uniqs

Barry
join:2008-11-04
Burlington, ON

Barry

Why Cogeco needs a realtime meter

Click for full size
Click for full size
I decided to use up the remainder of my bandwidth at the end of the month, like I'm sure most of you do. My router has a built in meter and is always on par with Cogeco's bar a megabyte or two. Just in case I left a 40MB cushion and resumed when it was around 12:15AM.

Now it seems Cogeco has taken that bandwidth resumed on the 1st and put it in with the 29th to get buck. I'll know for sure once I see what they place on the 1st tomorrow as there will be a huge discrepancy. I know it's only a $1, but I'm not impressed and this system could be doing it to a lot of people.

As you can see in my pictures the router states 179,159MB which is 40MB under the limit. Cogeco states that I used 31296.95MB on the 29th while my router states 30699MB. Funnily enough, if I add last night's data (30699) to the data I used on today (900.32) I get 31599.32MB which looks close to Cogeco's number. I resumed heavy downloading on the 1st, but only until 1:00AM and it's been light browsing since, so that could only add a maximum of 50-100MB.

lockejcole
join:2010-06-11
Hamilton, ON

lockejcole

This may be a bug that they will have to fix, to do with the leap year. I got my 85% warning this morning, and the meter site says it was dispatched around 7AM March 1st.... well, of course I'm not at 85% of March's usage, so I think maybe it has not properly rolled over to a new month yet.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by lockejcole:

This may be a bug that they will have to fix, to do with the leap year. I got my 85% warning this morning, and the meter site says it was dispatched around 7AM March 1st.... well, of course I'm not at 85% of March's usage, so I think maybe it has not properly rolled over to a new month yet.

Hilarious, if that is the case.

That's the quality of programming that has gone into their "world class" UBB engine?

Mike

Barry
Burlington, ON

Barry to lockejcole

to lockejcole
They really need some oversight on the meter. That or a complete redo. Realtime, every 2-4 hour updates, etc.

Fired off an email and will know for sure if they pushed the 1sts data onto the 29th if there's a discrepancy on the 2nd with my router stats.

brian_stcat
@cgocable.net

brian_stcat

Anon

Well, just got an 85% notice on my account on the first day of the month?!?!?
This is pretty funny....... well, not really.

DarkAges
@teksavvy.com

DarkAges

Anon

The fact that Cogeco even makes you worry about such things is sad.
Phorkster
Premium Member
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON

Phorkster to Barry

Premium Member

to Barry
I got my 100% warning on March 1st. I use my router as well to watch my usage. My router for Feb shows 170GB, Cogecos 254. I am going to get hit with a $75 charge and I am pissed. Measurement Canada needs to get involved here, this is getting absurd.
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to Barry

to Barry
Not even the shills around here can excuse this behaviour.

Cogego needs to see the inside of a courtroom. Let's get this shady company in front of a judge, please...

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by EdmundGerber:

Not even the shills around here can excuse this behaviour.

Cogego needs to see the inside of a courtroom. Let's get this shady company in front of a judge, please...

I have been saying this all along. Others have agreed. I took it so far as to put together some technical documentation, a website for signing up, and contacted a law firm. I couldn't get past the law clerk that fields the inquiries. After about 8 months and over 100 signups, I gave up.

There's no appetite for this.

Perhaps I went about it the wrong way. Who knows.

And do note, it is contrary to DSLr policy to muster support for such things publicly on the forums, so exercise caution.

Mike

Barry
Burlington, ON

Barry

Seems like the meter is down right now. I hope it's for maintenance.
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user to brian_stcat

to brian_stcat
said by brian_stcat :

Well, just got an 85% notice on my account on the first day of the month?!?!?
This is pretty funny....... well, not really.

when do your billing period end? mine's on the 18th or something, for example. it's not always 1st-to-1st.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by cog_biz_user:

when do your billing period end? mine's on the 18th or something, for example. it's not always 1st-to-1st.

It always 1st to EOM for the bandwidth meter though, which is why there have been so many issues with people changing plans on their billing dates or in the middle of the month.
Phorkster
Premium Member
Windsor, ON

Phorkster to Barry

Premium Member

to Barry
I sent a lovely 2 page email to my local Measurement Canada office and instead of the usual, "Sorry we can't help you" I got "We'll take a look into this and reply back to you." After I quoted their website motto and cut and paste their section about having a valid complaint, I issued a formal complaint about Cogeco's meters.

I know its likely going nowhere but I feel a little bit better!

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by Phorkster:

I know its likely going nowhere but I feel a little bit better!

+1

Imagine is EVERY Cogeco customer did this, and copied their MP and the Industry critics while they were at it.

Hint hint.

Mike

xfinisherx
join:2011-05-06

xfinisherx to Barry

to Barry
Strange stuff going on with me too!

I got my 85% usage on like the 25th of Feb.

And then again on the 1st of March!

Theres not a chance I did 35 or so GB in a day.

I checked online, and my Feb usage was low, like 37GB of the 40 in my Express 8

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by xfinisherx:

Strange?

I have much different words for it.

Consider bringing this to the attention of Measurement Canada, whether they like it or not.

Mike

brian_stcat
@cgocable.net

brian_stcat to xfinisherx

Anon

to xfinisherx
said by xfinisherx:

Thats exactly what happened to me.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by brian_stcat :

Thats exactly what happened to me.

Oh oh. This sounds a little more widespread....

Cogeco may have to bring in their world-class developers to fix their world-class UBB engine. Funny how these "bugs" always seem to err on the side of Cogeco's bank account, woot?

Man, I don't know how the government lets them get away with this bullshit. If these shenanigans went on in just about any other industry people would be going to prison for extended periods of time and paying massive fines.

And I don't know how anyone - from Cogeco or otherwise - could even remotely refer to Cogeco's metering as accurate. What a crock.

Mike

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

said by dillyhammer:

Cogeco may have to bring in their world-class developers to fix their world-class UBB engine. Funny how these "bugs" always seem to err on the side of Cogeco's bank account, woot?

Question - if any business users would chime in. I rarely (if ever) see an error on Cogeco's side with bandwith. In all cases they show less than I transfer. I don't know if this is more likely to happen on the business side, or just a fluke.

Or do the business users not check since they don't pay for overages.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

We don't pay for overages, and probably never will.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

said by Gone:

We don't pay for overages, and probably never will.

Oh, I know that. It's just where everyone sees their meter fail on Cogeco's side mine is always the other way. Just wondered if that was just me (for whatever reason) or if other business users have seen the same.

I realise that most business users likely don't check as they don't pay for overages.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by A Lurker:

business users likely don't check as they don't pay for overages.

FWIW, I checked mine (also was on business) only to satisfy my morbid curiosity, and I never went over. For the most part, they weren't too bad. Some days were really off. The last 2 months they were off more than usual.

Mike
Expand your moderator at work

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings to A Lurker

to A Lurker

(topic move) Why Cogeco needs a realtime meter

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 3 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »Why Cogeco needs a realtime meter
Phorkster
Premium Member
Windsor, ON

1 edit

Phorkster to Barry

Premium Member

to Barry

Re: Why Cogeco needs a realtime meter

So I got my reply from Measurement Canada today regarding the fact that they do not monitor ISP meters etc. However I was re-directed to: »www.ccts-cprst.ca/ which handles telecommunications complaints, we'll see how this goes.

PS: Also having my MP go have a chat with the Minister of Industry.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by Phorkster:

So I got my reply from Measurement Canada today regarding the fact that they do not monitor ISP meters etc. However I was re-directed to: »www.ccts-cprst.ca/ which handles telecommunications complaints, we'll see how this goes.

PS: Also having my MP go have a chat with the Minister of Industry.

Smoke. Mirrors. Rinse. Repeat.

The government and the bureaucrats have no appetite for taking on UBB at retail. The corruption involved here is totally systemic.

I do appreciate your effort though. The more people that do this, the more likely it is someone will raise an eyebrow and say "this ain't right".

Mike