spc
Search similar:

uniqs
devilsrogue
join:2011-08-20
Elk Grove Village, IL

1 recommendation

devilsrogue

[ipv6] Starting my own broadband network!!

Has anyone seen all the talk about limits on the internet lately in the US here? Time warner wants to limit customers to 5gb and have 1$ for each gb you use over that. Thats just ridiculous and I see all the other companies jumping on this ship as well as another way to milk the consumers for using content on the internet.

I am plotting out a way to build out a high speed, affordable, symmetrical speed network(meaning for instance, you pay for 6mbps you get 6mbps both ways) That wont have crazy stupid limits like all these other guys are imposing so that people can express their creativity or whatever they want.
To me putting limits on broadband puts limits on creativity and productivity because you cant make what you want without worrying about some really non-existent limit.
Don't these companies already have enough money?

Anyways, enough of my rant there! Ive figured out a way to develop a wireless network that will have insane speeds that will eliminate expensive fiber and repair itself if something breaks such as a node. I will soon be looking for anyone with programming skills or network skills that wants to work with me on what may be your next HSI provider.

My main goals are to provide:
A minimum of 6mbps for each household, symmetrical speeds so that you can download something as fast as you can send it(will promote lots of creativity)
Low latency, I know, hard to accomplish right? Wrong! I have a way!
Cheap to implement and upgrade. I want each node to be under 1500 and I have found this to be completely possible with the way I designed them, they are redundant as well and have internal battery backups, and also consume minimal power.

Ipv6 all the way! I want everyone to have a unique address, and Ipv6 allows for that, so the network will be purely ipv6 with ipv4 support if you want it.

Gigabit/Wireless N standard in all homes for the lowest latency possible! No cheap cable modems/Dsl modems!

Network that reroutes all traffic in case of a failure, I have found that this is possible and I'm currently testing a few ways to do this and so far have been successful.

Affordable, pass the savings along to the customers.

The tech is there guys! I have figured out how to apply it to this purpose. The new generation of internet is coming!

Im trying to decide what encryption to use, I want it to have the least amount of overhead while still remaining secure. I take privacy seriously.

What do you guys think? I'm really going for it to better the internet for us all! I don't want or need limits! I know you guys don't either.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

Wily_One

Premium Member

Re: [ipv6] Starting my own broadband network!!

Go on...

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to devilsrogue

MVM

to devilsrogue
said by devilsrogue:

What do you guys think?

I think you will go broke trying.

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

1 recommendation

bdnhsv to devilsrogue

to devilsrogue
What you describe sounds good, and there have been several companies who have tried it but ran out of money and shut down. I wish you well with it, and if you get it off the ground I'd certainly be interested in seeing it in action. As for the encryption that's going to depend on the technologies you're looking to implement.
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

1 recommendation

Aranarth to devilsrogue

to devilsrogue
I would recommend starting as a wisp.

Also while symetrical sounds good on paper, asymetrical is going to help you limit people doing things they should not.

Offering symetrical to business for more money is definitely doable.
devilsrogue
Elk Grove Village, IL

1 recommendation

devilsrogue

Most businesses dont need fast upload but home users do! The reason why is because people need to upload videos and photos and everything is moving to the cloud.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

Wily_One

Premium Member

said by devilsrogue:

Most businesses dont need fast upload but home users do!

Umm...

r2d2
@suddenlink.net

r2d2 to devilsrogue

Anon

to devilsrogue
said by devilsrogue:

Most businesses dont need fast upload but home users do! The reason why is because people need to upload videos and photos and everything is moving to the cloud.

Hmmmm.... someone dont know what they are talking about.
druber
join:2000-04-11
Stow, MA

druber to devilsrogue

to devilsrogue
Either totally clueless or trolling us.
devilsrogue
Elk Grove Village, IL

1 recommendation

devilsrogue

No not trolling...I was busy planning! Im working on a test network right now and I just got a miracle delivered to my house! I was given four super ap 500dr by valuepoint, they are waterproof super heavy duty access points that work off poe. I am testing right now to see how far each goes, but the manufacturer claims 10 miles.
They are only b but hey, on my road the speed will be 20x what the dsl provider gives us.

Im backhauling the service to a pfsense firewall with captive portal and transparent proxy set up. Im going to be connecting it to a 50mbps time warner business class connection.

Wish me luck guys:)
devilsrogue

devilsrogue

and I just think people would be happier with a 4/4 connection for instance than a 10/512 connection because people like uploading to youtube and facebook these days

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to devilsrogue

MVM

to devilsrogue
TWC will let you resell their service?

bdnhsv
Huntsville, AL

1 recommendation

bdnhsv

Not usually if it's delivered via a cable modem. You'd probably have to have a fiber connection and have signed a carrier type agreement with them. I've seen examples of people trying to resell coax based services with some other ISP's before and once they found out what the customer was dong they disabled the modems.
devilsrogue
Elk Grove Village, IL

devilsrogue

Im not reselling, im testing with them lol...I want to offer it for free to the people on my road right now, just to test and get some expertise on wireless networks. Also I would then be highly revered because these people would be able to go beyond 768k/128k
devilsrogue

devilsrogue

They would find out what youtube is! lol.....and go oooohh and ahhhh literally

cablegeek01
join:2003-05-13
USA

1 recommendation

cablegeek01 to graysonf

to graysonf
He should be able to on a business connection (depending on their terms of service). Lots of ISPs use cable modems as backup devices. Note that I said backup device. Fiber is the way to go for your backbone connection.
That being said, if you're serious about this devilsrogue, you need to read up on wireless access controllers and wireless antenna radiation patterns. Also, are your valuepoint radios IPv6 compliant?
devilsrogue
Elk Grove Village, IL

devilsrogue

I don't usually read, I just experiment and see all the outcomes:) I love and love to experiment with things..
I dont know if they are ipv6 compliant but I don't think it matters because my pfsense firewall is handing out the ip addresses

bdnhsv
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

»www.twcbc.com/corporate/ ··· ent.html

Customer agrees not to resell or redistribute (whether for a fee or otherwise) the Service, or any portion thereof, or make any use of the Service other than for Customer’s internal business purposes, unless otherwise agreed in writing by TWC.

You might be ok with just testing, but just be aware.
devilsrogue
Elk Grove Village, IL

devilsrogue

I wish I could find firmware updates for these super ap 500 dr ...The manufacturer wants me to pay them for the updated firmware which is crazy.

They have a board inside with a samsung cpu and two pcmcia wifi cards with amps on them

cablegeek01
USA

cablegeek01 to devilsrogue

to devilsrogue
said by devilsrogue:

I don't usually read, I just experiment and see all the outcomes:) I love and love to experiment with things..
I dont know if they are ipv6 compliant but I don't think it matters because my pfsense firewall is handing out the ip addresses

Dude, you're going to be in for a rude awakening when you run up against the numar32 bug. It could bring your whole operation to a grinding halt.
devilsrogue
Elk Grove Village, IL

devilsrogue

What is that? I looked it up and couldnt find anything...it sounds funny and intresting

cablegeek01
USA

cablegeek01

it's an exploit that allows users to get free wireless internet using OFDM layered with ATDMA.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to devilsrogue

to devilsrogue
said by devilsrogue:

What businesses are you talking about? Most midsize and larger businesses use a ton of upload.