uniqs
share rss forum feed

zo786

join:2012-01-19
Toronto, ON
reply to LuckyLuc

Re: [TV] NextBox 2.0 / Whole Home PVR Install experience

Alright, I seem to be having a new issue with my 8642 box. So
I record shows on the 8642 and it seems to be the shows are not showing up on 'My List' on that box but I can view it on the 4642 that's connected. Every morning for the past two days, the PVR box states there's no recordings available???? WTF??????

zo786

Toronto, ON
reply to LuckyLuc

said by LuckyLuc:

I live in Newmarket and I'm also having some issue with this whole home pvr. Tomorrow, going to have a 3rd in home visit and hopefully will get someone that knows what they are doing. So far, the 2 rep that came to my house didn't look like they have a clue on what they were doing. The last one, I notice that he used a splitter with the filter and connected the 2 cable connected to the Cisco box. I didn't realized what was done till he left. This mean that in the future, if I would of purchased a new HD box, it wouldn't of been able to connect to the other boxes.

I was also talking to technical support yesterday and they mention that the cable modem is also part of the solution. Not sure if that is true or not but if it is, isolating the 2 cable for the Cisco box to the cable modem cable would be a silly thing to do....

From what I understand, the Cable Modem and Rogers Home Phone cannot be on the same network as the connected PVR's. That's why they split the line and sort of create a cable network for the boxes to talk to each other. And the MoCa Filter is what stops the signal from going back out the other way further than your house.

Newmarket_JT

join:2012-03-06
Newmarket, ON
reply to LuckyLuc

Third time was the charm for me. The tech that just left was awesome (Paul O.). He found that the previous techs had not isolated the systems onto 1 network and put the MoCA filter in the wrong place. He explained everything and waited around for everything to reboot to make sure it all worked (1 HD PVR talking to 2 other HD boxes).

Also i happened to be awake at 2am last night and noticed that I got a software update. Since then the IPG seems much faster.

At this point my only nits are:
* Not being able to pause/rewind from any TV but the one with the PVR. Even if it makes perfect sense technically why that would be the case, I still think the advertising on this is misleading.
* Same goes for the claim in the advertising of being able to "Pause a show in one room and continue watching it in another". That only works if you're starting from the PVR system.
And then various things with the IPG/software:
* FAV button not advancing to your next FAV channel.
* Not hiding channels you don't have access to when viewing the guide or advancing channels
* Basic features that used to be there like "Sleep Timer"

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to LazMan

I also got the update last night, quite problematic though. One 4642 got the update just fine. The update on one 4246 and a 8642 resulted in many blank (black screen only) channels after the update was installed and the STBs restarted. The problem went away after an hour on the 4642 but remained on the 8642 until I forced a hard reboot today. The version is still 3.0.0.1519 btw.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to LazMan

OK - as I previously mentioned, my services are now working; but to add insult to injury, I just recieved my Rogers bill, complete with almost $250 in "account charges"

2 installation fees (for one tech visit?!?) @ 49.95
a lost hardware charge of $99 for an SD box I still have?
a $20 early cancellation fee, for services I still have?

I called CS this morning, and the charges were all fixed - but really, Rogers? Everything about this has been a sad joke...

And if anyone from Rogers actually reads and responds to these threads, please let me know... "RogersDarrel" logged on exactly once, and hasn't been back since he posted is messages looking to help...

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan

A letter I just sent off to Roger's Customer Service inbox...

-----------
Good Day,

I'm writing in regards to my experience in trying to get the Nextbox 2.0 whole-home PVR installed and activated...

I know new product launches don't always go smoothly; but this has been a sad joke, to say the least. I can't fault any Rogers employee - to the contrary, every one I've deal with has been good, and several have been exceptional - but the overall experience has still been disappointing.

It began with the ordering process - the woman I spoke with, while helpful, continued to put me on hold, while clarifying parts of the process, and how to navigate the order system; but eventually, the order was in, and an install date set.

The installer was excellent - the physical portion of the work went well, and was done quickly; however, he was easily 2 hours on the phone with his support desk, trying to get the new PVR to take the software update... The answer from the support desk was repeatedly "change the box" - finally, after 3.5 hours on site, the tech was told that the software would be pushed out overnight... Without the new software, the whole home PVR portion wasn't enabled.

The next day, I recieved an automated call, saying the "issue I had reported was resolved" - the software update was indeed completed, but the whole home portion still didn't work - I spent well over an hour being transferred from customer service, to tech support, to tier 2 support, to engineering, back to customer service - all of them unable to enable the software code that was apparently missing from my account, to enable the function. Finally, a tech support manager (name removed) - called, and informed me that he would be working on it, and would be in touch in several days...

The next day, I recieved a voicemail that the PVR extender, which is part of the promotion, was back ordered, and would arrive by courier in serveral weeks. (it showed up this week - well ahead of the 2-3 weeks quoted on the phone).

The following day, I recieved a call from a customer service agency, asking how satisified I was with my Rogers services - I suggested they review my file, that this wasn't the best time to ask me that question...

Finally, I got a call back from (TS manager) advising the service was now active; which I then tested, and it was...

Imagine my surprise this morning, when I opened my Rogers e-bill, and saw almost $250 in charges, related to this... 2 installation charges (there was only ever one tech visit, on the Monday afternoon) - an early cancellation fee, a lost hardware fee? (CSR) in customer service was very helpfull in correcting the charges in error; but still...

I've been satisfied with the Rogers services I've had for years - I work in a technical field myself, and understand new product launches aren't always as smooth as we hope; but at every turn, there's been "something" with this install... It's been frustrating, it's taken my time, and of more concern to you, it's hurt my image of Rogers...

I just thought you should have a customer's perspective...

(name removed)

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to LazMan

You know with the supposed testing they did, you would think that they would have training for the Installers (I don't care if they are contractors, they represent Rogers), the CSR's and all the others involved.

This wreaks of incompetence, and Lazman you should definitely get something in compensation for the inconvenience.

Now watch your next bill, you'll be charged for these new services from the day the tech first showed up,not when it finally begins to work.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

zo786

Toronto, ON
reply to LazMan

Ofcourse the guy hasn't been back, he met his quota for searching social media and forums and posted a response saying contact me and then went offline again.

Gotta love the way Rogers operates.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to LazMan

Wow, what a mess in the billing department. Just curious, did you order a Nextbox package or did you just have Rogers install and activate WHPVR?

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan

I ordered a Nextbox package - I had HD-Digital VIP before, but had an older PVR and HD boxes that needed replaced to support the whole-home system.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to LazMan

I failed to mention that email will be routed to Dev\Null.

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan

Perhaps - but it's building a case...

I sent the email - now, if I don't hear anything back by Tuesday; and I call the office of the President to discuss my experience, I can say I followed the "steps" - and am even MORE dissapointed...

Or, perhaps someone will actually read and respond. Either way, it furthers the cause.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to LazMan

Not an excuse for Rogers but, I'm guess the rep cancelled your current contract when they added the new 2 year contract for the package. Not sure how the lost SD box and the 2nd installation got in though.

The issue is that the CSRs just aren't very sure how to handle the WHPVR stuff. Training does seem to be a bit lacking. I called to order WHPVR (just the filter installation and activation not the package) yesterday and the rep told me that I was her first WHPVR order. Got placed on hold a few times for quite awhile while she got the found out how to get the order placed.

The installation will be in a few hours. Will report back how it goes.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to LazMan

WHPVR install currently running into the 4th hour. The PVR can't seem to get the MoCA link up reliably (intermittent house icon), and one 4642 get's the icon but can't see the PVR (when it was working).

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by decx:

WHPVR install currently running into the 4th hour. The PVR can't seem to get the MoCA link up reliably (intermittent house icon), and one 4642 get's the icon but can't see the PVR (when it was working).

Get your letter ready and wait for your tablet. What a batch of incompetent fools Rogers is.

I do feel for the tech, he's getting the short end of the stick on these installs. I have a gut feeling the $50 install fee is going to up, way up, when the companies contracted to do the work start to balk.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC

Well, no joy. The tech (which was excellent btw) just couldn't get the PVR to connect. Tried basically everything (including swapping the box) over 4.5 hours. Got to see what Rogers is going to do next.

Nope no letter (well we'll see ) and tablet. I just ordered the WHPVR install not the 2yr package.

Anyways, unless Rogers gets their act together their contractors really are going to start complaining about the time needed to complete the install for WHPVR.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to LazMan

Well, after fiddling with the coax network a bit I figured out the problem. The tech installed a drop amp on one of the lines to boost incoming signal, however the location of the amp was between the PVR and the two terminals. It seems the amp does not properly pass the MoCA signal between the input and output sides and acted more like a filter. I'll have to see where the tech coming on Monday will put the amp.

Btw for anyone who already have the WHPVR, are you able to set or delete recordings from the terminal boxes? I can't seem to do that. The only way I could manage recordings is to actually do it from the PVR. However from Rogers WHPVR page they say:

said by Rogers :
With Rogers Whole Home PVR you can ACCESS, PLAY and MANAGE recordings from any networked TV with a NextBox™ HDPVR and NextBox HD terminal in your home.
By "manage" I would assume means setting, deleting, and changing recording settings.

LazMan
Premium
canada

I can delete recorded programs from any terminal; but can only setup or manage recordings from the PVR itself...

Oh, and returned my "lost" SD box today... Store accepted it, but can't reverse the lost-box charge... Have to call back into customer service, apparently...

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to LazMan

Oops, I checked again and I can delete recordings but can't do anything else. Can't imagine why Rogers can't allow the terminals to setup recordings. Even getting remote recording to support the 8642 would help.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

said by decx:

Even getting remote recording to support the 8642 would help.

You sound like an apologist for Rogers You should be able to do everything that the Rogers promotion stated -- the fact that you and others can not is a rel shame and points out Rogers incompetence with this roll out.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC

said by mozerd:

said by decx:

Even getting remote recording to support the 8642 would help.

You sound like an apologist for Rogers You should be able to do everything that the Rogers promotion stated -- the fact that you and others can not is a rel shame and points out Rogers incompetence with this roll out.

Huh? I was just stating that if Rogers had decided to released remote recording support for the 8642 (a feature available on the 8300 for ages) it would have at least allowed another method to manage recordings.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

Can't imagine why Rogers can't allow the terminals to setup recordings. Even getting remote recording to support the 8642 would help.

I left out the part when you state 'Can't imagine why Rogers can't allow the terminals to setup recordings.' that to me sounds somewhat forgiving

There is no reason to imagine anything other than sheer incompetence on THIS Rogers role-out or are you just being Canadian tolerant and forgiving and hoping for the best outcome over time?
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

I can't imagine why you think I'm apologizing for Rogers. It's more of a criticism.

said by decx :
I can't imagine why you think I'm apologizing for Rogers.
Oops, I guess I just apologized for you as well.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to LazMan

See, I wish they would remove the remote delete option. I don't trust Rogers to create a proper user interface that would ensure someone in my house doesn't accidentally delete something I have recorded. While yes, I can lock a program, I shouldn't have to do it for every recording. The better way would be to require a pin to delete anything from anywhere other than the main pvr.

I also don't want them to allow other boxes to schedule recordings on my pvr, as I have multiple recordings sometimes. I don't want someone to record something or worse, cancel something. Again, PIN access would be the best way to control that, but I doubt they will ever have that set-up.

If you're not a large family, these points are moot. However, if you have multiple people accessing the PVR from various rooms, the last thing you want is someone doing something you don't want them to do.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC

said by Viper359:

See, I wish they would remove the remote delete option. I don't trust Rogers to create a proper user interface that would ensure someone in my house doesn't accidentally delete something I have recorded. While yes, I can lock a program, I shouldn't have to do it for every recording. The better way would be to require a pin to delete anything from anywhere other than the main pvr.

I also don't want them to allow other boxes to schedule recordings on my pvr, as I have multiple recordings sometimes. I don't want someone to record something or worse, cancel something. Again, PIN access would be the best way to control that, but I doubt they will ever have that set-up.

If you're not a large family, these points are moot. However, if you have multiple people accessing the PVR from various rooms, the last thing you want is someone doing something you don't want them to do.

I'm in the opposite camp. I want Rogers to hurry up and implement the full suite of management options including record, delete, schedule, etc. Otherwise it's really not a WHPVR, just a regular bland network streamer and if that was what I wanted I wouldn't have bothered with WHPVR. To prevent accidental deletion, the lock option should be enough.

However, it would be beneficial if Roger adds an option to the PVR firmware that would allow the user restrict WHPVR functions. Something along the lines of "turn off WHPVR functions" and "stream recorded content only".

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to LazMan

See, if they add the PIN control function, I would be fine. I am not willing to sit there and lock every recorded program I have. Much like parental control etc, this PIN control should have been implemented right off the bat. Want to delete, enter pin. Want to record, enter PIN. Much like renting PPV etc.

I can just see my wife hitting the roof when someone deletes (cough cough, wasn't me) her daily soap!

zo786

Toronto, ON
reply to decx

this is one of my frustrations with the set up. If i see something on the 4642 worth recording, i have to run downstairs to the other box and schedule it...that needs to be fixed.

technician89

join:2012-03-12
reply to LazMan

Hey guys.

Rogers installer here. And yes, I'm a contractor.

Basically every Rogers technician in the province was given a 3 hour course at a Rogers office on the Whole Home PVR installation techniques and the new IPG. This was deemed to be enough, and honestly if you're competent as a technician it is.

The physical install itself is -or at least should be- fairly simple. Simply isolate the 8642/4642 and place a MoCA filter before the splitter which feeds those boxes. The amp, as someone was wondering, goes before the MoCA, or should.

While some errors are those of the techs (I've only seen one misplaced MoCA...actually there were 4 of them at that address), much of it comes down to issues offsite, at the Rogers end.

Consider it this way. Most installs are broken up into 1 hour time blocks. Same goes for service calls. Obviously the bigger the call, the more time allotted. Installing two digital boxes is considered an hour long call. But with the WHPVR, we're given 3-3.5 hours. That's 2-2.5 hours extra being estimated by our dispatchers due solely to us technicians trying to work out kinks with our technical support. This is generally because of the new IPG/RTN not properly downloading onto the boxes, but obviously there have been other issues as well. Hence why many of you guys are getting automated calls from Rogers, because the technician who installed the WHPVR was forced to obtain a ticket from tech support, indicating that the issue was being dealt with on the Rogers end.

If you guys think it's been frustrating on your end...imagine being a contractor (pieceworker) who is stuck at a call for 3 hours+ and making about 9 bucks. Pretty shitty to say the least.

When the service works, it's awesome. It's like having 2 PVRs and you also get a massive memory increase (160 to 500GB) plus the lucky ones get the extender. Eventually. I've installed about 8 WHPVRs and 2 have worked immediately(ish). The rest I had to obtain a ticket for and hope I don't get repeated.

I don't know whether or not you'll be able to eventually remotely record from the 4642. I actually did so onsite at one customer's successful installs, but tried again at a different site a few days later but no luck. I suppose it might come down to the software on the box itself and if it's the most up to date version, but that's purely speculation from me (not official, haha).

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan

Well, the ongoing bullsh_t with Rogers continues...

I returned the "lost" box on Sunday - to which the store advised they coudln't give a credit, since customer service had declared it lost or stolen... So I have to call into the customer service desk again, to get the credit for it (now that I have a transaction number that shows it being returned)

Also, the email I sent to customer service (and posted here a few days ago...) - well, it was read, and replied to... Which is great... Sadly, the reply was the written equivilent of a shrug. Not even an apology for the headache's I've had...

If Bell was an option here, I'd be on it like white on rice... They may not be better; but they couldn't be worse.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to zo786

said by zo786:

this is one of my frustrations with the set up. If i see something on the 4642 worth recording, i have to run downstairs to the other box and schedule it...that needs to be fixed.

At least running downstairs is a viable option. For me both of the 4642s are attached to Slingboxes so when I'm not home there really isn't an option to setup a recording.