Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit

[CATV] Cox Supports Basic Service Tier Encryption

While Cox has not (yet) submitted their own filing regarding the FCC request for comments on Basic Service Tier Encryption. Cox has signed a filing submitted today by the National Cable & Telecommunications Association in favor of Basic Service Tier Encryption.

»apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment/view?id=6016996305

Here is the link to the FCC NOTICE OF PROPOSED RULEMAKING
»apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment/view?id=6016869064

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
I still have two analog TVs connected to basic analog service and most everyone I know does also. I would hate to see the FCC eliminate this mandate, especially if it could potentially eliminate the Locals in Clear QAM.

There are not many consumers voicing any opposition.
»apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/view?name=00-67
Expand your moderator at work

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Cricket Broadband
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to BryanInPHX

Re: [CATV] Cox Supports Basic Service Tier Encryption

I saw this coming so I bought a ceton cable card tuner.

»cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-4-pcie/

I love my HTPC. If cox were to encrypt basic cable my HTPC would be rendered useless. So I broke down and got a ceton cable card tuner. I now get HD that I did not have before I am also not paying cox or Tivo $20 for a DVR service well worth the investment IMO.

tim85254

join:2010-07-15
reply to BryanInPHX
I've posted a letter in opposition, although it doesn't appear on the FCC's site yet.

Don't be intimidated by the short list of big names. All it takes is the time to write something, proof it and convert to PDF. You're making an ex parte filing. I encourage everyone who's got a TV in their garage or spare room to comment. If you're not sure you have something to say, read some of the industry's comments - believe me, there's plenty to refute. Besides, when your next prospective employer googles your name it'll give them something to read.

And after writing a letter refuting the "green" arguments I saw posted - now I realize that just my tuning adapters use 750 kwh per year.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

1 edit
reply to BryanInPHX
al I have to say is if the locals want cox or other cable companies to pay them for the signal why should they remain in the clear? there is OTA

if cox gets them for free then they should be clear qam

rv65
Premium
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!
kudos:1
reply to BryanInPHX
This docket is also known as 11-169.

BryanInPHX
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
said by rv65:

This docket is also known as 11-169.

Thanks, Can't believe I overlooked that. Good to see more consumer comments here.
»apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/vie···e=11-169

Foxbat121

join:2001-04-25
Herndon, VA
reply to BryanInPHX
I'm all for getting rid of analog channels as they hog most of bandwidth. But I'd like to see locals stay in clearQAM. That or use the freed up bandwidth to get rid of SDV and the aweful TA.

nmlobo

join:2002-11-02
Yorktown, VA
I believe in your area, and mine for sure, Cox employs SDV, bandwidth really is not an issue.

tim85254

join:2010-07-15
Bandwidth isn't, but the power consumption and heat dissipation by the SDV adapters sure is.

I spend more money annually on electricity used by my TV's changing channels than I spend on my kitchen refrigerator.

Foxbat121

join:2001-04-25
Herndon, VA
reply to nmlobo
Bandwidth is always an issue. SDV is a work around. But Cox could certainly either use the freed up bandwidth to get rid of SDV altogether or add new channels to compete with satellite.

The TA I got here is ridiculously huge and hot.

dmine45

join:2002-11-03
Fredericksburg, VA
reply to BryanInPHX
My Cisco STA 1520 SDV tuning adapter uses quite a bit of electricity, is very hot and doesn't work half the darn time.

Nearby Comcrap got rid of their analogs but did NOT go SDV like Cox. Wish Cox had gotten rid of their analogs and not gone SDV. Then I wouldn't have to fool with their piece of crap tuning adapter.

KahunaNui

join:2000-05-01
Fayetteville, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to jchambers28
said by jchambers28:

I saw this coming so I bought a ceton cable card tuner.

»cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-4-pcie/

Howdy jc! This is very interesting, thank you for sharing it. But since you still need to get a subscription to cable, what are you really saving? Could you point us in a direction to learn more about this? What is the minimum [monthly] 'package' needed for this device? Our funds are low which is why we haven't had tv service for some time now.

Thanks

jchambers28

Alma, AR
cox economy package for $40

jchambers28

Alma, AR
reply to BryanInPHX
Price drop on the TV tuner get it while it hot.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···15116072

jchambers28

Alma, AR
reply to dmine45
damn that thing HUGE.