uniqs
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

Demand for FibTV ?

Right now, the only pricing which exists for Bell's FibTV includes a internet access bundle. So if you want FiB Tv when you already have an internet connection you end up paying for 2 connections.

I have heard a number of folks say that they might be interested in getting FibTV if they could (but keep their 3rd party internet access).

In order for this to happen, Bell would have to create some pricing for FibTV only service available to those who have internet service from a 3rd party. (either sold by Bell or resold by the ISP)

Do people feel there would be sufficient demand for this ? Or would this create a whole bunch of regulatory issues with too few potential customers to bother ?

Having FibTV available to 3rd party ISPs as a resale would allow them to offer TV/phone/internet bundles.

If there is sufficient demand, should it be sold by Bell to customers, or should it be resold by 3rd party ISPs ? (which means not all ISPs might accept to do this which reduces potential customer base).

I am personally neutral on this (as a cord cutter) but realise that many people still want conventional broadcast TV service.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Since i have not watched Conventional TV in years i am not the best to ask but i would say i believe its best if Its done Thru wholesaling options So i could get all my services on 1 bill from someone other than Bell P:0 also as alot of folks are anti bell even the appearance of not being Bell will make them happy at the very least

rednekcowboy
@aliant.net

rednekcowboy

Anon

It sucks that you can't get FibeTV without getting Bell Internet!!

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to jfmezei

MVM

to jfmezei
I want to replace my Videotron Illico service with FibeTV. But I don't want to pay for another internet or dry loop fee; Videotron didn't charge me a "dry cable fee" when I had nothing but TV service from them.

I don't mind if the Fibe requires another phone line. It would be nice to get the Fibe via TSI on my existing Fibe line, but at the same time, I don't mind having another phone line installed for it.
zorxd
join:2010-02-05
Quebec, QC

zorxd to jfmezei

to jfmezei
On fiber Bell will want to maximize triple play because TV only wouldn't be profitable enough given the costs of deploying fiber

On DSL however, given that phone lines are already there (and CRTC regulated) it could be an option however Bell will still be against it.
jfmezei
Premium Member
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

At the ISP summit last november, Bell stated publcly that it did offer FibTV to ISPs but couldn't workout an agreement with their association and would seek to negotiate with individual ISPs.

It seems to me that there is now a willingness from Bell. Question is whether ISPs would want to offer the tripple play of internet, tv and telephone. Many offer internet and telephone.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to zorxd

Premium Member

to zorxd
said by zorxd:

On fiber Bell will want to maximize triple play because TV only wouldn't be profitable enough given the costs of deploying fiber

FibeTV is not on fibre.
zorxd
Quebec, QC

zorxd

depends where you live
jfmezei
Premium Member
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

FibTV is currently available only in Montreal and Toronto and there are very few homes that are FTTH there (new developments).

The vast majority are reached by VDSL2 over copper (but the type of copper that can carry photons using a Bell technology called a Fib
zorxd
Quebec, QC

zorxd

FibTV is also in Quebec city over FTTH
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to jfmezei

to jfmezei
I'd likely switch to Fibe TV if it didn't require Bell internet (and it were actually available to my address). Beyond actual availability, the bundling is a deal-killer for me.

As far as having it available to 3rd party ISPS - If anything, I'd see the biggest issue being a CS/branding nightmare. It would likely have to be a white-label service rather than wholesale, and I don't see it as being nearly as easy to slap a new label on as phone service is.

I can see that leading to "why does my TV say Bell but my bill says ___?" and people just calling Bell for service because that's what the software shows.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to jfmezei

Premium Member

to jfmezei
FWIW, I wouldn't order FibTV if my life depended on it, not from B#ell, not from a 3rd party. Ever.

I'd eat static first.

Mike
jfmezei
Premium Member
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

If FibTV offers better image quality and better pricing for individual channels, you would still refuse to get it because it comes from Bell ?

I've fought Bell, and I despise Microsoft (who make the Media Room used by Bell). But all of the reports so far rank the FibTV quite highly and it does seem to be reliable.

alienzzz
join:2011-02-17

alienzzz

said by jfmezei:

If FibTV offers better image quality and better pricing for individual channels, you would still refuse to get it because it comes from Bell ?

I've fought Bell, and I despise Microsoft (who make the Media Room used by Bell). But all of the reports so far rank the FibTV quite highly and it does seem to be reliable.

I'd take FIB if it offered cable channels for a decent price (not more than $20-25/month).

As it is I get all the basic FIB channels digitally for free over the air (with the exception of ABC, I suppose). So there is no point for me to pay for the 23 channels I already view. But if I could get channels like Space, CMT that are cable-only, I might sign up if the price is not too high.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by zorxd:

FibeTV is not on fibre.

Yep it runs on the same copper pair your regular phone line does.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to jfmezei

Premium Member

to jfmezei
The only time I'd pay for TV again is if I could get all the channels Ala carte, not basic + , not skinny basic, I get to pick and chose what I want to watch.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

FWIW, I wouldn't order FibTV if my life depended on it, not from B#ell, not from a 3rd party. Ever.

I'd eat static first.

Mike

+1

And the only TV service I'd use is a Netflix like service.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to jfmezei

Premium Member

to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

Correct.

I think the current state of media concentration in this country is pathetic; criminally embarassing.

No way, not a chance in hell.

Mike
dillyhammer

dillyhammer to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

And the only TV service I'd use is a Netflix like service.

+1

We are very close to cutting Shaw Direct loose and going to online services only. Very close.

We're just tired of all the regurgitated shit and incessant commercials.

Probably this summer. Won't even bother with OTA. Just do online stuff and be done with it.

Mike
rainor94
join:2009-03-05

rainor94 to jfmezei

to jfmezei
I would consider it but would likely not get it. I used to have Bell Entertainment and was very happy with the service. Was paying about $100 a month back when the service was available for TV + Internet. Bell then closed Bell Entertainment and forced everyone on FibeTV. FibeTV was more expensive, more restrictive, had contracts, and Bell managed to screw up my billing every month until I canceled.

The service as a service was VERY good. The Home PVR was great, the boxes were responsive and had a really good user interface probably the best tv service I've used. The cost though was not worth it and dealing with Bell's billing department for hours every month was not worth is.
zorxd
Quebec, QC

zorxd to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by donoreo:

said by zorxd:

FibeTV is not on fibre.

Yep it runs on the same copper pair your regular phone line does.

again, not always