how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thayerw

join:2012-02-28
canada

[BC] TELUS forcing D-Link upgrade on clients for network upgrade

Does anyone have any background info on the following?

Out of the blue today, I received a package from Telus containing a brand new Wireless Gateway (D-Link DVA 3810BN) along with a letter from them announcing a mandatory router upgrade to continue service:

February 27, 2012

Switch your modem by March 9, 2012 to continue enjoying TELUS Internet services

Dear Client,

At TELUS we're committed to providing you with the best internet experience and, as part of this commitment, are continually upgrading our networks. On March 9, 2012, we're making another upgrade that will require you to change your modem.

Your new modem is enclosed in this package
Our records show that the modem you're using today is an older model that will not work on the upgraded network. To ensure that you continue enjoying your Internet services, we've provided you with a Dlink modem enclosed in this package. The new modem is free of charge and will not affect your existing TELUS plans, service terms or monthly rates.

Setting up your new modem is easy
The back of this letter contains steps for setting up your new modem. This should take you no more than 10 minutes to complete. If you have any questions or need further assistance during your setup, please call us at 310-TECH (310-8324) and ask for "Internet Technical Support". We're here to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Once your new modem is set up, we encourage you to recycle your older model using the instructions provided at the back of this letter.

We appreciate you taking the time to switch your modem and are working to ensure that the network upgrade is completed as quickly as possible with minimal inconvenience to you. To thank you for your patience, we're adding a $10 goodwill credit to your account.

Sincerely,

The TELUS Team

I have been thoroughly happy with my Thomson SpeedTouch, which I had to request by name after returning the D-Link 3810BN last year. It appears I no longer have a choice in the matter however.

Is anyone aware of a TELUS-provided alternative dedicated modem which would provide the same network compatibility as the D-Link? I already use a dedicated wireless router which I am quite happy with and I have no desire to use the D-Link gateway.

Cheers from Vancouver,

Thayer

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB

Re: [BC] TELUS forcing D-Link upgrade on clients for network upg

Really? They discontinued the Dlink a while ago. This is odd. If you are happy with your Speedtouch and it's working fine, just put the Dlink on the side somewhere and keep running as usual. The Dlink uses the same connection as the Speedtouch. If you were given a VDSL upgrade, you would have needed the Actiontec or Zyxel.

CR123

join:2006-11-04
Vancouver, BC
Could be that they had on record that you had a Siemens SE567 gateway, which won't work after they convert some of the backend stuff (nothing to do with VDSL if that is the case).

But it is odd that they sent the D-Link, that has been discontinued in favour of the Actiontec.
--
- The content of this post is my opinion, and does not reflect the opinions of my employer. -

Symtex

join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC
kudos:21
reply to thayerw
said by thayerw:

Does anyone have any background info on the following?

Out of the blue today, I received a package from Telus containing a brand new Wireless Gateway (D-Link DVA 3810BN) along with a letter from them announcing a mandatory router upgrade to continue service:

February 27, 2012

Switch your modem by March 9, 2012 to continue enjoying TELUS Internet services

Dear Client,

At TELUS we're committed to providing you with the best internet experience and, as part of this commitment, are continually upgrading our networks. On March 9, 2012, we're making another upgrade that will require you to change your modem.

Your new modem is enclosed in this package
Our records show that the modem you're using today is an older model that will not work on the upgraded network. To ensure that you continue enjoying your Internet services, we've provided you with a Dlink modem enclosed in this package. The new modem is free of charge and will not affect your existing TELUS plans, service terms or monthly rates.

Setting up your new modem is easy
The back of this letter contains steps for setting up your new modem. This should take you no more than 10 minutes to complete. If you have any questions or need further assistance during your setup, please call us at 310-TECH (310-8324) and ask for "Internet Technical Support". We're here to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Once your new modem is set up, we encourage you to recycle your older model using the instructions provided at the back of this letter.

We appreciate you taking the time to switch your modem and are working to ensure that the network upgrade is completed as quickly as possible with minimal inconvenience to you. To thank you for your patience, we're adding a $10 goodwill credit to your account.

Sincerely,

The TELUS Team

I have been thoroughly happy with my Thomson SpeedTouch, which I had to request by name after returning the D-Link 3810BN last year. It appears I no longer have a choice in the matter however.

Is anyone aware of a TELUS-provided alternative dedicated modem which would provide the same network compatibility as the D-Link? I already use a dedicated wireless router which I am quite happy with and I have no desire to use the D-Link gateway.

Cheers from Vancouver,

Thayer

Your modem is having some compatibility issue with our Converge Edge network. Trust me, We didn't want to force you to change, Its costing TELUS a significant amount of $$ to notify and upgrade some customers. Siemens customer will also be notify.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

CR123

join:2006-11-04
Vancouver, BC
But is the Thomson an issue with Converged Edge? I didn't think it was.

Symtex

join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC
kudos:21
said by CR123:

But is the Thomson an issue with Converged Edge? I didn't think it was.

I missed read the original post. This customer receive an modem swap by error. There is nothing wrong with the Thomson and can keep using it.

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC
kudos:10
reply to thayerw
TELUS records likely show an old dlink code (300g or even 300i) on your account... that's probably why you received the modem swap.
consider it a backup.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

thayerw

join:2012-02-28
canada
reply to Symtex
Good to know, because I was really dreading having to go back to the D-Link. Thanks to everyone for the info.

Cheers