spc
uniqs

CyberCam
join:2008-04-21
Whitby, ON

CyberCam to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn

Re: Everything MLPPP

Has anyone tried the latest version of Vyatta's (6.3) MLPPP lately? Does it work? I've searched the forum & read some old posts that were back in 2008/09.

I was using pfSense 2.0.1 but kept having the router crash when using OpenVPN & UPnP with my PS3 so I've had to go back using my old WRT54G router with Tomato!

chpalmer
join:2002-11-18
Belfair, WA
·Astound
·VOIPO

chpalmer

I use 2.0.1 with mlppp and openvpn quite heavily at my office with no issues... Not using UPnP however.... Have you tried a 2.1 snapshot based on freebsd 8.3? Im curious if that might help.

I was going to give Vyatta a try but have not and probably wont at this point.

CyberCam
Whitby, ON

CyberCam

I spoke to a Vyatta rep and he told me that MLPPP is only serial so Vyatta is a no go for Teksavvy, unless you want to mess around the PPPOE config yourself.

I'm going to give 2.0.1 another try in a few weeks when I upgrade my present server hardware and then use my existing server hardware for the new pfSense box, maybe the extra CPU/RAM (64bit) will have better results.

For now I'm back to using the old WRT54G running Tomato/MLPPP for just a little over a week... I'll post my results when I set it up.

Just curious, how do you set yours up... PPP group or VLANS... I was using the PPP group method?

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

I'm using pfsense 2.0.1 (and 2.0 and the betas previously) with 7 lines MLPPP. It's also an OpenVPN client but not much traffic goes over the tunnel.

The only trouble I've had since 2.0 went final is that I have seen one interface completely stop passing traffic (the whole physical interface, including several vlans). The other NIC with its vlans were fine, and I was able to reboot from the console. It's a production system and I wasn't able to find the root of the problem in the limited time I had to investigate before the reboot. Uptime was around 21 days when it happened.

No UPnP in use here though.
quote:
how do you set yours up... PPP group or VLANS...
What do you mean by that? The only way I know to set up mlppp in the pfsense GUI is by going to the PPPs tab, chooseing type PPPoE, then selecting multiple interfaces. Those interfaces can be real or virtual.

CyberCam
Whitby, ON

CyberCam

said by clarknova:

I'm using pfsense 2.0.1 (and 2.0 and the betas previously) with 7 lines MLPPP. It's also an OpenVPN client but not much traffic goes over the tunnel.

The only trouble I've had since 2.0 went final is that I have seen one interface completely stop passing traffic (the whole physical interface, including several vlans). The other NIC with its vlans were fine, and I was able to reboot from the console. It's a production system and I wasn't able to find the root of the problem in the limited time I had to investigate before the reboot. Uptime was around 21 days when it happened.

No UPnP in use here though.

quote:
how do you set yours up... PPP group or VLANS...
What do you mean by that? The only way I know to set up mlppp in the pfsense GUI is by going to the PPPs tab, chooseing type PPPoE, then selecting multiple interfaces. Those interfaces can be real or virtual.

The new (actually an old motherboard with AMD Duron onboard processor) hardware did the trick... pfSense is running perfectly now with no errors.

Never mind about the vlan question, I was reading up the documentation on the wiki and it included vlans as well as ppp instructions for mlppp. I assumed that the vlan method could also be used.

I must say that I find pfSense the best router software solution for Teksavvy MLPPP... and I've tried them all. It's fast & reliable (when your hardware it working correctly), and is much better than the Linksys WRT* tomato/mlppp and the TP-Link WR1043ND openwrt/mlppp solutions.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

I'm glad you got it working.
said by CyberCam:

Never mind about the vlan question, I was reading up the documentation on the wiki and it included vlans as well as ppp instructions for mlppp. I assumed that the vlan method could also be used.

If you're referring to this page: »doc.pfsense.org/index.ph ··· P/MLPPP), I wrote that, so if you find it ambiguous or vague I would appreciate your feedback on how I could improve it.

edit: I think I see what you mean. I will reword it to try to make it clearer how vlans can work with mlppp.

CyberCam
Whitby, ON

CyberCam

said by clarknova:

I'm glad you got it working.

said by CyberCam:

If you're referring to this page: »doc.pfsense.org/index.ph ··· P/MLPPP), I wrote that, so if you find it ambiguous or vague I would appreciate your feedback on how I could improve it.

edit: I think I see what you mean. I will reword it to try to make it clearer how vlans can work with mlppp.

Yes, that's the document that I was referring to, it did confuse me, because I thought vlans could only be used by static connections & vpn's only.

It's a lot clearer now thanks for updating it!