From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro

NetFixer to VontageCusto

Premium Member

to VontageCusto

Re: I am a Vonage customer for 10 years - Filing FCC Complaint

The FCC's responsibility is more for technical issues than for customer service or business practice issues.

You may want to consider filing a complaint with the FTC since fraudulent business practices does fall under their auspices.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

The FCC's responsibility is more for technical issues than for customer service or business practice issues.

I think that the FCC is broadly interested in this as well.

It certainly doesn't hurt to file an online complaint with them.

Vonage's behavior might be construed as interfering with number portability, which the FCC does pay attention to.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

said by NetFixer:

I think that the FCC is broadly interested in this as well.

It certainly doesn't hurt to file an online complaint with them.

Vonage's behavior might be construed as interfering with number portability, which the FCC does pay attention to.

I was suggesting a complaint to the FTC in addition to the complaint the OP had already decided to file with the FCC.

Also, the OP made no mention of porting a number, just closing an account. Attempting to close an account with a number port process active would pretty much kill the number port process. If the OP were actually doing that, then perhaps it is a good thing that Vonage was not answering the phone.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

I was suggesting a complaint to the FTC in addition to the complaint the OP had already decided to file with the FCC.

Agreed, couldn't hurt, though I imagine that the FTC would bounce it over.

The OP could also see if Vonage had entered into a consent decree with the Florida Attorney General.
said by NetFixer:

Attempting to close an account with a number port process active would pretty much kill the number port process.

Of course. He should have ported the number away, rather than doing a cold cancel.

Why would you not want to retain usage of a phone number that you've had for more than 10 years? That puzzled me!

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

said by NetFixer:

Agreed, couldn't hurt, though I imagine that the FTC would bounce it over.

Possibly, but they would be passing the buck that they are supposed to be watching if they did.

»ftc.gov/ftc/about.shtm
said by FTC :

Our Mission

To prevent business practices that are anticompetitive or deceptive or unfair to consumers; to enhance informed consumer choice and public understanding of the competitive process; and to accomplish this without unduly burdening legitimate business activity.

»transition.fcc.gov/aboutus.html
said by FCC :

About the FCC

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent United States government agency. The FCC was established by the Communications Act of 1934 and is charged with regulating interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable. The FCC's jurisdiction covers the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and U.S. possessions.

The FCC and the FTC have very different primary missions.

CONageUmean
@comcast.net

CONageUmean to PX Eliezer704

Anon

to PX Eliezer704
read on another complaint site that although customer ported the number to a new carrier and vonage was aware of this (admitted in emails to customer) they continued to charge number even though they no longer serviced the number.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by CONageUmean :

read on another complaint site that although customer ported the number to a new carrier and vonage was aware of this (admitted in emails to customer) they continued to charge number even though they no longer serviced the number.

I haven't had that happen, but I have had (with two different phone numbers) Vonage keep the number(s) in their database after a port out, which prevented Vonage callers from reaching my numbers (Vonage customers would get a "not in service" announcement). It took threats of FCC/FTC complaints (both from me and the other carrier) to get that fixed.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

I've seen multiple reports of that happening with Vonage.

Not sure if that's because of a systemic problem, or simply because as a large provider they'll have a large number of portouts.

But of course they should have fixed that for you without such a hassle....