how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Giuffra316

join:2008-08-28
Scotch Plains, NJ

[VOD] Streampix

Does anyone know what kind of service you need to have to qualify for Streampix?

For example, I am a Triple Play subscriber so I am assuming Streampix is currently included as part of my plan.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3

The Comcast Streampix service is currently being discussed in this thread: »[VOD] Preferred Collection

According to a post there, here is the cost:

Triple Play subs

HD Preferred - $119 (all varieties) $4.99

HD Preferred Plus - $139 (3.0, 4.0, 5.0) Included

HD Premier - $159 (3.0, 4.0, 5.0) Included

HD Complete - $199 (4.0, 5.0) Included

yhp

join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA

said by telcodad:

The Comcast Streampix service is currently being discussed in this thread: »[VOD] Preferred Collection

Triple Play subs

{snip}

Wow. HD Preferred Triple Play and they STILL nickel-and-dime you for Streampix?

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to Giuffra316

Re: [VOD] Streampix - I'm Confused!

I'm confused, which is not unusual.

Streampix showed up in the On Demand/Premium Channels menu on my DVR box. My bill shows I'm subscribed to the Digital Platinum Package and have an additional charge for "Hd/dvr service".

When I select one of the Streampix movies the Guide shows "Free With Subscription," and a $ sign in the top part of the menu item that shows the movie's features - CC, PG, Dolby, etc. The bottom line has only the choice "Buy". No cost for the choice is given, unlike movies selected in VOD that must be paid for. On the other hand, I have not pushed the "Buy" button to see what happens. It appears that the $145.00 Digital Platinum Package with HD service ($16.95) doesn't qualify me for free Streampix but I don't know. A Platinum service is not mentioned in other posts in this forum vis-a-vie Streampix. Can anyone clear up my confusion?

This menu behavior is different from when I use the VOD menu to select a Premium Channel I subscribe to such as HBO. In that case selecting a program choice shows the "Free With Subscription" notation, no $ sign in the program features notation and an eye icon at the bottom of the menu item that allows one to start the program. Apparently Comcast knows that HBO choices are already paid for but maybe not for Streampix

By the way, the movie choices look a lot like the movies shown on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) or Encore. Bullitt, Ghostbusters, Lorenzo's Oil, Ocean's Eleven, Superman/Movie, When Harry met Sally are listed. Some of these have recently been shown on TCM and are quite old.

One more thing: One of the movies available in Streampix is "Das Boot," the 149 minute version. I did a search and it showed up as available for free, apparently in one of the other Premium Channels, probably Encore. Didn't look around for it. This suggests that Streampix may package some of its content from other channels but I'm not sure about that.
--
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

Sherlock Holmes in
The Boscombe Valley Mystery
A. C. Doyle
Strand Magazine, October 1891

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to Giuffra316

Re: [VOD] Streampix

Its to compete with netflix. Its selection will increase as its just been offered but yea the movies are not going to be new runs as netflix isnt new runs.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to yhp

If comcast is nickel and dimeing you at 4.99 what would you consider netflix is doing at 8 dollars?

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

1 recommendation

But I doubt Comcast has anywhere near the selection of NetFlix.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to Streetlight

If you click the Buy button you should get a notice about the price and then you can accept the terms or not. I believe there is a double confirmation screen to subscribe. (I already have it as part of my package).

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium
join:2004-11-12
reply to yhp

said by yhp:

said by telcodad:

Triple Play subs

{snip}

Wow. HD Preferred Triple Play and they STILL nickel-and-dime you for Streampix?

Like Rody said- This is Phase one so to speak. It is cheaper then Netflix and its library will increase over time as there are obviously contracts and deals for content to be hashed out and are always ongoing.

This will, in time, be offered as a standalone service you can bolt on to your Internet Only service or not even be a Comcast Subscriber and purchase Streampix for less then Netflix.

Just more competition for your dollar. If Comcast has Content and can deliver it why would thy NOT want to jump into that untapped Market and compete.

To sum up- No one is nickle and diming you. If you do not want it, do not subscribe to it.
--
CableTechs.org/"Horrible People with Integrity"

Streetlight

Colorado Springs, CO
reply to The Q

The Q,

When I click on the "Buy" button, a menu comes up w/ two choices: "Order" and "Don't Order."

No price is given.

Still don't know whether my choice will cost anything.
--
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

Sherlock Holmes in
The Boscombe Valley Mystery
A. C. Doyle
Strand Magazine, October 1891

The Q

Collegeville, PA

hmm, usually the options I have seen for other on demand premium packages are Don't Order or View Package Information (which would show a price) so something may not be set up correctly on comcast's end which I agree is confusing..

Streetlight

Colorado Springs, CO

I'm guessing Streampix may have been rushed out. It is a choice in the Premium Channels menu and it looks like the Premium Channel menu system wasn't integrated very well into Streampix.

Comcast managers do look at posts here, so I hope they're paying attention and will clean things up.

Expand your moderator at work

The Q

Collegeville, PA
reply to Streetlight

said by Streetlight:

I'm guessing Streampix may have been rushed out. It is a choice in the Premium Channels menu and it looks like the Premium Channel menu system wasn't integrated very well into Streampix.

Comcast managers do look at posts here, so I hope they're paying attention and will clean things up.

Do you see the price option now?

wdsnls

join:2003-06-19
Palm City, FL
reply to Giuffra316

said by Giuffra316:

Does anyone know what kind of service you need to have to qualify for Streampix?

For example, I am a Triple Play subscriber so I am assuming Streampix is currently included as part of my plan.

After reading all the replies to your post, I believe who qualifies for Streampix varies with your area. I have what is call Digital Premier, which includes HBO, SHO, MAX, Starz and Sports Entertainment Package. I do not have HSI or Voice. I always received the Preferred Collection when it became available. When Streampix appeared, I also got confused about the "buy" feature. I called Comcast and was told that Streampix replaced Preferred and I would receive Streampix without charge just as I had received Preferred. The first time I used Streampix, I selected "buy". There was no charge. Since then the "buy" button never showed again.

What I do like about Streampix is the guide is set up to select movies alphabetically. There are buttons #, A, B, etc. I wish they would do this with all the premium channels in VOD.

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
reply to CableTool

said by CableTool:

Like Rody said- This is Phase one so to speak. It is cheaper then Netflix and its library will increase over time as there are obviously contracts and deals for content to be hashed out and are always ongoing.

This will, in time, be offered as a standalone service you can bolt on to your Internet Only service or not even be a Comcast Subscriber and purchase Streampix for less then Netflix.

Just more competition for your dollar. If Comcast has Content and can deliver it why would thy NOT want to jump into that untapped Market and compete.

To sum up- No one is nickle and diming you. If you do not want it, do not subscribe to it.

No way will Comcast ever set this up as a service for people who don't subscribe to a Comcast tv package. Just like you can't get HBOGO unless you already have HBO as part of a cable package. And even if it was made available to internet-only subs, it will never be made available to people outside of Comcast's "walled garden" to compete with other services. That would let the cat out of the bag. For example, Verizion could have an excuse to have their Redbox partnership compete over the Comcast or Charter networks. The big boys don't want real competion.

This is just like what Dish Network did with Blockbuster. Using it as a bonus for current subscribers to help prevent churn or have people lower their packages and then add Netflix. Notice it isn't free in the lower packages.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3

Well, now that they have Streampix, Netflix won't be offered on Comcast:

Comcast won't offer Netflix to Xfinity TV subscribers
FierceCable - March 7, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/story/comcas···12-03-07

"While Reuters reported Wednesday that Netflix is pitching cable operators the idea of bundling access to its online video service in cable subscriptions, Comcast says it isn't interested in teaming up with the online video rival.

"We have no plans to offer access to Netflix to our customers through our Xfinity TV service, no matter what device," Comcast spokeswoman Alana Davis told FierceCable when asked if the MSO would be interested in offering Netflix to subscribers that use a TiVo DVR."

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
reply to Giuffra316

I just had a discussion with a Comcast Representative regarding this information on the Streampix webpage:

How do I know if XFINITY Streampix is included in my package?

XFINITY Streampix is included at no additional charge in the following packages. Check your current bill (also available for viewing online) if you’re not certain of your package name.

Triple Plays:

HD Preferred Plus XF Triple Play
HD Premier XF Triple Play
HD Complete XF Triple Play
MultiLatino Ultra HD Plus Triple Play
MultiLatino HD Total Triple Play
MultiLatino HD Complete Triple Play
Alchemy HD Preferred Plus Triple Play
Alchemy HD Premier Triple Play
Alchemy MultiLatino Ultra HD Plus Triple Play
HD Preferred Plus – Tenant Triple Play
HD Premier – Tenant Triple Play
HD complete – Tenant Triple Play

Video / Internet Packages:

Blast! Extra
Blast! Plus
Performance Extra

Additionally, upon the XFINITY Streampix introduction on February 23, 2012, Comcast customers with qualifying packages received:

An email announcing the new service (check your email at Comcast.net).
An alert in the My Account section of Comcast.com (sign in using your Comcast ID and password). New alerts appear on the main page.

You can also visit the XFINITY Streampix folder in the XFINITY On Demand > Premium Channels menu on your television. If you are in a qualifying package, you will be able to access and play content automatically – there is no set-up on your part.

The bottom line is that Streampix is available to those subscribing to the above packages. Customers must have triple play meaning that they must subscribe to telephone service through Comcast as well as Internet and Television service. Apparently if one subscribes to Comcast Cable TV and one of the above levels of internet service they also have access to Streampix at no additional charge.

CableTool
Premium
reply to mogamer

said by mogamer:

said by CableTool:

No way will Comcast ever set this up as a service for people who don't subscribe to a Comcast tv package.

Um.. o.k. but that is the business model on the table. I get what you are saying but this isnt a "guess". Its what they are doing.
--

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

said by CableTool:

said by mogamer:

said by CableTool:

No way will Comcast ever set this up as a service for people who don't subscribe to a Comcast tv package.

Um.. o.k. but that is the business model on the table. I get what you are saying but this isnt a "guess". Its what they are doing.

Is this service currently available for people who only get Comcast internet service? Looking at what's going on in the industry regarding "tv anywhere" streaming, I'm not the one doing the guessing.

CableTool
Premium

said by mogamer:

Is this service currently available for people who only get Comcast internet service? Looking at what's going on in the industry regarding "tv anywhere" streaming, I'm not the one doing the guessing.

There are multiple phases to this product in regards to roll out. The future phases, which include offering to non-subs, are the final roll out.
Again, Im not guessing or assuming. This is what the deal is.
--

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to mogamer

You MUST have video service to get Streampix.

wdsnls

join:2003-06-19
Palm City, FL
reply to wdsnls

said by wdsnls:

said by Giuffra316:

After reading all the replies to your post, I believe who qualifies for Streampix varies with your area. I have what is call Digital Premier, which includes HBO, SHO, MAX, Starz and Sports Entertainment Package. I do not have HSI or Voice. I always received the Preferred Collection when it became available. When Streampix appeared, I also got confused about the "buy" feature. I called Comcast and was told that Streampix replaced Preferred and I would receive Streampix without charge just as I had received Preferred. The first time I used Streampix, I selected "buy". There was no charge. Since then the "buy" button never showed again.

What I do like about Streampix is the guide is set up to select movies alphabetically. There are buttons #, A, B, etc. I wish they would do this with all the premium channels in VOD.

CORRECTION: I received my bill today and found out I was given wrong information from Comast regarding not being charged for Streampix. I was billed $4.99 plus a pro-rated charge for last month. I called and explained this and was given a full credit. At that point I was totally satisfied but then was told I would be charged $1.99 for a downgrade of service! After a short discussion it was agreed that I would also be given a credit for the $1.99 charge, "this time but never again".

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1

A stealth price increase. The buy button on streampix should read: Subscriber approves gouging. It should be called the buy forever button since unlike the buy button on a pay per view movie, which is for that movie only, it adds the service to the customers account forever. Unfortunately I have a home security system that cannot communicate reliably with the monitoring station, using Comcast Digital Voice because of problems with the security panel communicating with the monitoring station therefore Digital Voice is out of the question.

It is time for all subscribers to Comcast Premier service to complain to corporate headquarters and ask why Streampix is not included in the Premier Package. $40.05 is enough to pay to receive all of the premium channels without being expected to pay another $4.99 for Streampix which was previously included in the premier package under the name Preferred Collection.