decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to mozerd

Re: [TV] NextBox 2.0 / Whole Home PVR Install experience

said by mozerd:

said by decx:

Even getting remote recording to support the 8642 would help.

You sound like an apologist for Rogers You should be able to do everything that the Rogers promotion stated -- the fact that you and others can not is a rel shame and points out Rogers incompetence with this roll out.

Huh? I was just stating that if Rogers had decided to released remote recording support for the 8642 (a feature available on the 8300 for ages) it would have at least allowed another method to manage recordings.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

Can't imagine why Rogers can't allow the terminals to setup recordings. Even getting remote recording to support the 8642 would help.

I left out the part when you state 'Can't imagine why Rogers can't allow the terminals to setup recordings.' that to me sounds somewhat forgiving

There is no reason to imagine anything other than sheer incompetence on THIS Rogers role-out or are you just being Canadian tolerant and forgiving and hoping for the best outcome over time?
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC

1 edit
I can't imagine why you think I'm apologizing for Rogers. It's more of a criticism.

said by decx :
I can't imagine why you think I'm apologizing for Rogers.
Oops, I guess I just apologized for you as well.

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to LazMan
See, I wish they would remove the remote delete option. I don't trust Rogers to create a proper user interface that would ensure someone in my house doesn't accidentally delete something I have recorded. While yes, I can lock a program, I shouldn't have to do it for every recording. The better way would be to require a pin to delete anything from anywhere other than the main pvr.

I also don't want them to allow other boxes to schedule recordings on my pvr, as I have multiple recordings sometimes. I don't want someone to record something or worse, cancel something. Again, PIN access would be the best way to control that, but I doubt they will ever have that set-up.

If you're not a large family, these points are moot. However, if you have multiple people accessing the PVR from various rooms, the last thing you want is someone doing something you don't want them to do.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
said by Viper359:

See, I wish they would remove the remote delete option. I don't trust Rogers to create a proper user interface that would ensure someone in my house doesn't accidentally delete something I have recorded. While yes, I can lock a program, I shouldn't have to do it for every recording. The better way would be to require a pin to delete anything from anywhere other than the main pvr.

I also don't want them to allow other boxes to schedule recordings on my pvr, as I have multiple recordings sometimes. I don't want someone to record something or worse, cancel something. Again, PIN access would be the best way to control that, but I doubt they will ever have that set-up.

If you're not a large family, these points are moot. However, if you have multiple people accessing the PVR from various rooms, the last thing you want is someone doing something you don't want them to do.

I'm in the opposite camp. I want Rogers to hurry up and implement the full suite of management options including record, delete, schedule, etc. Otherwise it's really not a WHPVR, just a regular bland network streamer and if that was what I wanted I wouldn't have bothered with WHPVR. To prevent accidental deletion, the lock option should be enough.

However, it would be beneficial if Roger adds an option to the PVR firmware that would allow the user restrict WHPVR functions. Something along the lines of "turn off WHPVR functions" and "stream recorded content only".

Viper359
Premium
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to LazMan
See, if they add the PIN control function, I would be fine. I am not willing to sit there and lock every recorded program I have. Much like parental control etc, this PIN control should have been implemented right off the bat. Want to delete, enter pin. Want to record, enter PIN. Much like renting PPV etc.

I can just see my wife hitting the roof when someone deletes (cough cough, wasn't me) her daily soap!

zo786

join:2012-01-19
Toronto, ON
reply to decx
this is one of my frustrations with the set up. If i see something on the 4642 worth recording, i have to run downstairs to the other box and schedule it...that needs to be fixed.

technician89

join:2012-03-12
reply to LazMan
Hey guys.

Rogers installer here. And yes, I'm a contractor.

Basically every Rogers technician in the province was given a 3 hour course at a Rogers office on the Whole Home PVR installation techniques and the new IPG. This was deemed to be enough, and honestly if you're competent as a technician it is.

The physical install itself is -or at least should be- fairly simple. Simply isolate the 8642/4642 and place a MoCA filter before the splitter which feeds those boxes. The amp, as someone was wondering, goes before the MoCA, or should.

While some errors are those of the techs (I've only seen one misplaced MoCA...actually there were 4 of them at that address), much of it comes down to issues offsite, at the Rogers end.

Consider it this way. Most installs are broken up into 1 hour time blocks. Same goes for service calls. Obviously the bigger the call, the more time allotted. Installing two digital boxes is considered an hour long call. But with the WHPVR, we're given 3-3.5 hours. That's 2-2.5 hours extra being estimated by our dispatchers due solely to us technicians trying to work out kinks with our technical support. This is generally because of the new IPG/RTN not properly downloading onto the boxes, but obviously there have been other issues as well. Hence why many of you guys are getting automated calls from Rogers, because the technician who installed the WHPVR was forced to obtain a ticket from tech support, indicating that the issue was being dealt with on the Rogers end.

If you guys think it's been frustrating on your end...imagine being a contractor (pieceworker) who is stuck at a call for 3 hours+ and making about 9 bucks. Pretty shitty to say the least.

When the service works, it's awesome. It's like having 2 PVRs and you also get a massive memory increase (160 to 500GB) plus the lucky ones get the extender. Eventually. I've installed about 8 WHPVRs and 2 have worked immediately(ish). The rest I had to obtain a ticket for and hope I don't get repeated.

I don't know whether or not you'll be able to eventually remotely record from the 4642. I actually did so onsite at one customer's successful installs, but tried again at a different site a few days later but no luck. I suppose it might come down to the software on the box itself and if it's the most up to date version, but that's purely speculation from me (not official, haha).

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to LazMan
Well, the ongoing bullsh_t with Rogers continues...

I returned the "lost" box on Sunday - to which the store advised they coudln't give a credit, since customer service had declared it lost or stolen... So I have to call into the customer service desk again, to get the credit for it (now that I have a transaction number that shows it being returned)

Also, the email I sent to customer service (and posted here a few days ago...) - well, it was read, and replied to... Which is great... Sadly, the reply was the written equivilent of a shrug. Not even an apology for the headache's I've had...

If Bell was an option here, I'd be on it like white on rice... They may not be better; but they couldn't be worse.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to zo786
said by zo786:

this is one of my frustrations with the set up. If i see something on the 4642 worth recording, i have to run downstairs to the other box and schedule it...that needs to be fixed.

At least running downstairs is a viable option. For me both of the 4642s are attached to Slingboxes so when I'm not home there really isn't an option to setup a recording.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to LazMan
So another tech came today to finish the installation of the WHPVR. He confirm that the current drop amps that Rogers are using are not compatible with MoCA and WHPVR but did say Rogers is testing new amps which are compatible.

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

If Bell was an option here, I'd be on it like white on rice... They may not be better; but they couldn't be worse.

Wanna bet?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to LazMan
I hate to say it, but I told you so, they don't care. They got you picked in for a couple years (I assume) .

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan
So, the saga continues...

A second PVR extender showed up at my house today; complete with an email confirmation of the "service change" that included a $169 charge, for said PVR extender.

I'm on nights this week, but next week, I will be losing my shit on Rogers...

And Elwood - I never said Rogers would care about my email - we were just taking bets on if they'd even read it...

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON
reply to LuckyLuc
said by LuckyLuc:

I live in Newmarket and I'm also having some issue with this whole home pvr. Tomorrow, going to have a 3rd in home visit and hopefully will get someone that knows what they are doing. So far, the 2 rep that came to my house didn't look like they have a clue on what they were doing. The last one, I notice that he used a splitter with the filter and connected the 2 cable connected to the Cisco box. I didn't realized what was done till he left. This mean that in the future, if I would of purchased a new HD box, it wouldn't of been able to connect to the other boxes.

I was also talking to technical support yesterday and they mention that the cable modem is also part of the solution. Not sure if that is true or not but if it is, isolating the 2 cable for the Cisco box to the cable modem cable would be a silly thing to do....

The phone reps who took the installation call were supposed to tell you that once you have the whole home pvr service, anytime you want to make changes (i.e. add a box, move your equipment) you need to have a tech come because it requires changing the configuration of the moca filters.
--
Hello

aereolis

Brampton, ON
reply to decx
said by decx:

Oops, I checked again and I can delete recordings but can't do anything else. Can't imagine why Rogers can't allow the terminals to setup recordings. Even getting remote recording to support the 8642 would help.

That feature is upcoming in an update. They just wanted to get the service out in it's current iteration.
--
Hello

zo786

Toronto, ON
You mean the current iteration that doesn't seem to be fully working?

aereolis

Brampton, ON
said by zo786:

You mean the current iteration that doesn't seem to be fully working?

Yes. Unfortunately.

Have you guys also had problems with trying to play videos from your 4642 and receiving error messages stating that there are no resources available or the file was deleted yet they are there?
--
Hello

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

1 edit
reply to LazMan
So what I'm gathering here is The netbox is not ready for prime time and you are all paint paying Robbers to beta test this for them. BTW whT happen to the social marketing rep who wanted to hear how great your "experience " was?

Edited for wrong word, damn auto spell on the tablet.

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to decx
said by decx:

So another tech came today to finish the installation of the WHPVR. He confirm that the current drop amps that Rogers are using are not compatible with MoCA and WHPVR but did say Rogers is testing new amps which are compatible.

As technician89 said above, it has nothing to do with the brand or type of drop amp you have.
The cable should come into your house and be split 2 ways, maybe 3 for phone internet and tv (if you only have tv then this split wouldnt be needed), the tv line would then be amped, and then AFTER the amp the MoCA filter, and then a splitter to all the tv's.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

So what I'm gathering here is The netbox is not ready for prime time and you are all paint Robbers to beta test this for them.

Robbers absolutely not .... Beta test 4sure and what is surprising to me at least is that they are allowed to get away with this type of roll out without any warning of any kind AND on inferior gear too boot.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by mozerd:

said by elwoodblues:

So what I'm gathering here is The netbox is not ready for prime time and you are all paying Robbers to beta test this for them.

Robbers absolutely not .... Beta test 4sure and what is surprising to me at least is that they are allowed to get away with this type of roll out without any warning of any kind AND on inferior gear too boot.

What do you expect when you have a monopoly?
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

zo786

Toronto, ON
reply to aereolis
Yup, happens all the time and don't know what's causing it. I even had a few days last week where I'd record stuff and would have to watch it within a certain time on the PVR because by the next afternoon it was saying it was no longer there when i would go to watch it. Even from the PVR as I'm selecting it from the list, it says it's been delted.

zo786

Toronto, ON
reply to elwoodblues
The social media marketers are nothing more than schills for Rogers. I'm sorry but they offer nothing of support. They just come to post as they search for negative comments about their company out there.

They have no authority, no solutions other than the standard Rogers lines you get when you call in to Customer Service. They don't offer any value and they never take responsiblity for their company effing up constantly.

I don't get this tactic because all it does is infuriate an already irate customer further. Thanks for messaging me your scripted response to a common complaint. How about you offer a solution to the problem.

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

2 edits
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by mozerd:

said by elwoodblues:

So what I'm gathering here is The netbox is not ready for prime time and you are all paying Robbers to beta test this for them.

What do you expect when you have a monopoly? Rogers

FTFY

Look at Bell, Telus, MTS, and Shaws offerings they are all Monopoly/Duopoly's yet they offer better services.
It's simply because they are Rogers, and truly dont care about customer experience.
Rogers has these boxes simply so they can claim they have the same features as bell. They DO NOT CARE if the features work.

said by mozerd:

said by elwoodblues:

So what I'm gathering here is The netbox is not ready for prime time and you are all paint Robbers to beta test this for them.

You should not expect a warning, you are an early adopter, and should expect problems, especially from Rogers.
All the cable tv hardware is crap on Rogers, and I expect nothing more from a company who doesnt care.

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to the cerberus
said by the cerberus:

said by decx:

As technician89 said above, it has nothing to do with the brand or type of drop amp you have.
The cable should come into your house and be split 2 ways, maybe 3 for phone internet and tv (if you only have tv then this split wouldnt be needed), the tv line would then be amped, and then AFTER the amp the MoCA filter, and then a splitter to all the tv's.

That is ideal, unfortunately I know of a few places where Rogers' contractors installed the drop amps on specific branches of the network so it's not an uncommon occurrence. My guess is that it's easier to do that than to rewire the box and install power injectors for the amp. When the second tech came to fix the problem he had to no only rewire the innards of the box but he also replaced the box itself.

BThunderW

join:2010-02-16
Cambridge, ON
reply to LazMan
The whole NextBox 2.0 experience has been a f**ing nightmare. I've signed up for the Diamond Service on March 5th. The Diamond is supposed to come with the 1TB PVR Extender and the Samsung Galaxy tablet. I've signed up for the promo after the services been installed. Within few days the 1TB Extender arrived via UPS and then the web site was updated with "NC0007 Invalid Submission - Services not confirmed as installed ". Really? Because I did get the 1TB PVR Extender. So, I call the Promo Department, get transfered back to Rogers call center, spoke with Rogers rep. She told me that the account wasn't properly updated, she said she fixed it and I should wait 48 hours before resubmitting the request. So I wait the 48 hours, go try to resubmit I get an error that the submission already exists. Call Rogers again, get transferred to Promo Department, rep there says they'll manually resubmit and I should see the updated status on the site right away. I wait 24 hours, the status not changed, I call Rogers again, speak with rep, rep informs me there's no record of a resubmission. She "submits" is again and tells me to wait 10 business days before checking again. So I wait the 10 business days, in the mean time ANOTHER 1TB PVR Extender arrives, no update on the status on web site. Call Rogers Promotions again, they tell me to call Rogers cable. Call Rogers cable, they tell me to wait 4 more weeks and then call Rogers promotions if I haven't heard by then. Are you shi**ing me? This has been an absolute nightmare. I can't believe what a mess Rogers has been with this NextBox. These people have no idea what's going on within their own company. At this point, I'm seriously considering cancelling the NextBox service and asking for a full refund.

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan
I've recieved 3 PVR extender's so far... Every wednesday a new one shows up... LOL

It's been a sh_tshow, alright...

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
said by LazMan:

I've recieved 3 PVR extender's so far... Every wednesday a new one shows up... LOL

It's been a sh_tshow, alright...

You've managed to order the elusive PVR extender subscription. Those shipments are your weekly supply.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to BThunderW
said by BThunderW:

At this point, I'm seriously considering cancelling the NextBox service and asking for a full refund.

Don't forget to submit the mandatory, "we fucked you royally" fee when you do cancel.

Seriously though, I'd make a call to the "Office of the President, this has been going on too far, if you get no satisfaction, there is the CCTS and/or Ellen Roseman.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......