joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to whizkid3

Premium Member

to whizkid3

Re: Any reason I would need to step up to 30A circuit

Picked up and installed the 2nd unit today, final configuration is 2x 1400's with 5-15P plugs on the same 20A circuit. Should have taken a picture of the label but basically it gives the max load depending on what plug is fitted. I have a 2200XL at another site with a 20A plug.

APC says you can even put a 15A plug on a 2200: »sturgeon.apcc.com/Kbasew ··· Document

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3

MVM

said by joako:

APC says you can even put a 15A plug on a 2200

You left a few bits out. APC says this only about the exact model SU2200NET and then only if you limit the load to 1200VA. All of the other APC units must have a 20A plug. And all of these, the 2200NET included, must be on a dedicated circuit. Note that the 2200NET ships with a 20A plug because a dedicated 20A circuit for this UPS alone is what is required in most applications.

Like I said before, it is pretty foolish to spend money like this for UPS equipment, and then have the circuit breaker trip and dump your IT load.

What are the model #s you are using?
What are the nameplate ratings of your UPSs including amps, VA, and W (or kVA & kW)?
What the peak load of your IT equipment in W (or kW)?
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to joako

Premium Member

to joako
Two things.

I have that same beige APC UPS (SU1400RMXLNET is mine) or one very similar. The back of mine even recommends a 20A circuit for full load capabilities. It can run on a 15A circuit but at reduced capacity. I don't want to try and climb back there to get a look at it right now though.

Second, I hope you have some kind of support brackets in the back holding up the back of that UPS? I know from experience it is HEAVY. You only have the TOP screws in place. Gravity will pull against those screws and eventually rip them out or break them. If you only want to do two screws put them in the bottom two holes but honestly with something that heavy I'd put all four in.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

It looks like he has the APC brackets in place. The brackets support all of the load, so the screws are there only to keep the UPS from sliding forward.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Hard to tell honestly. If that's the case then yeah that's all you need. I see threads behind the lower holes but that could just be an installed cage nut.