spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jpren74

@bellatlantic.com

[General] 4g suffolk county Ny

Has anyone out there heard of verizon 4g lte coming to suffolk county NY. Noticed on the coverage map that it seems to stop right about at route 110. I find it odd that it has not gone any further east considering the high population of suffolk county compared to some of the much smaller cities and markets it has been deployed.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

Deployment is based on many things. Is the tower owned by Verizon or leased from someone else? How much additional weight and wind loading can the tower take? Does the tower have enough data capability to deal with LTE customers? If not, what do we do about it? Add fiber feeds? Add T-3 feeds, Add T-5 feeds? How is the weather for installation? Do we need an electricity upgrade? How is our manpower for installation? Do we have to bring in some crews from out of the region? Do we need to lease installation equipment? Is it available in the local area? How much do we spread the installation of LTE around the nation vs. let us complete the entire Atlantic coast from Key West, Florida to Calais, Maine? There is money to be made in both types of deployments, but which one gives Verizon the most ROI in the long run?

I am in central Georgia with no LTE. I look at all the deployment in Florida and sometimes wonder why not us? But then, those early adopters of Verizon LTE, have had to suffer several widespread network outages. They have had to deal with some badly designed phones, modems, and mobile hotspots. Better that they work out the problems with their money than I with mine.

jpren74

@bellatlantic.com

Appreciate the feedback, but it still does not make sense. Suffolk county is not an isolated area in the middle of a state, there are almost 1 1/2 million people, most of which live in the western part of the county, and Nassau County has near complete coverage for 4g, and the border of the 2 counties has it as well, it just seems odd for verizon to skip such a densley populated and wealthy county, when it is already fully saturated in the county just to the west.

jedi

@verizon.net

There was a post on an android website about this.. 6+ months ago. For suffolk county, 4G from verizon ends at 110. The rumor is the towers further east are owned by cablevision, and they haven't worked out terms to push further out. Very upsetting to me, as I currently live just on the border, having 4G where I live and work, but I'm moving in 2 months only 2 miles away, and I'm losing access from home. I mean, I have wi-fi while I'm home, but still, it would be nice to be fully covered.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1
reply to davidhoffman

said by davidhoffman:

Deployment is based on many things. Is the tower owned by Verizon or leased from someone else? How much additional weight and wind loading can the tower take? Does the tower have enough data capability to deal with LTE customers? If not, what do we do about it? Add fiber feeds? Add T-3 feeds, Add T-5 feeds? How is the weather for installation? Do we need an electricity upgrade? How is our manpower for installation? Do we have to bring in some crews from out of the region? Do we need to lease installation equipment? Is it available in the local area? How much do we spread the installation of LTE around the nation vs. let us complete the entire Atlantic coast from Key West, Florida to Calais, Maine? There is money to be made in both types of deployments, but which one gives Verizon the most ROI in the long run?

I am in central Georgia with no LTE. I look at all the deployment in Florida and sometimes wonder why not us? But then, those early adopters of Verizon LTE, have had to suffer several widespread network outages. They have had to deal with some badly designed phones, modems, and mobile hotspots. Better that they work out the problems with their money than I with mine.

You forgot to mention "is the work vans gas tank full or empty? If empty who will fill it and pay for it?"

G Men

@myvzw.com
reply to jpren74

I just now got it over here in western Suffolk!

jpren74

@bellatlantic.com

Where in western suffolk? As stated in earlier posts, it is on the border of nassau and suffolk, looks like it runs pretty much along route 110, but once you get a few miles east of 110 it is not available. Ive been trying to find out when it is going to move east to cover at the very least the towns of Huntington, Babylon, Smithtown and Islip, and maybe even Brookhaven. But as of now it seems to be a big mystery.

Flatline99

@optonline.net

G men is right.. Im on 4g as well and im in bay shore. im not getting anywhere near the speeds i see in westbury (40mbps compared to only 5-10mbps in bay shore) I think theyre just testing it at the moment.. I cant wait until its getting nassau speeds.

Gdan46

@verizon.net

Flatline, do you have Verizon 4g? I'm in islip and I am not getting 4g, however I remember reading that with the iPhones latest software update for at&t that it will now show iPhones as getting 4g for Hspa or something like that, even though that is not technically 4g. If you are on VZ, I'm just wondering how you are getting it, is it possible they can test it on specific customers?

Flatline99

@optonline.net

Yeah im on verizon using a galaxy nexus.. when I got up this morning and checked I was only locking onto 3g maybe it wasnt running properly so they switched it back off. I was only getting around 10mbps down compared to over 30+ past 110 and in westbury.

flatline99

@myvzw.com

Update- im in brentwood at pilgrim psych and im locked onto 4g again.. i hope they have it rolled out and working at full speed real soon.

gbarry

@optonline.net

I just got 4G in Deer Park today. 17Mbps down, 13Mbps up. 3-4 bars and solid all day. Yay!

jpren74

@bellatlantic.com

Just curious where in deer park, im looking at the coverage map, according to the map the coverage seems to end in the vicinity of little east neck road, which i belive deer park is just a bit east of their, unless map is not completely accurate or updated. Its funny because they just announced more expansions in more tiny obscure little towns but still nothing for us in suffolk yet, atleast most of suffolk.

fourGCtrlIsp

@optonline.net

I can also confirm 4g available in Central Islip. I was near the Target/Home Depot/TGI Fridays/Carrabas shopping center.

Speeds were blazing fast. 40down/20up.

ssj4mo

join:2010-04-24
Medford, NY
reply to jpren74

I live in Medford; thats 64 on the LIE or 53 on Sunrise. I JUST started seeing 4G 2 days ago...thought my phone was fucking with me (I go to school at Hofstra in Nassau, so I'm well aware that Nassau's coverage is epic and Suffolk's is [or was] not).

Anyway, I was seeing the 4G on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus, but never more than 2 or 3 bars.
At my house, I did 5 speed tests over 12 hours.
My average ping is ~76,
average DL is 10140 kbps
average UL is 2788 kbps.
So I can pretty much confirm that it's farther east than Islip, just not as fast as central Nassau.

jpren74

@bellatlantic.com

Im actually getting the same as you guys are in islip area, its weird though because it seems it switches back and forth from 3g to 4g, and when its on 4g, the speeds are really slow compared to what they are in nassau though, i havent seen anything above 10mpbs, when i was in westbury over the weekend i was getting over 25 down. I would think that out here there would be even less congestion then in nassau, which would mean faster speeds, unless there just testing it out. Looking at vzw website, it still does not show 4g anywhere near central suffolk yet.

LIuser

join:2004-02-16
Selden, NY
reply to ssj4mo

Hmm. I'm in Selden but don't have any Verizon devices to test here. I want to get a new iPad and have been leaning toward AT&T because of the unlimited plan I have. Sure I'll get LTE when traveling but not at home with AT&T, as a matter of fact my 3G signal sucks where i live. Verizon looks like they've been moving at a really fast clip rolling out LTE.

Maybe I should buy the Verizon iPad. Can anyone comment on signal quality and speeds in the Selden area?

sc32valve

@sunysb.edu

Has there been any additional developments with this?

iLLnuTTy

@cbs.com

I confirmed 4g Signal at the Brookhaven town hall. Also a few blips in Bohemia near Sunrise by Wilson Tech

ripitup

@optonline.net
reply to jpren74

I visited a Verizon Store this week and confirmed that Verizon is currently testing 4G in Suffolk so you should see 4G go up and down from time to time until it goes live. I asked how far out east and they said they've seen coverage as far as West Hampton. I'm hoping it goes all the way out to Montauk but we'll see. If you've been waiting for 4g in Suffolk, it's here!