spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

linbau

@rr.com

Another ARea Code Blocked!

Add 508-907, this has been working for me and all of a sudden I can't call to this area code in Massachusetts, calling from Florida. I can call local, toll-free, other area codes but not this one. Is there another product like magicJack I can get?

vintagewino

join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

See: »"GVJack App" Converts MJ Dongles To Google Voice

There's an app that will use the MJ dongle (cleared out of MJ software, and all set to go to googlevoice.

Yeah, the list of blocked areas is growing a bit too rapidly.

Gork
Ou812ic

join:2001-10-06
Bountiful, UT

^^^ This!

Another option is Nettalk. My MJ subscription is up come April and I was going to go with Nettalk 'til redpepper See Profile announced the availability of GVJack...

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

1 recommendation

reply to linbau

Re: Another Area Code (not) Blocked! ... just an exchange.

Once again, it is the decision on the part of YMAX/MJ to block calls to high priced, small carrier terminators. The primary carrier (ROBC) for Natick MA is Verizon ... so calls to any number in Natick that is served by Verizon will go through.

Calls to Natick exchanges that are handled by Verizon landline, Verizon Cellular, T-Mobile, AT&T Wireless, Sprint will all likely go through.

Calls to Natick exchanges handled by CLECs (Competitive Local Exchange Carriers) or some designated Rural Carriers (although there do not seem to be any of the latter in Natick) may be blocked because they charge higher rates to MJ for terminating calls.

Some of the major CLECs ... e.g., Level 3 Comm or Bandwidth Com or XO ... may have termination charges (agreements) acceptable to MJ. Other CLECs may not ... Norfolk County Internet, Conversant Comm (assignee for the 508-907 exchange), Broadview Networks. {These examples are speculation only, since I do not actually know which carriers have a termination agreement with MJ.}

Lastly, if your contacts in Natick were to subscribe to MJ ... heaven forbid! ... they would have a 508-310-5xxx or 508-745-5xxx number ... controlled by YMAX (a CLEC) which is/was the parent company of MJ.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1

That's kind of strange. Natick isn't what I'd call rural by any definition of the term. There's probably a really interesting story behind this that YMax and MJ, as well as the terminating carrier, don't want to tell us about.

In light of recent FCC activity, I'd suggest filling out a complaint form at:
»esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

There's a number I call on occasion in 508 that is in a rural area and had been blocked in the past. If I find it blocked again, I'll join you in filing a complaint. That way, maybe we'll find out what's going on.

EDIT: Now I see why. 508-907-xxxx is Conversent aka One aka ChoiceOne. It's still not legal.

linbaug

@rr.com

I reported this to the FCC today!

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to DrStrange

said by DrStrange:

508-907-xxxx is Conversent aka One aka ChoiceOne. It's still not legal.

And now it is part of EarthLink.

---------------------------

But I can't imagine why MJ would single it out, it's a huge CLEC....

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1

Earthlink? You don't say?!

Gods help them next time they call for tech support.

VirtualLarry
Premium
join:2003-08-01
reply to linbau

Re: Another ARea Code Blocked!

As of today, I cannot call 503 (OR) area code any more with MJ, from MA.

»MJ no longer completes calls to 503 area code, was working