join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits
reply to brownsl

Re: [Windows] How Do I Know My VPN is Working Properly?

said by brownsl :

Ports 139 and 445 were open. I closed them both and they no longer respond when I telnet to them. Now I cannot access the mapped network drive when the VPN is not connected. However, even when the VPN is connected I still cannot access it.

I also disabled ICMP and the machine now does not respond to ping packets when the VPN is connected or not. I ping the public IP address.

So, does this mean that even though I successfully connect to the VPN I am not actually using it?

The file server and VPN server are the same machine.

Thanks for the help.

The reason that your VPN connection now does not work is probably due to exactly what you meant by "Ports 139 and 445 were open. I closed them both". Exactly what did you do? Also, does the file server have a private as well as a public IP address? Is your file server behind a router, or is it just directly connected to a modem? Are you using a private or a public IP address (both for the file server, and for your workstation) when you try to access your file server from within your VPN session? What kind of VPN are you using?

There are too many unknowns for me to be able to provide an answer at this point.

What you (or your employer) really need to do is to hire an IT consultant to make sure everything is really secure, and properly setup either a VPN or a secure remote access service for you (and any other remote employees who need access) to use. In this particular case, a little bit of knowledge can indeed be a very dangerous thing. I hope that you did not have private customer information on that file server, or valuable proprietary information.

If you really want to try the do it yourself approach, my advice would be to purchase a brand name (Cisco/Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, etc) VPN router (or at least a router with VPN pass through capability if you want to use your server as the VPN server) to put in front of your server (because I get the impression that you have it directly connected to the internet). The router will handle most of the security for you, and once you have it, you can always come back here (or to the appropriate vendor forum on this site) for setup advice.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
exactly what Net said.

all of our servers sit behind our firewall and all the VPN configuration/users are created in the firewall.