Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AndrewW

join:2009-03-07
Toronto, ON
kudos:1

[Home Phone] Rogers One Number

I would like to know if anyone has any experience with the new Rogers One Number? When I called Rogers customer support they had very little information about the service saying it was like Skype and it was free for the most part. I was directed to the web-page for more info but there's not much there. I was wondering if this service offers SIP addresses and is there anyway to access this service through a SIP client from your phone?

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
You can find the SIP address associated with the one number service however, it is useless as Rogers has done something on their end to disable the service form working from a SIP client.

ummmnoos

@204.45.133.x
reply to AndrewW
They didn't disable a SIP client but they will not give you the password to the SIP login. People have already fixed out the SIP addresses and the logins but the passwords are encrypted.

and the rogers one number website explains what it is pretty good and I've been using it since the beta started and I am impressed.

»www.howardforums.com/showthread.···er-thing

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to AndrewW
I signed up but unsure exactly how it was. It says everything is "free" but "free" as in "free beer" or "free" as in, you get your dinner for "free" but then get the bill.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

randomzero

join:2010-03-25
It's free as in calls made from the client to Canadian numbers aren't routed though the cell network so they are free. Basically, your isp is footing the costs of data for he call rather than rogers, so there's no need for rogers to bill you, unless of course you call us or international calls.
I believe also that calling back to Canada from anywhere is free using the client. Makes sense following the fact that it's footed by the isp, not the cell network.

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
reply to ummmnoos
said by ummmnoos :

They didn't disable a SIP client but they will not give you the password to the SIP login. People have already fixed out the SIP addresses and the logins but the passwords are encrypted.

and the rogers one number website explains what it is pretty good and I've been using it since the beta started and I am impressed.

»www.howardforums.com/showthread.···er-thing

Thanks for the link. It has lots of useful user feedback on Rogers One Number.

As for not being able to access this service through a SIP client, it is a total deal breaker for me. Why o why would I ever give up Google Voice on my phone which does allow me to access its service through a Sip client thus saving me all sorts of carrier minutes?

I understand that Rogers has come forth with this service to thwart Google who is suppose to officially launch in Canada later this year. Google has nothing to fear from this weak effort from Rogers and I for one will not be giving up GV.

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

I signed up but unsure exactly how it was. It says everything is "free" but "free" as in "free beer" or "free" as in, you get your dinner for "free" but then get the bill.

Supposedly its free if you stick to your computer and Canadian calls but they want 10 bucks a month for US calling. Google Voice is a better deal in that it gives you both Canada and the US for free, at least for now, and I love the GV voice mail.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
reply to randomzero
Well, being that Dell can do it for free and magicjack for $20 a year, it's probably low cost.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
I just got off the phone with a Rogers rep who seemed quite knowledgeable about RON.

On the matter of billing, he confirmed that if you stay off the Rogers wireless network and stay within Canada, the service is free.

Rather unexpectedly, he had quite a bit to say on the SIP issue. As the legal eagles know the Rogers' TOS states that “The IP Phone and Telephone Adapter are each referred to herein as a “Rogers One Number Device”, and collectively as the “Rogers One Number Devices”. In order to use the Rogers One Number Devices, you will be required to add the Rogers One Number Phone Add-on to your account for a monthly fee.” The Ip Phone that Rogers is referring to is a rental unit which they are testing right now and will be released shortly. It was delayed because the first brand they tested didn't work. Apparently once this rental unit is released, you will be able to access RON through a SIP client resting on any device you have even if you don't rent the IP Phone. I told him they would have to do this if they wanted to have a competitive product vis-a-vis Google Voice which he claimed they were very aware of.

I then told him that Rogers would also need something like GV mail to be competitive and he indicated that Rogers was working on a product but they were having notification issues and hopefully those would be fixed before the Google launch.

All in all, if Rogers adds free North American calling and number filtering, it will have a competitive product, and if it all works as promised, I would switch from GV.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Very interesting. Clearly rogers understands that everything is way more competitive now, they need to do this to keep customers.
--

arahman56

join:2011-08-11
Etobicoke, ON
reply to AndrewW
Just a note: Calling to Canada and US is free as long as you are in Canada/US.

arahman56

Etobicoke, ON
reply to J E F F
Everything except Internet and Cellphone. There's nothing competitive about raising prices just because the other "competitor" did the same.

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
reply to arahman56
said by arahman56:

Just a note: Calling to Canada and US is free as long as you are in Canada/US.

When did they change this? I asked two agents this very question and was told that I could add US calling for $10 a month by both. Nothing free about that.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to arahman56
said by arahman56:

Everything except Internet and Cellphone. There's nothing competitive about raising prices just because the other "competitor" did the same.

TV too.

If Apple TV becomes reality, or boxee, that might change too. But I don't see Internet and cellular changing anytime soon.
--

arahman56

Etobicoke, ON
reply to AndrewW
Most probably, you need to have money in your account to call anywhere- you can call US?Canada for free, but not if you have no money in your account.

Also, check the rates here: »www.google.com/voice/b/0?pli=1#billing

AndrewW

Toronto, ON
said by arahman56:

Most probably, you need to have money in your account to call anywhere- you can call US?Canada for free, but not if you have no money in your account.

Also, check the rates here: »www.google.com/voice/b/0?pli=1#billing

I think there may be some confusion going on here. Rogers One Number has nothing to do with Google Voice and the $10 a month for US calling is what Rogers is charging its customers who use RON. To setup RON, all you need is a Roger's wireless number and you are good to go. There is no prepaying. Google Voice, Roger's competitor when they officially launch in Canada later this year, is free (until the end of this year at least) for Can/Us calling and has very reasonable rates for international calling. From your Google account it is very easy to add credit to make those international calls. I use it all the time and love it.