telcodad to mikedz4

MVM

to mikedz4

Re: [DVR] Spectrum Quad Tuner DVR revealed

Latest news on Comcast's "X1" service on the FierceCable site:

Comcast Cable CEO Smit offers sneak peek at X1 service
FierceCable - February 29, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 12-02-29

"Comcast Cable Communication CEO Neil Smit offered attendees at a Deutsche Bank investor conference in New York a sneak peak of the company's X1 digital video service Wednesday morning, including images from a program guide that will offer subscribers personalized TV recommendations.
:
Comcast has been testing X1 in Augusta, Ga., and plans to launch it in several markets this year. Based on Smit's remarks, the MSO also may be testing X1 in employee homes near its headquarters in Philadelphia."

Slides from Smit's presentation (PDF): »files.shareholder.com/do ··· tion.pdf

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

Latest news on Comcast's "X1" service on the FierceCable site:

Comcast Cable CEO Smit offers sneak peek at X1 service
FierceCable - February 29, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 12-02-29

"Comcast Cable Communication CEO Neil Smit offered attendees at a Deutsche Bank investor conference in New York a sneak peak of the company's X1 digital video service Wednesday morning, including images from a program guide that will offer subscribers personalized TV recommendations.
:
Comcast has been testing X1 in Augusta, Ga., and plans to launch it in several markets this year. Based on Smit's remarks, the MSO also may be testing X1 in employee homes near its headquarters in Philadelphia."

Slides from Smit's presentation (PDF): »files.shareholder.com/do ··· tion.pdf

"may be testing X1 in employee homes near its headquarters in Philadelphia"

I hope this means that Philadelphia may be one of the first city's to get the new guide and box

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

yeah I've all but given up hope of comcast doing anything to my area anytime soon

ricon
@comcast.net

ricon

Anon

Denver will get it in June

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by chadb97:

Will the guide that comes with this spectrum box be rolled out to the motorola boxes in the field, or will the new hd guide only be on the spectrum box?

said by cypherstream:

I think initially this needs the Intel CE3100/4100 series processor, which will be in the Spectrum box (manufactured by Pace).

Though the Broadcom BCM7400 series CPU does support HD graphics, as I believe at least one of my DirecTV boxes uses this CPU and I have an HD-GUI. Also the newer Motorola Verizon Fios set tops use this CPU and IMG 1.9 has a 16:9 HD GUI.

An article today about Intel launching the CE5300 SoC, which "more than doubles the [central processing unit] performance" of the CE4200 that is used in the Pace set-top for Xfinity's X1 service:

Intel Plucks 'Berryville' Chip For Set-Tops, Gateways
Silicon Supplier Aims at Broadcom With New 32-Nanometer CE5300 Processor
Multichannel News - March 19, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/art ··· ways.php

"Intel, claiming to leapfrog the performance of chips currently shipping from Broadcom, is launching its fourth-generation system-on-chip for set-tops and media gateways that provides rich graphics comparable to a PlayStation3.

The Intel Atom CE5300, previously code-named "Berryville," is the chip maker's first 32-nanometer SoC, featuring a dual core with hyperthreading and virtualization, an advanced 3D/2D graphics engine, integrated power management, and an H.264 hardware encoder.

Keith Wehmeyer, general manager for Intel's set-top box platforms group, says the Berryville processor -- which is available in quantity today -- delivers 30% to 40% better performance compared with Broadcom's most recently announced SoC solutions.

"We've more than doubled the [central processing unit] performance with the CE5300," he said. "Today's set-top boxes are probably the most underperforming devices in the home."

Initial testing by Intel indicates the chip delivers performance comparable to a PlayStation3 game console, Wehmeyer added.
:
Operators including Comcast, France's Free, Liberty Global's UPC, Numericable and Telecom Italia have announced or launched products on Intel silicon. Comcast, for example, is gearing up for a launch in 2012 of the Xfinity X1 service, which uses a Pace set-top with Intel's CE4200 processor (known as "Groveland").

The more powerful CE5300 enables new applications, such as gesture controls, high-performance gaming, two-way videoconferencing and "sync-and-go" video transcoding for viewing on tablets or other mobile devices.

Intel's forthcoming Puma 6 chip, which provides DOCSIS 3.0 support for up to 1 Gigabit per second of bandwidth and up to six MPEG tuners, will be sampling later this year. The Puma 6, combined with the CE5300, is aimed at "headed" gateway solutions. Intel acquired the Puma line of DOCSIS silicon from Texas Instruments in 2010."

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to ricon

to ricon
maybe comcast will make me eat crow. Probably around the time I get ready to install directv at my apartment comcast will launch this service here.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Also an article about the new CE5300 chip on the Light Reading Cable site:

Intel's New Set-Top Chip Packs More Punch
Light Reading Cable - March 19, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· r_cable&

"Formally named the CE5300, the chipset is Intel's first media processor built on 32nm technology (its earlier CE4100/Sodaville and CE4200/Groveland processors used 45nm) and a dual-core processor, allowing Intel to more than double performance and beef up a 2-D/3-D graphics engine that can support some advanced gaming and videoconferencing applications.
:
A feature called hyperthreading lets the 5300 support four simultaneous sequences/programs, Wehmeyer says. An H.264 B-picture hardware encoder allows the gateway to stream video to other devices on the home network, such as a tablet or another TV, at a lower bit rate without affecting video quality.

On the cable front, Intel initially plans to integrate the CE5300 with the Puma 5, a Docsis 3.0 chipset acquired from Texas Instruments Inc.

Wehmeyer says the 5300 is ready for high-volume manufacturing. Intel is demonstrating the chipset at this week's IP&TV World Forum in London."

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to telcodad

MVM

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

"Today's set-top boxes are probably the most underperforming devices in the home"

FINALLY someone gets it! I've only been saying this for years.

Now let's see this landscape change before I smudge my puma.
ComcastTech
join:2008-05-31

ComcastTech

Hey you watch your mouth! lol. Actually the new RNG200's that I have aren't that slow.
said by cypherstream:

said by telcodad:

"Today's set-top boxes are probably the most underperforming devices in the home"

FINALLY someone gets it! I've only been saying this for years.

Now let's see this landscape change before I smudge my puma.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to cypherstream

MVM

to cypherstream
Here is a blog item from the Multichannel News site explaining Comcast's "Reference Development Kit" (RDK) methodology for developing chips for new TV services like "X1":

A New Path to Moving Faster: Comcast’s ‘RDK’
By Leslie Ellis, Technology Analyst
Multichannel News - March 26, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/blo ··· RDK_.php
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

Just received this schedule for the X1 (Xcalibur platform) roll-out from someone that's supposed to be involved with the project (not sure how reliable this might be, though):

Greater Boston area on May 1 (RNG-150 on June 30)
Atlanta and Chattanooga on July 31
Denver on August 15
Beltway and Freedom Region areas on September 11

We'll have to see if these dates actually do hold up, or will be slipped as usual.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

any news on pennsylvania like central and western?
Keystone is the region.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

said by mikedz4:

any news on pennsylvania like central and western?
Keystone is the region.

No, sorry mikedz4, that's all the info I got so far.
aguiar0016
join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA

aguiar0016 to telcodad

to telcodad
Goes live 5-30-12 for Greater Boston.

Motorola areas only.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Aguiar / Telco-
Great work on the dates. If you ever are given an update on that September timeframe for the Freedom (Philly) region, let me know.

As soon as that hits, Comcast has a new TP subscriber. Heck, i'm even signing up for the home security product.