uniqs

MacThrasher
Premium Member
join:2002-04-26
Chagrin Falls, OH

MacThrasher

Premium Member

Chardon High School

If you have been living under a rock and haven't seen the latest Colombine incident, it happened in the sleepy little city of Chardon Ohio. This was the latest news conference from yesterday after they thought T.J Lane should be at the detention center for his and the communities protection.

Fast forward this attached video at 7 minutes when David Joyce, a fellow Jaycee brother of mine and prosecutor, does his presentation. He can't even believe that T.J told the arresting officer he chose random targets. It's not bullying or drugs. He needs help.

Youtube link here -

»youtu.be/yXvfIVyf1WE

How does anyone think of shooting 10 bullets at close range to people they don't target?

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat

MVM

Y'know... I keep hearing him described as a frail youngster! I saw a reprint of his picture from his Facebook page, and he looks more like a wrestler to me. There's nothing frail or soft about him. In fact, my first impression was he was just another skin-head punk... between the expression on his smug face and the arms folded across his chest, like some gangsta rapper. I'm finding it very difficult to have any sympathy for him at all. He knew what he was doing was wrong, and he tried to escape being caught. There's no "poor persecuted child" there. And I see the death toll is now up to three. I may be very wrong, but it looks to me that he just wanted to be the biggest "bad-ass" in the neighborhood.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to MacThrasher

MVM

to MacThrasher
Not sure why the prosecutor thinks he could have not done it randomly to people - happens all of the time. The guy at VT who took out the 20+ people (or killed and injured) did not target specific people.

Pac - I know the pic you refer to - don't know how long ago it was though as the pics of him leaving or going to jail look really different - not gansta at all imho...

Unfortunately - the attitude of a lot of folks anymore (old and young) is to just lash out like in the old west. The amount of old and young that think taking matters into your own hands in any way they want, is perfectly fine. Even my mom's former SO (the one who (passed away) made a comment to her about if people are being a jackass - then just shoot them. Some one give you grief in a bar- shoot them. Someone in your house with no weapons - then just shoot them - just claim to be afraid for your life. I can go on and on unfortunately...

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to MacThrasher

Premium Member

to MacThrasher
There was a stabbing today at a Chicago school.

I tend to think the "anti-bully" campaign is failing. Back in my day, kids would fight it out in the school yard and hallways. They'd be able to establish a pecking order and things would be ok. I was one of the outsiders in my school. I didn't mix with the jocks, nor the heads. Both groups didn't like me, and I was ok with it. Sometimes a couple of us would mix it up, and when the fight was broken up, that was that. Last time I fought in school was after I got back from basic training. I got tired of being called a baby killer and spat upon. So I shoved a captain of the field hockey team pretty hard in gym class. They kicked me out of class, and let me take study hall. That was the last time I ever had to "mix it up" with anyone in school. I never felt the need or urge to resort to lethal violence. I also didn't have any/much adult supervision in my last 3 years of high school.
Today, we force them to bottle that crap up, and provide them with no outlet. Until it explodes, and they resort to deadly violence.

I think what we need to do is teach kids that being angry is ok, and show them how to express their anger without harming others. IE boxing, martial arts, something.
I have no problem with letting kids fight, it's all a part of growing up. I did it as a kid, my kids do it now [with each other]. I do have a problem when they feel the urge/need to resort to lethal violence to vent their anger.
Snakeoil

Snakeoil to MacThrasher

Premium Member

to MacThrasher
I just got a robocall from my kid's school. It was an alert to let the parents know that a situation had occurred. The situation was some kid making a comment about in school violence. The police investigated and determined the comment carried no danger. The school has removed said kid, any how.

Which is yet another sign of how far we have sunk. First it was fire in theatres/public places, bomb in airports/mass transit hubs, and now making threats at school.
I can understood the need of caution, but do we have to be so cautious we live in a state of fear and censor?

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Snakeoil

MVM

to Snakeoil
quote:
During his infancy, his parents Thomas Lane Jr. and Sara Nolan were reportedly each charged with domestic abuse against each other. Later arrest charges for Thomas Lane Jr. include assaulting a police officer, domestic abuse against another woman who fathered his children and attempted murder. The attempted-murder charge was dropped, but in 2002-03 he served eight months of a four-year sentence for strangling a woman until she lost consciousness, holding her face under running water and bashing her head against a wall.

By the time T.J. Lane was in elementary school, he was living with his maternal grandparents, Jack and Carol Nolan, who had also taken in his older brother Adam Nolan and a sister. But violence followed him there too. Records indicate that police arrested Adam, 19, multiple times for disorderly conduct, theft and other crimes related to his abuse of prescription drugs and heroin, including several overdoses. (Adam apparently was released into the custody of his grandparents who reportedly said they would try to get him treatment.) On Dec. 9, 2009, during his parents' divorce proceedings, Lane and Nolan, then 15 and 16, were arrested for assault, after getting into a fight with an uncle who had gone to the house.
He never got the chance to learn how to deal with anger....