All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Shad0w99

join:2012-02-29

[Speed] Comcast Economy Plus or Performance Starter for Gaming?

Hi there,

I'm thinking of either getting comcast economy plus or performance starter plan through comcast.

Economy plus = downloads up to 3 Mbps and uploads up to 768 Kbps.

Performance starter = download speeds up to 6 Mbps and upload speeds up to 1 Mbps.

I watch a lot of streaming videos and play multiplayer games. Would the economy plus be enough or should I get something better than performance starter even? like say their 20mbps plan?

Economy plus = $39.99 ( 3 mbps )
Performance starter = $49.99 ( 6mbps )
Performance = $62.95 ( 20mbps )

What plan seems like a good value for the money?

Thank you

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

Re: [Speed] Comcast Economy Plus or Performance Starter for Gami

In theory the starter tier should handle most HD streaming fine and if you are just watching on your monitor even less than 1080P will work.
I'd lean towards the full performance tier if there are other users or you multi-task.
Only you can decide what you can afford, but you should look in to HSI + basic TV promos as sometimes the price is less and installation maybe free...you can downgrade later on.
If minimum price is very important start with the lowest tier and see if it works, once an account is setup, upgrading to faster speeds can easily be done on the phone or online (usually instant, in a few cases it takes a day)

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
kudos:1
reply to Shad0w99
Gaming doesn't require a lot of bandwidth so for that even Economy Plus would be enough, but if you're going to throw streaming video in the mix I'd recommend Performance Starter at least.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Shad0w99
Given the 'up to', I wonder if those are speeds with Powerboost? The continuous speed could be half that.

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
said by andyross:

Given the 'up to', I wonder if those are speeds with Powerboost? The continuous speed could be half that.

Performance is for surely 15/2 or 12/2, so on performance anything above that is with powerboost. The two tiers below that don't have PB.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:17
reply to andyross
From the Xfinity Internet page (»www.comcast.com/Corporate/Learn/ ··· net.html), it appears that PowerBoost is only provided for the "Performance" and higher tiers. The speeds for the "Economy" (1.5Mbps) and "Performance Starter" (6Mbps) are the continuous ones. It doesn't show an "Economy Plus" (3Mbps) tier, but that would most likely not have PowerBoost either.

However, on the PowerBoost page (»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su ··· erboost/), it does say that "A PowerBoost burst will normally last as long as the 10MB of a file download on XFINITY's 6Mbps Internet service, and as long as the 5MB of a file upload.

Though that "6Mbps Internet service" might be referring to the old DOCSIS 2.0 "Performance" tier, as shown on this August 2011 ComcastVoices blog entry on PowerBoost: »blog.comcast.com/2011/08/powerbo ··· ers.html

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
It'd be nice if Comcast could come clean on the speeds and CLEARLY state if speeds are continuous or PowerBoost. It's very confusing when even the same tier lists different speeds depending on how you list it.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:17
I found this DSLReports news item from a year ago: »Comcast Shaking Up Speed Tiers (Again)
I think it still applies today. The speeds listed appear to be the continuous, non-PowerBoost ones.

"... Comcast is once again shifting their speeds around somewhat in DOCSIS 3.0 upgraded markets, all of which will eventually have these choices if they don't already:

Economy - 1.5 Mbps downstream, 384 kbps upstream
Economy Plus - 3 Mbps downstream, 768kbps upstream
Performance Starter - 6 Mbps downstream, 1 Mbps upstream
Performance - 15 Mbps downstream, 2 Mbps upstream
Blast - 25 Mbps downstream, 4 Mbps upstream
Extreme - 50 Mbps downstream, 10 Mbps upstream
Extreme 105 - 105 Mbps downstream, 20 Mbps upstream

Documents provided to Broadband Reports suggest Economy Plus is only a retention tier for users who call in complaining of high prices, and may not be available in all markets."

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Shad0w99
Click for full size
Not nessesarrily current.

just this month the localized page for me changed to
show performance at 'up to 20/4'
the comcast speedtests show me boosting at 25/3.75
»stage.results.speedtest.comcast. ··· 6812.png
and shaperprobe agrees with that for PB with 20/2-3 as the shape rate.

Blast lists as 30/6

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to Shad0w99
Even with Powerboost, I rarely get more than 1.5Mbps on upload, even though I have the 12/2 service. Download on most speed tests will be in the 15-17Mbps range, though. Testing with larger files (to negate the effects of Powerboost) show me getting about 8Mbps download and .850Mbps upload.

Calls to Comcast about it go nowhere, they just blame my modem (which they have done ever since I purchased it). My modem is fine.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1