spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Acoustic5679
@phelpsd.com

Acoustic5679

Anon

IP TVs capability?

I was going through a few forums trying to get more info on Ethernet capable TVs. Does anyone know the extent of the capability for TVs that have Ethernet jacks? Can they access file servers on a network they are assigned to? What I wanted to do is implement these in conference rooms and have the capability to display laptop screen (RDP or similar) on the TV wirelessly. I looked into Wi-Fi Direct, but it seems like that is limited to just the TV searching for media files on a Wi-Fi direct capable device and displaying them. I was hoping since the TV has an Ethernet port I could assign it an IP address on my network and access content through our servers. Does anyone have any knowlege on this?
hardware bum
join:2004-01-26
State College, PA

hardware bum

I think capabilities are very model/brand specific. For instance I have experience with an older Samsung and a newer Visio. The Samsung can't do much of anything through the ethernet port. The Visio can only run Yahoo apps, see connectedtv.yahoo.com

I think it's a fluid situation and very much dependent on the manufacturers firmware and the features they've decided to implement.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to Acoustic5679

Premium Member

to Acoustic5679
The TV (some have wifi options as well either built in or through a USB dongle) will have an IP on your network, it would have to. But most can't be used to push a desktop onto VNC style. Most only have apps such as streaming radio/TV (think Pandora, Netflix) and facebook. Others have DLNA capabilities that will let you stream video/audio to the TV so could be used for some presentations and such if it were packaged into a free-flowing movie file (AVI, MKV for example) but that's about it. Someone may come up with a way to use DLNA to do what you want but I've not seen it personally.