uniqs
share rss forum feed

fegul
Premium
join:2004-08-23
united state
kudos:1

[Lens] Photojournalist lens recommendations for cropped sensor

So I'm looking to buy some lenses for my Canon T2i which has an APS-C sensor and I'm looking for some wide-angle type lenses that can do double duty in stills and video.

Bokeh works great in video so I've been considering a 35mm for that reason but I'm also considering a good 17-40mm lens for landscape/natural life type shots.

The only lens I currently have is the kit 18-55 so any lens is really a step up but I don't have an unlimited budget so $1,500 L-series lenses probably won't be happening

Any suggestions?
--
Fegul.com

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

Re: [Lens] Photojournalist lens recommendations for cropped sens

I strongly recommend the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS DC EX HSM. $594 at B&H right now »www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 ··· _DC.html

And then if you're really wanting a fast prime for low light, shallow depth of field work, check out either the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 $489 or the Canon 28mm f/1.8 $484
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
reply to fegul
used canon 24-70L 2.8 first generation or used canon 17-40L.

check out the used/buy section on
»www.fredmiranda.com or »photography-on-the.net/forum/

fegul
Premium
united state
reply to drew
I found this Tamron with similar specs for about 150-200 less used: »www.amazon.com/Tamron-17-50mm-As ··· duct_top

Would you still recommend the Sigma over this one?
--
Fegul.com

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

1 recommendation

The Sigma is as sharp as the Tamron, if not a tad sharper.

The Sigma has vibration controll, optical stabiliation, image stabilization, whatever you want to call it.

I would spend the extra money, but that's me.
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to fegul
With an APS-C sensor, you may want to go wider than that. For Landscapes you should look at something like the Canon 10-22mm or the Sigma 10-20 mm

fegul
Premium
united state
I took a look at some of the sample shots on Youtube with that focal length and you're right, it definitely provides for some of the more interesting shots that I'd like to capture.

From a cost perspective, it might make more sense to get a 10-22 for some creative vid and landscape, keep the 18-55 for the general range (although that will be the next to get upgraded), and get the Sigma 30mm f1.4 for the bokeh and low-light situations.

My only hesitation is that the 10-22 is only meant for APS-C sensors so I feel like the resale value might suffer a little.
--
Fegul.com

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
said by fegul:

My only hesitation is that the 10-22 is only meant for APS-C sensors so I feel like the resale value might suffer a little.

Do you want a lens or an investment? There are more people with APS-C cameras than there are with full frame.

fegul
Premium
united state
I'd like both but it's certainly a minor hesitation, not one that will keep me from buying them
--
Fegul.com

fegul
Premium
united state
reply to fegul
Just found a used Canon 28-70mm 2.8L near me for about $750. Apparently the model is discontinued (replaced by the 24-70mm) but it might still be worthwhile to have.

Would that be a worthwhile lens to cover the 30mm range of the Sigma?

Thanks for helping out a new guy
--
Fegul.com