share rss forum feed

LT403F

join:2012-03-01
Tahlequah, OK

[DSL] What was that all about?

Hello dslreports,
recently, I was cleaning my computer and I've found this screenshot:
»img197.imageshack.us/img197/7941···imob.jpg
As you (hopefully) can see here, the download speed is 989,4 kb/s. I usually get ~450 kb/s.
Well, it was ~2 years ago, and only on that single day. The thing is, almost nothing changed from back then (my modem, router ISP plan).
What I'm looking for is explanation for what happened and, if possible, a way to always keep that speed (I really doubt that). Information that the site wanted me to post:
Tweak results: »/tweakr/block:···a=normal
For the speed tests, I took two: the one of my ISP, and the other at dslreports. The ISP one showed 4.25 Mbps, while speedtest.net showed 3.79 Mbps.
Line Quality test: »/pingtest/4564···/2885811 The two red boxes:
81-7-119-30.static.zebra.lt 90%
81-7-119-30.static.zebra.lt 87%
I have DSL and I don't think the ISP is important 'cos I live in Lithuania.
No PPPoE.
I'm using Windows 7, back then I was using Vista.
I should and I am getting about 4 Mbps.
My router is D-Link DIR-300 and my modem is Siemens ADSL E-110 (very old)
Also, is it possible that my line is unstable? Sometimes I am getting only about ~1 Mbps, although things like that are very rare (Once in ~two months)
-LT403F

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:4

I am not sure what you are asking. You want 989MB down?

It isn't going to happen.

As your Ping Test shows, you have major packet loss that the hop before yours. This is the CO. It looks like phantom loss to me. If you really had that about of loss, it is going to show at your hop. I doubt that you would even keep a connection if it is real packet loss.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

LT403F

Tahlequah, OK

I think you may have misread. It's 989KB, not MB.
I was kinda asking for a explanation how my download speed suddenly became that high.
About that package loss.. I do have some problems about suddenly losing my internet connection; rebooting my modem and router usually helps.

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
reply to LT403F

Yes, I misread the screen shot. It could have been just a burst and not a sustained download speed; a total erroneous measurement, etc...

You said that you get ~ 450 kb/s. Is that kiloBYTES or kiloBITS?

450KB is 3.7mb
450kb is 0.45mb

Have you checked your signals; have filters on all the phone lines; have you contacted your ISP about your dropped connections?

Try pulling the router and see if your Internet connection is any better.
--

LT403F

Tahlequah, OK

Heh, I get random wrong extremely download speeds that don't really change anything; this one lasted for 30 minutes, until I finished the download.
It's kiloBYTES.
I'll do the other checks when I have time.
Also, what do you mean by "checked your signals"?

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
reply to LT403F

• Your speeds are consistent with what you posted and the speed that you entered in the Tweak Test.

• "Heh, I get random wrong extremely download speeds that don't really change anything; this one lasted for 30 minutes, until I finished the download."

What do you mean by this?

There is no way that the DL speed is double what you have reported. Unless your DL speed tier is twice what you reported in the Tweak Test.

• »office.manualsonline.com/manuals···10i.html

That is a link to your MODEM's manual. There is a section on diagnostics. There are line stats, your connection speeds to the CO, and a diagnostic test.
--

LT403F

Tahlequah, OK

Well, I don't have the top plan my ISP has to offer. Perhaps the ISP's system just glitched and gave me increased speeds?
I tried to do the modem diagnostics; the only way to access my modem's settings was to pull my router (as you suggested earlier). Unfortunately, I could not connect to the internet that way. I'll give it a try later.
Also, I had a chat with my friend who lives nearby. He has the same plan as me, but he gets ~600kb/s downloads.