how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4me

@verizon.net

Will 'Do Not Track' Work? - Analysis

Can Do Not Track starve the Web's Cookie Monster?:

Last week, the White House announced a new Internet privacy agreement with the companies serving nearly 90 percent of "online behavioral advertisements," theoretically forcing the likes of Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, and AOL to stop monitoring the Web-surfing habits of users who click a "Do Not Track" button on their browsers.

While a good step toward broader Web privacy protections, the agreement itself illustrates the difficulties of enforcing privacy guidelines on the Web: we must rely on advertisers to police themselves and on browser makers to implement functionality that helps users opt out of behavioral tracking.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 recommendations

I am sure that it will be at least as effective as clicking the "remove me" link in a spam email.

--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to FF4me

This is going to be just as effective as the "Do Not Call" list.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by TheMG:

This is going to be just as effective as the "Do Not Call" list.

Especially when everyone discovers that the US of A has zero legal recourse for enforcing something like this in most sovereign states around the world. At which point, the "Do Not Track" record becomes a known-good addressing index for all manner of ads and spam, just like the "Do Not Call" list has become a known-good calling index for certain off-shore VOIP telemarketers. ("Rachel" and Cardholder Services, are you out there... ?)
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

shortckt
Watchen Das Blinken Lights
Premium
join:2000-12-05
Tenant Hell

That's why any usable solution to the problem will need to come not from a government, but from the technical community, and be implemented at the client side, not the server, since the client inherently can't put 100% trust in the server (or it's operator.)