spc
Search similar:

uniqs
scottct1
join:2002-01-28
Newington, CT

scottct1

[CT] Blah - Down Again

Over the weekend we had a little bit of wet snow. My house is on a hill and when I went outside the cable wire from the pole to my house was almost touching the ground from the weight of the wet heavy snow.

Since then my internet speeds at my house have been slow.. If I tried watching a Youtube video it would buffer every 10 seconds..

Today being a busy day I needed to connect to my machine at home to grab some files I needed to find that my connection is down.

I have been watching it pop up and down all day as I watch my security cameras while I am in the office.

The issue is I need my internet to work but I wont be home much over the next few days.

I am rather certain the problem is outside as I have made no changes inside the house and the modem is a new modem which they installed about a month ago.

My wife reset the modem and the router with no luck fixing things. (And now she is at work too)

Is there a way to schedule a service call without needing to be home?

Is there a way to check if it a problem in my neighborhood?

I am in Newington Connecticut just off Main Street and East Robbins Avenue.

Thanks!

AnonGuy
@cox.net

AnonGuy

Anon

You can request an outside only Trouble Call.

However don't count on it being ran. The problem is probably the down wire causing the connectors to fail (suck Out) or something similar.
But there is no guarantee and the techs have a accountability that noone has to go back to the residence in X number of days for the same problem. SO most techs will not do an outside onlt because they do not know if there is other problems.

Here Cox has 2 hour appointment windows and work 7 days a week as late as 6PM.

I would try to make some time for someone to be home and get this resolved.
scottct1
join:2002-01-28
Newington, CT

scottct1

They are coming out tomorrow night. My speedtest is showing 0.10 mbps down and 2.35 mbps up. I am on the 30 Mbps service tier.

Looking at the modem here are my signals.

Frequency 855000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 39.8 dB
Power Level 1.2 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 2
Frequency 33600000 Hz
Power 44.0 dBmV

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR Correctables Uncorrectables
1 Locked QAM256 25 855000000 Hz 1.0 dBmV 39.9 dB 70545 79846
2 Locked QAM256 36 867000000 Hz 1.8 dBmV 40.3 dB 71435 82936
3 Locked QAM256 37 873000000 Hz 1.2 dBmV 39.4 dB 75884 74494

Having LOTS of lost packets.
scottct1

scottct1

Last night I went home and the max download speed I could get was a meg...

However today I just tested it and got 30 MB down and 8 Up. It was acting slow for the past few days so I dont know if I should cancel the service call or have him come and check it anyways.

My luck is it will test great and as soon as he leaves it will drop down again.
scottct1

scottct1

Well last night the tech came and luckily it was doing it again. He couldn't figure it out. One moment I would be getting a 30MB connection, a few second later doing a speedtest to the same site the speed would not be any higher then 4 MB...

He was stumped.

He changed the ends of all the cables (The line comes from the pole to the ground point outside and then directly to the modem, there is no splitters or anything in the line.)

Even after changing the ends it was still acting strange, his first test was less then a meg.. next test was over 30 mb... there was no rhyme or reason.

So finally he did the only thing left that he can do. (They replaced my modem last month) so he suited up and climbed the poled and replaced my drop... in the rain and snow.

He took his time to make sure he did a good job and it took a long time, but at last he was done, we rebooted the modem and did a bunch of speed tests... we were getting 32mb with the lowset test at 24 mb. He tested it a bunch of time to make sure it was good he wasnt leaving until I was happy.

I was VERY impressed with the service I got yesterday! And my internet is working very well now thank you!