uniqs
share rss forum feed

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to LazMan

Re: [TV] NextBox 2.0 / Whole Home PVR Install experience

No, maybe I'm not explaining it correctly - it's not upconverting; it's actually stretching the image to fill the screen, rather then maintaining the 4:3 aspect ratio, and the "#" zoom button has no effect (the image stays full-screen, rather then changing as the zoom changes)...

If I flip to another channel, then flip back, the screen goes back to "normal" and the zoom button works again...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

said by LazMan:

No, maybe I'm not explaining it correctly - it's not upconverting; it's actually stretching the image to fill the screen, rather then maintaining the 4:3 aspect ratio, and the "#" zoom button has no effect (the image stays full-screen, rather then changing as the zoom changes)...

If I flip to another channel, then flip back, the screen goes back to "normal" and the zoom button works again...

That's seriously messed up. I know on the old PVR's that Rogers has taken all the SD channels and "filled the screen" it even messes up the aspect ratio, but I guess they don't care.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

yyzlhr

@rogers.com

How old are we talking here? I have both an 8300 and an 8642 in my home and neither of them auto stretches SD channels.

LH1949

@rogers.com

You should check your TV's settings. Set your cablebox on a SD channel sending 480 to your TV and make sure the TV is not set on zoom or stretch. Most TVs will remember a different setting for SD and HD and switch automatically.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to yyzlhr

said by yyzlhr :

How old are we talking here? I have both an 8300 and an 8642 in my home and neither of them auto stretches SD channels.

My buddy has an 8300 and it definitely stretches (or up converts) the SD signal.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada
reply to LazMan

No Rogers box should force a stretch by default. SD programming should always be letterboxed, unless the user has zoomed or configured it to stretch.

yyzlhr

@rogers.com
reply to elwoodblues

Rogers does not stretch or upconvert SD channels. If the 8300 is set to auto resolution, it will send your TV the native resolution for the channel you're watching. Most TVs will stretch the image if it is sent a 480i signal. You can configure your TV not to stretch the image. If you set the 8300 to a fixed resolution of 720p or 1080i and you tune to an HD channel, you'll notice that SD channels will not be stretched because when the TV receives a 720 or 1080 signal it normally will display it 'dot by dot' by default. Therefore, rogers does not stretch the image on SD stations, it is all done by the TV itself.

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

said by yyzlhr :

Rogers does not stretch or upconvert SD channels. If the 8300 is set to auto resolution, it will send your TV the native resolution for the channel you're watching. Most TVs will stretch the image if it is sent a 480i signal. You can configure your TV not to stretch the image. If you set the 8300 to a fixed resolution of 720p or 1080i and you tune to an HD channel, you'll notice that SD channels will not be stretched because when the TV receives a 720 or 1080 signal it normally will display it 'dot by dot' by default. Therefore, rogers does not stretch the image on SD stations, it is all done by the TV itself.

You are wrong LCD TVs are the worst at scaling, you dont want to do it that way.

upconvert/scaling can be done to 480i and 1080i channels, if the box is set to 720p only in the HDTV wizard, then it will only output 720p.
The box can do stretching by pressing # key as well.
Doing the scaling on the box will get the best picture.

if the box is set to auto it will most likely give 480i picture on SD channels and 1080i on HD channels.
This is bad because the LCD TV will have to scale a 480i image to its native res, and then most default to stretching it fullscreen.
That is what LazMan is problem is, SD channels are not being scaled by the box, and for best picture this is recommended.

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada

You are wrong LCD TVs are the worst at scaling, you dont want to do it that way.

Don't agree with that. When I first got my 8642, I experimented between feeding the SD channels to my TV at 480i, 480p and 720p. I determined that the PQ was slightly better letting my TV handle the scaling. I only decided to run at a fixed output setting of 720p because of the delay changing resolutions.

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

said by JAC70:

Don't agree with that. When I first got my 8642, I experimented between feeding the SD channels to my TV at 480i, 480p and 720p. I determined that the PQ was slightly better letting my TV handle the scaling. I only decided to run at a fixed output setting of 720p because of the delay changing resolutions.

If LCD scaling wasnt bad DVD upscalers wouldnt exist.
LCD/flat panels in general suck at scaling, do some research.