join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

[seeking] Domain Name Registration

So I'm looking to register an additional domain name, and have narrowed it down to either 1&1 or Namecheap as the registrar provider.

I did have a couple questions though; in the spirit of keeping things cheap, I want to use either a .co domain or .org.uk. Would there be a problem using either in the US? Second, how reputable is Namecheap?

Other registrar suggestions are welcome as well.

MTB

join:2007-06-29
Newport Beach, CA

RegiSTAR or ENOM all the way no BS, extra charges or hidden agenda.

luma
Premium
join:2004-08-17
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to sk1939

go with Namecheap.

1&1 has a lot of complaints out there.

Namecheap is easy as it gets, good website, easy to check out/pay for domain without having to remove extra crap and they normally give you whoisguard for free if you want it.

You can also find coupons (1$ off transfers and new domains is easy to find)

I have ~30 domains with them, moved them all from Godaddy over the last few years.

coupons: SWITCH2NC when transferring a domain
DOMAININ for new domains (amount varies by TLD)

Luma

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

So I went with Namecheap in the end and wound up with a domain, email, SSL cert, and Whoisguard. The question then becomes, is it easier to host a site yourself using Dynamic DNS, or use something relatively cheap like 000Webhost or even Namecheaps hosting?

William
Premium
join:2010-04-18
Washougal, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Canvas Dreams

000Webhost is sloppy, but that is free for you. And I used it for few days only. Been quite awhile though.

Never used Namecheap hosting, some say get hosting some place else other than where you purchase domain, but recently I do both domains and hosting same place.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

Are they? That's what I figured. Any reccomendations for an inexpensive ($5/mo) host provider? Or would I be better off hosting it myself (already do DNS and Exchange).

William
Premium
join:2010-04-18
Washougal, WA
reply to sk1939

I don't know of any providers for that pricing amount. Perhaps host your own and later go with hosting provider.

Sorry, my post may not help any. I gave up looking for hosts after using current one, the one under reviews left side.

luma
Premium
join:2004-08-17
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to sk1939

I have not used namecheap for hosting, only for domain names and SSL certs.

A lot of people here use(d) surpasshosting for shared hosting, they used to be awesome but lately I have encountered many problems and support sucks (first level anyways)

Many people use Hostgator instead and have good things to say about them.

You can host it yourself with dyndns but with hosting prices the way they are I don't bother.

Since you sound technical enough another options is to purchase a "Low end Box" virtual private server and just do it yourself. You can get those cheap and several companies are rock solid (SecureDragon, Hostigation, BuyVM)

Tons of reviews here:
»www.lowendbox.com/

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

Hmm.

Well Namecheap has stated that with my domain they provide Dyn DNS for free, so I may just do that then.

VPS from Secure Dragon looks promising as well, the only question there is OpenVZ VPS vs Xen PV VPS.

stray

join:2000-01-16
Warren, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to sk1939

You don't say what you're using the hosting for, so it's hard to make much of a recommendation. Some factors to think about:

If you'd just like plug-n-play hosting with a full cPanel, I'd go with Hostgator. I've used a number of shared hosting companies, including 1and1 and Hostgator, and Hostgator is far superior.

On the low-end VPS side of things, you're rolling your own system and possibly a control panel. Be aware that Xen can not be oversold; the resources are dedicated to your account, and Xen supports swap space. Each Xen instance has it's own kernel, so you can customize the kernel.

OpenVZ is often oversold, especially on cheapo accounts. The shared kernel does make it more efficient. OpenVZ doesn't support Windows, if that's your interest. Because of the shared kernel it's slightly less secure; also OpenVZ is easier for the ISP to setup, i.e. inexperienced sysadmins will launch their own hosting company based on OpenVZ...another area of concern.

For low end OpenVZ I've used Burst.net, and recently URPad.com. IMO Burst.net gets a bad rep because their users don't understand that when an OpenVZ instance runs out of memory (perhaps due to a spike in usage or other unusual processes), OpenVZ just starts killing processes until there's memory available. Usually that means that your site goes down without warning. At the prices Burst and the other low end providers charge, tech support doesn't deal with your memory issues; in their mind you're just trying to stuff 10 lbs. of sh*t into a 5 lb. bag. Both Burst and URPad have been pretty reliable for me, but I've had to stay on top of my installs...can't just set 'em up and leave 'em.

In contrast to the low end OpenVZs, I also have a Xen instance at Linode (much more expensive). This takes much less management at my end (and probably more at Linode's end.) Faster, more reliable, more hands on support, 8x the price.

To summarize: shared hosting gives you ease of use, a full cPanel, and a lot of built in features; all provided your hosting needs aren't too resource intensive (ignore everyone's "unlimited" claims...if you beat the system to death, you'll get warned/suspended.)

Cheapo OpenVZ systems are great if you're into rolling your own hosting and maintaining it. If you want to stay in the $5-$10/mo. range, no cPanel for you. At best you're looking at VirtualMin, Kloxo, or ISPConfig3 (all free), but these all eat significant memory. I personally use TuxLite to setup OpenVZ systems and TuxLite's command line scripts to manage virtual domains.

Cheapo Xen systems give you far less memory for the buck than cheapo OpenVZ, but you can run custom kernels and Windows (with enough memory.) Can be a good learning experience when getting ready for the big-boys, like Linode.

Anyway, tell us what you want to do with your host, and I'm sure you'll get more specific recommendations.
--
V-Rtifacts - When Virtual Reality Was More Than Virtual

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

Hosting a single website, database, and Exchange mostly. It's not a complicated setup.

What is Hostgator like cost-wise?

OpenVZ is out then since I'll most likely be running a Windows environment.

Well the price I got from SecureDragon was $35/year for a basic Xen VPS.

I have the hardware to do it, I just don't have the budget to spring for a dedicated server in a CoLo, and static IP's are expensive still.

stray

join:2000-01-16
Warren, NJ
reply to sk1939

Don't know about your budget, but Exchange will probably be a deal killer for a VPS, as it requires a minimum of 2gb RAM, not to mention the $699 Exchange license.

Hostgator has shared Windows servers, but no Exchange. I see that LunarPages offers a basic Exchange server for $3.95/mo./user on top of their shared hosting cost (inexpensive.) Never tried LunarPages myself.

SecureDragon's $35/yr. Xen is 128mb RAM, not in the league for Exchange (and they don't have Windows VPS offerings anyway.)

Typically Exchange hosting is priced per user, running from about $4-$15/mo./user.

You may be back to self hosting, assuming your ISP permits and opens the ports you need.
--
V-Rtifacts - When Virtual Reality Was More Than Virtual

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

Probably way out of my budget. For this particular site I really want to not spend more than $100/year for a site host + Exhange-esque mail.

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to sk1939

I'm paying about $12/month for Hostgator but they do have another plan that's like $7/month. I've been with them for about five years. Love the service.

A lot of web developers I know switched to Namecheap when the GoDaddy debacle went on.

SlowFreddy

join:2009-07-10
reply to sk1939

I use Network Solutions..only for Domain name, no website yet.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3
reply to sk1939

said by sk1939:

Probably way out of my budget. For this particular site I really want to not spend more than $100/year for a site host + Exhange-esque mail.

Microsoft offers exchange hosting for $5/user month = $60/year for 1 year.

I'm sure you can find a decent hosting company for $50/year to host your site.
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

I'll take a look at that, although I still cringe somewhat at $60 a year for something you can find (relatively) free. At the same time, hosting and Exchange for $150/year is still decent cost-wise (considering one's cell phone bill).