mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to elwoodblues

Re: [TV] NextBox 2.0 / Whole Home PVR Install experience

said by elwoodblues:

So what I'm gathering here is The netbox is not ready for prime time and you are all paint Robbers to beta test this for them.

Robbers absolutely not .... Beta test 4sure and what is surprising to me at least is that they are allowed to get away with this type of roll out without any warning of any kind AND on inferior gear too boot.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by mozerd:

said by elwoodblues:

So what I'm gathering here is The netbox is not ready for prime time and you are all paying Robbers to beta test this for them.

Robbers absolutely not .... Beta test 4sure and what is surprising to me at least is that they are allowed to get away with this type of roll out without any warning of any kind AND on inferior gear too boot.

What do you expect when you have a monopoly?
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

zo786

join:2012-01-19
Toronto, ON
reply to aereolis

Yup, happens all the time and don't know what's causing it. I even had a few days last week where I'd record stuff and would have to watch it within a certain time on the PVR because by the next afternoon it was saying it was no longer there when i would go to watch it. Even from the PVR as I'm selecting it from the list, it says it's been delted.

zo786

join:2012-01-19
Toronto, ON
reply to elwoodblues

The social media marketers are nothing more than schills for Rogers. I'm sorry but they offer nothing of support. They just come to post as they search for negative comments about their company out there.

They have no authority, no solutions other than the standard Rogers lines you get when you call in to Customer Service. They don't offer any value and they never take responsiblity for their company effing up constantly.

I don't get this tactic because all it does is infuriate an already irate customer further. Thanks for messaging me your scripted response to a common complaint. How about you offer a solution to the problem.

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

2 edits
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

said by mozerd:

said by elwoodblues:

So what I'm gathering here is The netbox is not ready for prime time and you are all paying Robbers to beta test this for them.

What do you expect when you have a monopoly? Rogers

FTFY

Look at Bell, Telus, MTS, and Shaws offerings they are all Monopoly/Duopoly's yet they offer better services.
It's simply because they are Rogers, and truly dont care about customer experience.
Rogers has these boxes simply so they can claim they have the same features as bell. They DO NOT CARE if the features work.

said by mozerd:

said by elwoodblues:

So what I'm gathering here is The netbox is not ready for prime time and you are all paint Robbers to beta test this for them.

You should not expect a warning, you are an early adopter, and should expect problems, especially from Rogers.
All the cable tv hardware is crap on Rogers, and I expect nothing more from a company who doesnt care.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to the cerberus

said by the cerberus:

said by decx:

So another tech came today to finish the installation of the WHPVR. He confirm that the current drop amps that Rogers are using are not compatible with MoCA and WHPVR but did say Rogers is testing new amps which are compatible.

As technician89 said above, it has nothing to do with the brand or type of drop amp you have.
The cable should come into your house and be split 2 ways, maybe 3 for phone internet and tv (if you only have tv then this split wouldnt be needed), the tv line would then be amped, and then AFTER the amp the MoCA filter, and then a splitter to all the tv's.

That is ideal, unfortunately I know of a few places where Rogers' contractors installed the drop amps on specific branches of the network so it's not an uncommon occurrence. My guess is that it's easier to do that than to rewire the box and install power injectors for the amp. When the second tech came to fix the problem he had to no only rewire the innards of the box but he also replaced the box itself.

BThunderW

join:2010-02-16
Cambridge, ON
reply to LazMan

The whole NextBox 2.0 experience has been a f**ing nightmare. I've signed up for the Diamond Service on March 5th. The Diamond is supposed to come with the 1TB PVR Extender and the Samsung Galaxy tablet. I've signed up for the promo after the services been installed. Within few days the 1TB Extender arrived via UPS and then the web site was updated with "NC0007 Invalid Submission - Services not confirmed as installed ". Really? Because I did get the 1TB PVR Extender. So, I call the Promo Department, get transfered back to Rogers call center, spoke with Rogers rep. She told me that the account wasn't properly updated, she said she fixed it and I should wait 48 hours before resubmitting the request. So I wait the 48 hours, go try to resubmit I get an error that the submission already exists. Call Rogers again, get transferred to Promo Department, rep there says they'll manually resubmit and I should see the updated status on the site right away. I wait 24 hours, the status not changed, I call Rogers again, speak with rep, rep informs me there's no record of a resubmission. She "submits" is again and tells me to wait 10 business days before checking again. So I wait the 10 business days, in the mean time ANOTHER 1TB PVR Extender arrives, no update on the status on web site. Call Rogers Promotions again, they tell me to call Rogers cable. Call Rogers cable, they tell me to wait 4 more weeks and then call Rogers promotions if I haven't heard by then. Are you shi**ing me? This has been an absolute nightmare. I can't believe what a mess Rogers has been with this NextBox. These people have no idea what's going on within their own company. At this point, I'm seriously considering cancelling the NextBox service and asking for a full refund.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to LazMan

I've recieved 3 PVR extender's so far... Every wednesday a new one shows up... LOL

It's been a sh_tshow, alright...

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC

said by LazMan:

I've recieved 3 PVR extender's so far... Every wednesday a new one shows up... LOL

You've managed to order the elusive PVR extender subscription. Those shipments are your weekly supply.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to BThunderW

said by BThunderW:

At this point, I'm seriously considering cancelling the NextBox service and asking for a full refund.

Don't forget to submit the mandatory, "we fucked you royally" fee when you do cancel.

Seriously though, I'd make a call to the "Office of the President, this has been going on too far, if you get no satisfaction, there is the CCTS and/or Ellen Roseman.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

Why would you ever think another PVR box would magically fix the problem? I'm sorry but after 2 I'd say the hell with it and smash it all to bits.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5orss3fAEU

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan

You misunderstand - I'm getting another PVR -extender- every week... It's a 1TB external hard drive. And yes, got one today; that makes 4 now.

BThunderW

Cambridge, ON

I'm sure they'll eventually catch the problem, and ask you to send 6 back.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by BThunderW:

I'm sure they'll eventually catch the problem, and ask you to send 6 back.

And since he only has 4 , they'll charge him a "Lost equipment we never sent recovery fee".

decx
Premium
Vancouver, BC
reply to LazMan

Any of you with the new IPG/firmware still getting pushed the nightly updates? For some reason my boxes continue to get pushed updates every night at 2am EST. The strange thing is that after so many updates, the firmware version remains the same and are unnecessary.

BThunderW

Cambridge, ON

yeah, almost every night the box is reset.

fred999

join:2012-02-09
Scarborough, ON
reply to BThunderW

"call Rogers again"

They just want to talk to someone who isn't cancelling...

On a more serious note, I've found for every little thing you need to do with Rogers, it takes a minimum of 6 phone calls...

The only company this happens with... and this is a communications company....

BThunderW

Cambridge, ON
reply to LazMan

So, it's now been 6 weeks since the install. Still not approved for the Tablet. Have now called to cancel the whole thing. This is by far the worst experience I've had with them. I'm going to start cancelling a lot of my services. I spend about $700/month with them, see if they'll notice.

Tom

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan

Got a weird issue since the last firmware update here, too...

If I switch from an HD channel (16:9) to a SD one (4:3) - the SD pic will be stretched to fill the screen, rather then "boxed" - and using the zoom button doesn't change a thing... I have to switch channels again, and switch back.

Other then that (knock on wood) - seems like everything's working "ok" now... Still far less then impressed.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by LazMan:

Got a weird issue since the last firmware update here, too...

If I switch from an HD channel (16:9) to a SD one (4:3) - the SD pic will be stretched to fill the screen, rather then "boxed" - and using the zoom button doesn't change a thing... I have to switch channels again, and switch back.

Other then that (knock on wood) - seems like everything's working "ok" now... Still far less then impressed.

They've been upconverting for a while, Netbox or no Netbox. You probably just noticed it.
--

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan

No, maybe I'm not explaining it correctly - it's not upconverting; it's actually stretching the image to fill the screen, rather then maintaining the 4:3 aspect ratio, and the "#" zoom button has no effect (the image stays full-screen, rather then changing as the zoom changes)...

If I flip to another channel, then flip back, the screen goes back to "normal" and the zoom button works again...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by LazMan:

No, maybe I'm not explaining it correctly - it's not upconverting; it's actually stretching the image to fill the screen, rather then maintaining the 4:3 aspect ratio, and the "#" zoom button has no effect (the image stays full-screen, rather then changing as the zoom changes)...

If I flip to another channel, then flip back, the screen goes back to "normal" and the zoom button works again...

That's seriously messed up. I know on the old PVR's that Rogers has taken all the SD channels and "filled the screen" it even messes up the aspect ratio, but I guess they don't care.
--

yyzlhr

@rogers.com

How old are we talking here? I have both an 8300 and an 8642 in my home and neither of them auto stretches SD channels.

LH1949

@rogers.com

You should check your TV's settings. Set your cablebox on a SD channel sending 480 to your TV and make sure the TV is not set on zoom or stretch. Most TVs will remember a different setting for SD and HD and switch automatically.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to yyzlhr

said by yyzlhr :

How old are we talking here? I have both an 8300 and an 8642 in my home and neither of them auto stretches SD channels.

My buddy has an 8300 and it definitely stretches (or up converts) the SD signal.
--

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
reply to LazMan

No Rogers box should force a stretch by default. SD programming should always be letterboxed, unless the user has zoomed or configured it to stretch.

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
reply to elwoodblues

Rogers does not stretch or upconvert SD channels. If the 8300 is set to auto resolution, it will send your TV the native resolution for the channel you're watching. Most TVs will stretch the image if it is sent a 480i signal. You can configure your TV not to stretch the image. If you set the 8300 to a fixed resolution of 720p or 1080i and you tune to an HD channel, you'll notice that SD channels will not be stretched because when the TV receives a 720 or 1080 signal it normally will display it 'dot by dot' by default. Therefore, rogers does not stretch the image on SD stations, it is all done by the TV itself.

the cerberus

Richmond Hill, ON

said by yyzlhr :

Rogers does not stretch or upconvert SD channels. If the 8300 is set to auto resolution, it will send your TV the native resolution for the channel you're watching. Most TVs will stretch the image if it is sent a 480i signal. You can configure your TV not to stretch the image. If you set the 8300 to a fixed resolution of 720p or 1080i and you tune to an HD channel, you'll notice that SD channels will not be stretched because when the TV receives a 720 or 1080 signal it normally will display it 'dot by dot' by default. Therefore, rogers does not stretch the image on SD stations, it is all done by the TV itself.

You are wrong LCD TVs are the worst at scaling, you dont want to do it that way.

upconvert/scaling can be done to 480i and 1080i channels, if the box is set to 720p only in the HDTV wizard, then it will only output 720p.
The box can do stretching by pressing # key as well.
Doing the scaling on the box will get the best picture.

if the box is set to auto it will most likely give 480i picture on SD channels and 1080i on HD channels.
This is bad because the LCD TV will have to scale a 480i image to its native res, and then most default to stretching it fullscreen.
That is what LazMan is problem is, SD channels are not being scaled by the box, and for best picture this is recommended.

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada

You are wrong LCD TVs are the worst at scaling, you dont want to do it that way.

Don't agree with that. When I first got my 8642, I experimented between feeding the SD channels to my TV at 480i, 480p and 720p. I determined that the PQ was slightly better letting my TV handle the scaling. I only decided to run at a fixed output setting of 720p because of the delay changing resolutions.

the cerberus

Richmond Hill, ON

said by JAC70:

Don't agree with that. When I first got my 8642, I experimented between feeding the SD channels to my TV at 480i, 480p and 720p. I determined that the PQ was slightly better letting my TV handle the scaling. I only decided to run at a fixed output setting of 720p because of the delay changing resolutions.

If LCD scaling wasnt bad DVD upscalers wouldnt exist.
LCD/flat panels in general suck at scaling, do some research.