Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SSJ5
Premium
join:2001-10-23
Conyers, GA

Migrate web and email host

To preface, I am not the "computer guru" and really don't have a lot of the technical knowledge it takes for this project.

With that said, I have been given the responsibility from my employer to migrate our website and email from Dreamhost to a new provider. The costs have already been approved, I am just planning the logistics.

We own our domain, and i am trying to verify now who the registrar is, but haven't had a lot of luck. Our new provider has priced a nice option for hosted microsoft exchange and web server. I need to make sure none of the employees lose email, and also that the site is not down for more than 24 hours.

Can anyone provide advice or a standard walkthrough of the steps I need to take to accomplish these goals?

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2

To find out who your domain registrar is do a whois (your domain name) in google. You may get several hits but one or more of them will return the whois record details which will tell you who your registrar is and how to contact them.
Next, do you own your IP addresses or is your current hosting service providing them? If you don't own them outright, then you will need to get them from your new provider and then have your registrar change their DNS server setup to point to the new addresses after you make the switch.
You might also ask your new hosting provider if they can help you out with all of this stuff.

SSJ5
Premium
Conyers, GA

The registrar is our company, but the person listed no longer works there. I have taken over his position. The owner is not listed as the registrar. The business address is still the same. What type of problems will I run into with that being said?

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2
reply to SSJ5

What is your companies domain name?

SSJ5
Premium
Conyers, GA

I sent you an instant message