunters had to tame pets to get abilities to teach their main pets
- broke ie. no gold...ever
- pallies were still OP
- STV gankfest
- stopping at every flight point, needing to visit all of them.
- Running to SM (was still best place to level in 40s) from Southshore after waiting to get a group for 30 min - 1 hour (WPL was too high level)
- Night elf huntards
- Pallies had to refresh seals after judging, they had to auto-attack for first 15 levels
- Learning to wand was essential for casters
- Polymorph was actually used while leveling
- Rogue stunlock was even worse

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to Rhenai

Premium Member

to Rhenai
said by Rhenai:

- Your hunter's pet needed to be fed, if not happy, performance was not optimal. Had to feed it the right foods, too.

- Had to load up on ammo for guns/bows. Special weapon bags to store this in and gain a bonus.

Man I don't know how much I spent on Food, Arrow, and Water.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

lol... running out of arrows mid-fight was a PITA