Omaha, NE

1 edit

ajwees41 to Foxbat121

Premium Member

to Foxbat121

Re: CONFIRMED: TiVo Premiere problem, fix coming "Spring 20

said by Foxbat121:

said by ajwees41:

so why then can a pc tuner pick up the channels while tivo can't if they use the same cable card software? I wonder if cox is just not allowing them on the tivo's?

If it took TiVo this long and doesn't have the fix, I'd suspect TiVo cheapened out on the hardware and didn't put in a H.264 decode chip in the box. While modern PCs can brute force decoding H.264 HD video using CPU power alone, TiVo box may not have such powerful CPU inside.

if the hardware decoder was or is cheap how can a software update fix it? sounds more like the tivo firmware can't pick up the mpeg 4 stream even though there is supposed to be mpeg 4 hardware.

found this An update for the NoVa area.

I just got off the phone with a helpful representative from Cox. I asked about the current issue I'm having with the Plus Package premium channels, i.e. Cox is unable to authorize the channels. He read me an email from his tech lead that stated that this is a known issue on Tivo's end. Apparently Tivo was not as ready for the roll-out of MPEG4 channels as the lead us all to believe--this makes sense given that SilconDust boxes and other retail boxes are receiving these channels already. According to conversations between Tivo and Cox, Tivo will have a patch worked out and sent to Cox for testing by 20 February 2012 (next week). The Cox representative said that once Cox tests that the patch works, they should be able to authorize the channels. The target date for this authorization is 28 February 2012.

hopefully it will be nationwide or ready, so when cox areas go mpeg 4 on the plus package tivo should get them
Azlen
join:2010-05-03
Peoria, AZ

Azlen

Is there an update on this? Did the fix with Cox and Tivo work?

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

Margret Schmidt, VP of User Experience at TiVo, did confirm that TiVo sent Cox a software patch and Cox confirmed the fix worked, and that the fix would be included in a TiVo software update. That update is in customer beta testing, and reportedly does fix the issue.
Azlen
join:2010-05-03
Peoria, AZ

Azlen

Do you know if it's going to be an individual update or included in a larger update? I would think the number of Tivo Premier plus Cox users in markets with MPEG4 has to be pretty small. I wonder if there is a chance of being included in that beta testing.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

I received a call today from "Janice" Tempe Field Team Leader at Cox, That TiVo will be releasing a software update for the MPEG4 issue on March 31st, I hope that info is accurate.

There is also another posting with more details on the TCFs
quote:
Just got a call today from a "Janice" at Cox-PHX advising that they have tested the new software and the Plus channels now can be viewed. She indicated that the software version was 20.2.1.M4-01-2-746 and was advised by Tivo that it would be available on or about March 31st.
»www.tivocommunity.com/ti ··· t9009560

alanhdsl
Premium Member
join:1999-10-09
Phoenix, AZ

alanhdsl

Premium Member

So... I have a TiVo HD and am in Phoenix. I presume the fix is only for the Premire? And that the HD (and original Series 3) won't be able to get the Plus channels.
tim92078
join:2010-07-15
San Marcos, CA

tim92078

The TiVo HD's tuner doesn't have the range. The hardware just can't do it. A software update would not change that, nor are there likely to be more forthcoming.

If i recall correctly, on my Series 3 HD the channels showed up in the grid all the same.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

2 edits

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

Actually the TiVo HD hardware does support 1GHz and MPEG4 (H.264), the question is whether or not TiVo would update the software. My guess is no. But it is worth a few emails to editor @ tivo.com and margret @ tivo.com

TiVo HD hardware specs:

Broadcom - BCM7401 chipset
»www.broadcom.com/product ··· /BCM7401
»pdf1.alldatasheet.com/da ··· 401.html

MicroTune MT2131 - RF Tuners
»www.zoran.com/IMG/pdf/PB ··· 0069.pdf
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

we installed one of the premieres and it's not updated to 20.2.1.M4-01-2-746 yet, but Omaha does not use mpeg 4 yet.

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

said by ajwees41:

we installed one of the premieres and it's not updated to 20.2.1.M4-01-2-746 yet, but Omaha does not use mpeg 4 yet.

SW Version 20.2.1.M4-01-2-746 was a leaked beta trial version prior to the current SW Version and was never intended to be an official public release.

The current SW Version should be 20.2.1.1-01-2-7xx
This current SW version does include a fix for the Cox H.264 Plus Pak.